Got a call for a headlice infested nursery room

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
So far I found out the following: Microban X580 with a pumpsprayer on the carpet. Let sit for 15 min, then clean and extract. I gal per 1500 sqft.
Then return after 10 days and apply microban a second time but don't clean and extract afterwards.I probably would not want to prevac on a job like that, right?
Is that the correct procedure? I tried calling Microban but there was no answer.
Can my truck get infested? How would I prevent that? Can I get it from a job like that? Is the microban harmful to kids or pets if left on the carpet?
It's one room about 400 sqft ,so one gal should do it. I was thinking 398.- for the two visits? Does that sound right?(I'm in Northern Idaho)

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
steve frasier said:
http://www.nitmix.com/headlice-myths-day5.htm

I would just do a normal cleaning, why create problems for yourself
If they call me to remedy the head lice problem in their nursery and I'm pretty sure a normal cleaning doesn't kill them, wouldn't I have a problem anyway?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Don't spray poisons in the nursery. There is no need. Steve is correct. I did a job last week for a lady who said her grandkid had head lice. I cleaned the carpets and furniture.

This is from the medicineNet.com site:

Should household sprays be used to kill adult lice?

No. Spraying the house is not recommended. Fumigants and room sprays can be toxic if inhaled.

Should I have a pest-control company spray my house?

No. Vacuuming floors and furniture is sufficient to treat the house

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Do nothing and bill them big bucks for the removal.

Head lice will die if they are away from the host for longer than a day.

Vac a little, move a few things around so it looks like you did somthing, watch tv for a couple of hours and collect your check.

Hint, The lice are on the kids NOT the carpet.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
in florida you need a pest control license to say you are spraying to kill anything except maybe dust mites.

gene

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
GeneMiller said:
in florida you need a pest control license to say you are spraying to kill anything except maybe dust mites.

gene

Here you need a pest control licence for killing dustmites and even mold.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Royal Man said:
GeneMiller said:

gene

Here you need a pest control licence for killing dustmites and even mold.
Here you need a pest control licence if you are just thinking about killing dustmites and even mold :p .

Mikey P

Administrator
tell them the truth and get a nice repeat customer.

Charge extra and once they learn the truth you and your reputation will take a ding.

ignore Dave.

John Watson

Roxsy, You don't need gernades and mines to git rid of these critters.

Double check about life span with no host, When our kids brought them home from school My Helen freaked out. Just general cleaning NO Microban or other harsh chems needed unless client is demanding it. Over kill can get you in trouble. You might want to wear a top knot while there..

XCC

Art Kelley said:
Don't spray poisons in the nursery. There is no need. Steve is correct. I did a job last week for a lady who said her grandkid had head lice. I cleaned the carpets and furniture.

This is from the medicineNet.com site:

Should household sprays be used to kill adult lice?

No. Spraying the house is not recommended. Fumigants and room sprays can be toxic if inhaled.

Should I have a pest-control company spray my house?
No. Vacuuming floors and furniture is sufficient to treat the house
Yea, keep the chems down in daycare/nursury situations. The last one I did had a child that had an allergic reaction to my Dry Slurry and had to email them a MSDS on the DS.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Lice spreads from person to person contact.

Not from person to carpet contact.

All you can really do is to remove the very few nits that may be on the carpet.

As said before the problem is on the host(The kids)

Don't have them exchange hats, rub heads together, Lay on a pillow right after an infected kid.(if they have nap time at school)

Live lice have to have a blood diet every 8 hours.

They don't jump, hop or fly. The have to crawl from one host to an other.

The cleaning will be more of a physiological effect that anything else.

That can still be beneficial.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Maybe suggest 2-cleaning in lieu of applying a pesticide. (you Cali people quack me up)

That second cleaning could be at a slight discount since you really are not cleaning for soil load but for piece of mind.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Thanks guys. I will not worry about the microban then. I had called our local supplier LPM in Spokane and the guy I talked to there gave me the information I had so far. But it really seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Microban X-580 will do what it says it does. But I prefer the no extra chemical method when possible.

Clean using HWE. Do prevacuum. Toss out the vacuum filter bag after doing so.

Return in 10 to 14 days to rinse with hot water. Unless they track in a lot of soil, you probably won't need prespray for the second time over.

This can assure the folks that the lice / nits are gone and give them peace of mind. It may be doing more than is absolutely necessary, but they may be what they need to feel comfortable with theior kids in the bedroom.

Dave gave some good advice on how lice are spread and how to prevent it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom