Genesis DXT Soon to Become the Judson Revelation LP

Dan Markley drove his Sprinter system down from Missouri, an 18 hour drive, to have us reengineer his Genesis DXT. This unit and van are under two years old. I will take more pictures of the interior. The trim and shelving are outstanding.

kdk_0508.jpg

With the unit installed it was virtually impossible for Dan to access the components; especially the pressure pump and the belts for the blower. You will see in my photos as I am converting the truckmount to an LP system, I am eliminating a tremendous amount of unnecessary parts. This removal of parts is opening up the unit tremendously for servicing the components.

kdk_0510.jpg

Dan is going to let us simplify the system and eliminate all proprietary parts. We will be removing a lot of electrical parts. Dan was having a lot of reliability issues with the unit.

One other big issue was that when he would clean high flow under commercial carpet cleaning conditions, his temperature would drop below 170. We are going to add a #4 Little Giant heater which will give Dan a sustained 240 degrees on high flow.

His fuel consumption for this heater will be ½ gallon per hour. This additional fuel cost will be compensated for by reducing his engine rpm from 3,000 rpm to 2,000 rpm. Not only will the lower rpm cut fuel consumption by 1/3, but it will also increase the engine life by 30%. The unit will also be a lot quieter.

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

In this set of photos, we are removing the engine coolant heat exchanger. Notice as we are removing parts, it is opening the system up. Behind the engine coolant heat exchanger is the exhaust diverter.

This diverter system is a very innovative design. I really like it. It actually uses a vacuum ram to actuate the exhaust diverter with the vacuum of the truckmount. We removed the exhaust diverter and bypassed it completely.

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

The water box was blocking access to the pump. Also, the float system was electrical. You can see the electrical floats in the lid. These were wired into a relay which activated a solenoid valve for the incoming water. The water box relay and solenoid will all be removed and a mechanical float valve will be installed in his water supply tank.

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

As you can see in these photos, removing the water tank has really opened up the access to the pressure pump and blower belts.

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

The main exhaust heat exchanger was located under the bottom right of the unit. We removed it and the electrical switches that went along with it.

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

This electrical control panel will also be removed.

IMG_0141.jpg

Powerclean made a very nice filter system for the blower.

IMG_0142.jpg

The belt-driven pump out system will also be removed and a diaphragm system will be installed.

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

As you can see as we are removing parts we are really opening the system up for service accessibility.

One severe issue with this unit was that the pressure pump was unable to move forward or backwards to tighten the belts. As you can see in the photo, on the right side of the pump the chrome shaft cover is touching the vacuum inlet pipe to the blower, preventing the pump from moving forward.

Also notice the pulley of the pump is almost touching the machine frame, preventing the pump from being moved backwards. Dan would just have to keep buying new belts when they got loose, because there was no way to tighten them.

IMG_0153.jpg

I will post update photos as we continue with this conversion.

Mikey P

Administrator
good lord, what a cluster of all fucks.

no wonder they went out of business.

Just as bad as that POS White Magic Lance tried to buy.

Any retailer who would sell that nightmare to a customer should be shot.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Thank God i don't own a Genesis anymore. The only thing worse was the HM 470. Just shook itself to death. Although my 450 is still tickin at 4K hours.
Al

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Leslie Judson Jones said:
One severe issue with this unit was that the pressure pump was unable to move forward or backwards to tighten the belts. As you can see in the photo, on the right side of the pump the chrome shaft cover is touching the vacuum inlet pipe to the blower, preventing the pump from moving forward.

Also notice the pulley of the pump is almost touching the machine frame, preventing the pump from being moved backwards. Dan would just have to keep buying new belts when they got loose, because there was no way to tighten them.

Since the belt goes straight down, I would think moving the pump forward or back would do little to change the tension anyway. Shimming the pump up, or better yet, putting a hinge at one end and an adjusting screw at the other to raise/lower the pulley end would be the way to go.

The whole machine is a poorly thought out design for sure.

John Watson

Al I don't think so. Diesel for the motor and propane for the heat system.

But hearing of Les's tacticts, I might be wrong. :lol: :lol:

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
That makes a little more sense John. The other way sounded kink of "explosive" LP at a 30:1 compression ratio?
Al

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
My Genesis has an Idler pulley system for the Cat pump, independent of the blower system. Save some of those unused parts, like the belt drive APO. I might be able to use them.

The older Genesis was alot simpler. Mine is still roarin' along at about 5000hours. I think they "over-engineered" the diesel version.

F

FB7777

His fuel consumption for this heater will be ½ gallon per hour. This additional fuel cost will be compensated for by reducing his engine rpm from 3,000 rpm to 2,000 rpm. Not only will the lower rpm cut fuel consumption by 1/3, but it will also increase the engine life by 30%. The unit will also be a lot quieter.

aren't you going to lose significant vacuum strength by reducing the engine speed by a third?

F

FB7777

no kidding Lee

THose pictures are enough to keep me away from slide ins

I just did my yearly maintenance on my Butlers this week

I ordered two new 125 foot Live solution lines from Windtrax and an extended routine maintenance at my mechanics :mrgreen:

crash1big

Glad I didn't buy that one. Looked at it though. Didn't care for the diesel. Love the one I do have. Runs great.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
WOW! I thought my Powerclean Victory was bad. Maybe I don't feel so bad anymore,----------- no it doesn't help. Looks like your making the best of a bad situation.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
the blower is dependent on engine speed and pulley size so yes, the blower will suck less air unless he also changes the pulley

gene

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Should not have bought it. Rich people buy whatever they want. But if I bought this machine and spent this much money, I would not let les touch it. Les could repair this machine to factory specs or how it should be. Les does good work, but.................. make the machine run how it was desighned but improve it. This is sad seeing all those wires jerked out. Or the guy should just buy a new judson and be done with it... unless........ les doesn't charge much. But I suspect this guys bill will be in the 7k range. Am I right?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

danielc said:
Geez what a mess!

If you lower rpm, won't that reduce vac?
Daniel,

This is a great question. You would think reducing the blower rpm would reduce the cfm at the wand, but it will not. Basically the reducing of the cfm is only going to reduce the amount of cfm being relieved through the relief valve, not the wands. The Roots 59 will produce 850 cfm.

Big blowers like this that are used on truckmounts are not being used for the cfm. They are being used to load the engine to produce heat. I would say when I am finished with my reengineering that this unit will have something like 650 cfm which is still more air than two wands can use while being used to clean carpets.

I am able to reduce the engine rpm because the engine is no longer used for heating. Check out my video of my test run of the unit today.

kingjoelking said:
How much does a pimp like this cost???
Joey,

I would say that the cost of this reengineering is going to be around $7500, but the parts that I am removing can be resold for around $2500 - $3,000. So the bottom line on this system is going to be around $4500 - $5,000. This cost is well justified due to the increases life and performance that I am giving him.

dgardner said:

Since the belt goes straight down, I would think moving the pump forward or back would do little to change the tension anyway. Shimming the pump up, or better yet, putting a hinge at one end and an adjusting screw at the other to raise/lower the pulley end would be the way to go.

The whole machine is a poorly thought out design for sure.
Dan,

We’ve removed the frame now and it is allowing the pump to move considerably more. This is more than enough to keep the belts tight.

IMG_0172.jpg

joeynbgky said:
Should not have bought it. Rich people buy whatever they want. But if I bought this machine and spent this much money, I would not let les touch it. Les could repair this machine to factory specs or how it should be. Les does good work, but.................. make the machine run how it was desighned but improve it. This is sad seeing all those wires jerked out. Or the guy should just buy a new judson and be done with it... unless........ les doesn't charge much. But I suspect this guys bill will be in the 7k range. Am I right?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
Joey,

Even when this machine was running properly, there were just not enough BTUs to maintain 240 on a high flow wand no matter what is being tried.

We did a test run of the unit today. Basically we were playing with the engine rpm to find the sweet spot. We found it at 2200 rpms. This unit had vibration issues below and above 2200 rpm. There were a lot of hoses worn through and wires chaffed.

As you see in the video, the unit is now extremely quiet and smooth. The blower noise that you do hear is actually coming from the blower inlet from not being connected to the recovery tank. You will notice as I walk around the machine as I pass the blower inlet, the noise is louder. The unit is going to have something around 650 cfm and under a full load at this rpm it has virtually no rpm drop.

CLICK ON PHOTO TO PLAY VIDEO
th_MVI_0177.jpg

IMG_0166BBB.jpg

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
danielc said:
Geez what a mess!

If you lower rpm, won't that reduce vac?
Daniel,

This is a great question. You would think reducing the blower rpm would reduce the cfm at the wand, but it will not. Basically the reducing of the cfm is only going to reduce the amount of cfm being relieved through the relief valve, not the wands. The Roots 59 will produce 850 cfm.

Big blowers like this that are used on truckmounts are not being used for the cfm. They are being used to load the engine to produce heat. I would say when I am finished with my reengineering that this unit will have something like 650 cfm which is still more air than two wands can use while being used to clean carpets.

I am able to reduce the engine rpm because the engine is no longer used for heating. Check out my video of my test run of the unit today.

Les

would this be true for my machine since it has a 5.8 blower? Meaning do I have to run it wide open.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Nice job Les.

That machine has lots of life left with a water cooled diesel engine and now with no proprietary parts.

A couple of questions come to mind:

1. Why LP? He is all set up for diesel. Why not add a generator and rock a diesel heater?

2. The downfall of EH units is failures in their ability to regulate heat. Why not build a boiler type HE that regulates heat mechanically rather than electronically?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom