Getting started with a portable.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I prefer not to nuke the carpet when using a portable..... The whole thing about not getting everything you put down out is something that I think about... I prefer HEAT over Nuking it... I also have a 35' section of 2" hose that I run as my main hose for portable work... I carry a total of 50' of 2" hose though... I rarely ever move the machine once I set it up... I prefer auto fill and dump every room to 2 rooms... I also use a RV360i... So I rely on the Heat and scrubbing action of the RE to get the carpets clean...

If there's a hose bib close to where I unload, I will fill the machine before going up to the unit (depending if I'm using propane heat or electric heat).

I am one not to leave or roll the machine on clean carpet... So if I set it up in the kitchen and have to carry the machine over 20' of living room carpet to the door, that's what I do... One of the exhaust of the vacuums on my machine points down towards the floor and I wouldn't want it to leave a dirty mark if I happen to foam over or have blowby....

I guess to each their own, as I am sure you do a great job, but I find that treating with a good stiff cocktail and a simple scrub, in combination with my method of running my machine and it's layout, is not only more effective, but also more time-efficient because of it's simplicity, as I only need to layout and manage 2 power cords behind me, and a vac/sol line to manage up front.

Set-up is fast and easy, and breakdown is even faster and even easier.

A long fill hose from the sink dropped right down into the fresh tank and used intermittently as opposed to being fixed to the machine and under constant pressure, allows for simple, safe, and efficient filling as needed, and can be taken out and placed out of the way as needed, and can be used to rinse out the waste tank if necessary, and can be used to fill bottles and sprayer jugs.

Repositioning the machine is a breeze, if even needed at all, and if so, is usually only a short distance if planned the right way.

My scrubber is deployed, and then out of the way.

It's not as if I am not filling my machine with hot azz tap water.

Realistically, how much additional heat can be maintained under constant flow from an 1500-2000 watt electric heating element, and is it enough of a benefit to warrant the additional time and effort involved?

I don't think it is.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I guess to each their own, as I am sure you do a great job, but I find that treating with a good stiff cocktail and a simple scrub, in combination with my method of running my machine and it's layout, is not only more effective, but also more time-efficient because of it's simplicity, as I only need to layout and manage 2 power cords behind me, and a vac/sol line to manage up front.

Set-up is fast and easy, and breakdown is even faster and even easier.

A long fill hose from the sink dropped right down into the fresh tank and used intermittently as opposed to being fixed to the machine and under constant pressure, allows for simple, safe, and efficient filling as needed, and can be taken out and placed out of the way as needed, and can be used to rinse out the waste tank if necessary, and can be used to fill bottles and sprayer jugs.

Repositioning the machine is a breeze, if even needed at all, and if so, is usually only a short distance if planned the right way.

My scrubber is deployed, and then out of the way.

It's not as if I am not filling my machine with hot azz tap water.

Realistically, how much additional heat can be maintained under constant flow from an 1500-2000 watt electric heating element, and is it enough of a benefit to warrant the additional time and effort involved?

I don't think it is.
You'll have to try one. I use the edic heat and run 2000w (really 1850w) it adds enough to make me not want to have it. I use a 4 flow with it and it keeps up ok

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I'm with you frank....Nuke-dwell-scrub i'll either use my 175 w/carpet brush or my 15inch CRB, I think an oreck orbiter is in my very near future though, I know you use one so i'll take your advise on which brush is best overall to use, Is it the black one? I have an oreck store about a 45min drive from me, came so close to just going and getting a new one a few times, which model would you recommend? I would think any of them would be fine as long as it had the 50ft cord. Also would be curious to know what you use as your main
"Nuke it" Chem. I have a Mytee M5 and just bought the LTD5 currently using an aw29 wand but am going to purchase a west pac 0530 wand soon, I also use 2inch hose all the way to the wand, most jobs 50ft or less hose needed sometimes I add an extra 20foot section if needed or just tempory move the machine.

I'm sure buying a new one direct from Oreck is not going to be a bargain.

Easy to save a 200+ bucks more sourcing a used one on CL or ebay where you can usually find them for around 200 bucks used.

I think it is the 500MC that is the one with the 10 year warranty and 3/4hp motor, as opposed to 1 year on most of the other models with the 1/2 hp motors.
I have used both and really could not tell a difference.

Before some dingleberry chimes in, of course a 90+lb 175 is more effective and faster than a small Oreck, but everyday residential, the Oreck is more than effective enough, and easier to hump around than a big rotary especially in furnished units.

Best bang for the buck as far as lighter weight agitators.

I am not a fan of the brushes.........too little contact area from only a thin outer ring of bristles, although it kicks ass along baseboards as the bristles drop down right up against, and flush to the wall.

13 inch red pads and 13 inch MF combo scrub pads are what I keep on hand.

I have been in love with a good stiff mix of Grease Eraser.

Freaking Mother's Milk.

Although I like to use the term "nuke", I don't mean it to be overkill by any means, but more to imply not being a PH woosie who is skeered to BOOST if needed, and is overly concerned about voiding a fictitious warranty, and tests the PH of the carpet with test strips after cleaning to make sure the PH is not left higher than whatever they are deluded to believe it should be.....................:oldrolleyes:

kevinj6121

Name
kevin
I'm sure buying a new one direct from Oreck is not going to be a bargain.

Easy to save a 200+ bucks more sourcing a used one on CL or ebay where you can usually find them for around 200 bucks used.

I think it is the 500MC that is the one with the 10 year warranty and 3/4hp motor, as opposed to 1 year on most of the other models with the 1/2 hp motors.
I have used both and really could not tell a difference.

Before some dingleberry chimes in, of course a 90+lb 175 is more effective and faster than a small Oreck, but everyday residential, the Oreck is more than effective enough, and easier to hump around than a big rotary especially in furnished units.

Best bang for the buck as far as lighter weight agitators.

I am not a fan of the brushes.........too little contact area from only a thin outer ring of bristles, although it kicks ass along baseboards as the bristles drop down right up against, and flush to the wall.

13 inch red pads and 13 inch MF combo scrub pads are what I keep on hand.

I have been in love with a good stiff mix of Grease Eraser.

Freaking Mother's Milk.

Although I like to use the term "nuke", I don't mean it to be overkill by any means, but more to imply not being a PH woosie who is skeered to BOOST if needed, and is overly concerned about voiding a fictitious warranty, and tests the PH of the carpet with test strips after cleaning to make sure the PH is not left higher than whatever they are deluded to believe it should be.....................:oldrolleyes:

Thank You Frank,
love that last paragraph
" Although I like to use the term "nuke", I don't mean it to be overkill by any means, but more to imply not being a PH woosie who is skeered to BOOST if needed, and is overly concerned about voiding a fictitious warranty, and tests the PH of the carpet with test strips after cleaning to make sure the PH is not left higher than whatever they are deluded to believe it should be":oldrolleyes:

Although I know if I'm patient I could find a good used one for less then new, I'm generally not a fan of buying used equipment for my business unless it is from someone local so that I can go check it out in person first. Cheapest new I found is from amazon for 349, I just sold an older 175 I had for 350 so i'll just consider it a wash i guess. As for the Grease Eraser, I'll give it a try soley based on your recommendation as I trust your opinion, I've read a lot of your posts and seems like you and I think a lot alike, I like your outlook and way of thinking

rick imby

Name
Rick
When I was a little kid we stayed in Canada for a couple of days. We bought donuts with American dollars and got back Canadian coins. I think the exchange rate was like 1.2 to 1. Anyway we could get 2 doughnuts and 95 cents back in change. We got fresh doughnuts almost for free. They took Canadian coins at par at home.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I am glad you mentioned it Rick. To continue with the spirit of this fabulous thread-
What flavors did you get?

And what do our Canadian friends think of these flavors?

....and if the choice is between nuke it or Bronx it, I'd say definitely nuke it.

rick imby

Name
Rick
I am glad you mentioned it Rick. To continue with the spirit of this fabulous thread-
What flavors did you get?

And what do our Canadian friends think of these flavors?

....and if the choice is between nuke it or Bronx it, I'd say definitely nuke it.

In those days I was a Maple bar guy...

There was a Dunkum Donuts in the Philippines. I had a couple of the best doughnuts ever. This is probably the most educational Porty thread on this board. They had a light lemon frosting that was excellent.

Reactions: Jimmy L and ruff

Willy P

Name
Willy P
The pics I posted yesterday didn't show the heat I get because of lighting. This is a nice black recycled tire floor in a greasy mechanic shop. Needed the heat to bust up the grease.
20160325_100332.jpg
20160325_100332.jpg

Attachments

• 20160325_100342.jpg
    20160325_100342.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 262
Reactions: Desk Jockey

Willy P

Name
Willy P
But, in conclusion, to each his own. Next week I'm adding a Brush Pro to my arsenal to step it up a notch. More equipment.......:biggrin:

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom