GREASEY STEAKHOUSE

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman
The carpet is a sculpture loop nylon that is full of grease. Last year I had a bad time with cleaning it. The part that bothered me the most was when you ran your hand over the carpet it felt sticky, almost to the point of stopping your hand. I could not break that bond, I didn't have s and g then. I even tried renovate and citrus together with no luck. I scrub with a 175 and rinse and post pad. I need some suggestions to help with this problem. Plus after I cleaned it twice the owner had two other cleaners try it with no luck.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Slop -n- Gobble and a good pre-scrub. Hot flush and a quick post pad with some Snake Oil.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Sometimes those battles are just not worth the fight.

Move on to better accounts and leave that one behind.

It will cause you to lose sleep, beat the dog, start taking drugs, shave your head, have multiple personalities,
and cause excessive farting.

Do you want that?

Then move on my son.......move on.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
nuke it and crank the heat full bore .
sounds like it's an impacted grease pit that doesn't get cleaned often enough.

if they cared enough to pay, and will get it cleaned when it "needs" it, and not every 2-3-5 months ..
It's very possible you'd have to strip the grease in layers to really restore it

even the best juices will lay on top heavy impacted grease (or slide off to the backing) and only emulsify so much/so deep with one application .
strip a layer at a time if they'll pay to restore it

if you want to piss around with a pixie dust application after you cleaned it,(Per Jerm's suggestion) g'head and dump sum gUnk on ....might not help, but sure can't hurt I don't reckon

I agree with my hero Jimmy, though..UNLESS they'll pay what it's worth ...which are few and far between in the restaurant biz

..L.T.A.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Good precondition sure helps but I think you'll need to get more aggressive on it than just a scrub wand.

You might try a rotary extraction tool on it, a wand can only do so much when it glides across the grease in a brief second. You could also shower feed your precondition through a Cimex and the would help agitate it more if you can't borrow a rotary extractor.

and Jimmy doesn't know sh*t, I was doing all those things before I was a carpet cleaner. shiteatinggrin

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
he has a rotary, gang

"I scrub with a 175 and rinse and post pad"

Lyman, what kind of pad did you use to pre scrub with??
if it wasn't "at least" as aggressive as a red one, try one.

post padding is a waste of time too if the scrub and flush/rinse extract was done right

..L.T.A.

Seeing as you know what you are doing and two other companies failed, I would think the carpet is just worn and possibly not even nylon.

Jamesh921

Name
James
If it's that bad, why not go to the auto parts store and buy some engine degreaser?

Even better, add in some citrus solvent to the degreaser.

And, if it's that bad, why not go directly to a BLACK pad or a stiff brush instead of messin' with somethin' less aggessive?

If it's that bad, nuke it with everything at your disposal - if it doesn't make the custy happy, then tell'em it's time for a change.

The other companies couldn't clean it with their soup, so I would suggest you go "all out". You may end up being the hero.

Good luck

Jamesh921 said:
If it's that bad, why not go to the auto parts store and buy some engine degreaser?

Even better, add in some citrus solvent to the degreaser.

And, if it's that bad, why not go directly to a BLACK pad or a stiff brush instead of messin' with somethin' less aggessive?

If it's that bad, nuke it with everything at your disposal - if it doesn't make the custy happy, then tell'em it's time for a change.

The other companies couldn't clean it with their soup, so I would suggest you go "all out". You may end up being the hero.

Good luck

I think you are missing the point. I clean a sushi place that had carpet that was never that greasy but just badly worn and I think it was olefin.

I tried everything. It always cleaned up good, but still looked dingy in the traffic areas. It was just worn. I convinced the owner to replace with better carpet. Now it cleans up so easy.

S

sam miller

If its greasy from steaks maybe an enzyme base cleaner like enz all with a citrus boost! but if you already have S&G give it a go see what happens and let us know!

I tell You restaurant carpets made me miss my oil fired unit damn that sucker was hot! Billowing steam. I havent done one in years as per Jimmy's instructions!

PS didnt help with the farting. :mrgreen:

PPS You would think looking at it You could tell the difference between wear and soil!

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
You can not get more grease than this... a commercial kitchen hood cleaning co. made a mistake
and all the crap when down the a/c ducts two floors down to a store's carpet.
IMG_3901.jpg

First night encapped with VacAways Hot knife. It wicked back after drying.
IMG_3905.jpg

IMG_3906.jpg

Second night extract with hot water only and encapped again and dried.
It did not wicked back again.
IMG_3911.jpg

IMG_3915.jpg

Luis

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman
The carpet is three years old and I went to the carpet store and they looked it up as solution dyed nylon. I am cleaning it next tuesday.

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
I have tried a bunch of different solutions for restaurants. Some I tried, some I didn't. I've never had one as bad as you describe but here is what I would do. Mist on some Oil Flo then proceed with your aggressive approach. Oil Flo is sold by Titan Labs through a bunch of distributors. That stuff cuts stuff nothing else will.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Daniel made a good point. Do be aware of pooling, carpet distortion, wear. I cleaned a restaurant and the carpet still looked like it was black in areas, though I knew those areas cleaned just as well as the all the rest.

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
Lyman, Is that the steakhouse near you there? Who were the other 2 companies? We use an enzyme with a solvent booster pre-sprayed on then scrubbed in with the Cimex and we've had great results. Saw you draggin them hoses today buddy.

Jamesh921

Name
James
I think you are missing the point. I clean a sushi place that had carpet that was never that greasy but just badly worn and I think it was olefin.

Oh, I think I got the point:

The part that bothered me the most was when you ran your hand over the carpet it felt sticky, almost to the point of stopping your hand. I could not break that bond, I didn't have s and g then. I even tried renovate and citrus together with no luck. I scrub with a 175 and rinse and post pad. I need some suggestions

As explained here:

The carpet is three years old and I went to the carpet store and they looked it up as solution dyed nylon.

It's not olefin, it's nylon, which is only 3 years old. SDN doesn't ugly out that quick, PLUS, he said it felt sticky AFTER cleaning - leading me to believe it is a "bonding" problem between the carpet and the contaminate, not a fiber-deteriorating issue.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Tomorrow night, we're going to a Chinese restaurant that a customer of ours does a few times a year. He uses CleanStreak exclusively on it and has for as long as he's had that account.

I left him a message a couple of weeks ago, to let me know when he has "a good one" and he said that if this one calls, "it's as bad as it gets.".

He's been a CleanStreak customer since the 1990's, BTW and does a lot of restaurants. So if he says it's bad, it's baaaaad...

Video to follow Thursday.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
The 175 would take too long to prescrub something that greasy, I would go in with a Cimex w/ Fiber Max pads (grey), full tank, that should put the weight where you need it the most, right around 150lbs with the tank full, I'd carry a box of the fiber max pads w/ me, you can buy them in a box, and switch them out every few hundred feet or depending on how bad they get. The only thing I'd use the 175 for would be to post pad w/ a grey scrub microfiber pad after you've hwe'd it. We've done this @ 240 ATW, the combo rocks.

2 main problems w/ a place like that are:

1. If they're not cleaning it monthly, I'd pass.
2. As soon as you've tried your best and got it looking great, the GM calls you the next day n say's it looks alright (cuz it wicked in some places), and or the next time the cleaning is due, they'll call you a week before and say it's not time yet, let's do it in 2 weeks. Not saying they're all like that, but it's something to watch out for.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Luis Gomez said:
You can not get more grease than this... a commercial kitchen hood cleaning co. made a mistake
and all the crap when down the a/c ducts two floors down to a store's carpet.
IMG_3901.jpg

First night encapped with VacAways Hot knife. It wicked back after drying.
IMG_3905.jpg

IMG_3906.jpg

Second night extract with hot water only and encapped again and dried.
It did not wicked back again.
IMG_3911.jpg

IMG_3915.jpg

Luis

Nice....

Just to understand completely, you absorbed the excess with oil with pads, then encap juiced' it with the 175/scrub pad??

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
Goomer said:
Nice....

Just to understand completely, you absorbed the excess with oil with pads, then encap juiced' it with the 175/scrub pad??

No, the water guys where there before me. The carpet was bone dry, I used the 175 with Hot Knife
and a brush first, then used the bonnet since there was so much grease to post pad. The next night
I steam it first then encapped againg and post pad with the bonnets and dried. I had to use the brush
because the carpets is a cut and loop glued down and the pads (bonnets and fiberplus) would not
get down to the low areas.
Two floors below, the carpets was regular cut pile with pad and I used the water claw to clean the
pad and then encapped and force dry. the areas (about 12 sq ft) also did not wicked back.
Luis

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Try Chemiesters "Grease Eraser". Get an 8 lb jar. They are in Michigan. You are in ?New York? Order tomorrow, it will be there by Tuesday. If you have the heat, the grease will peel right up with grease Eraser. Mix hot, spray, let dwell 10 minute. It will clean the grease. Maybe throw in some S&G for good measure. I have been mixing the 2 together with great results. I rinse with Procyon.

I also use the glided RX20 if agitation is needed.

1-800-523-3430

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
when they get nasty like that I add some purple power to my pre spray than spray it on to the point of becoming a puddle of pre spray. I use an ice scraper to move it around an it comes right out. I had a mexican restraunt with a quarter inch of caked grease in a walk way outside the kitchen dooors I used this metchod on

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
My father (retired in Florida) knows someone, who's son (who lives near Long Island NY was a carpet cleaner turned wdr who used Easy-Off oven cleaner on greasy restaurants and it worked wonders :shock:

Maybe that's some sort of carpet cleaner "inside joke" I'm not familiar with...

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Don't do a whole lot of restaurants anymore because they usually are cheap, filthy, and don't clean them often enough. However when we do get ones like this we use enzall boosted with citru solv, good dwell time and our smoking hot truck punts and we always have great results minus wear of course. What temps are your truck mounts running?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom