Hate Cleaning Berber

PCCN

Am I just a wuss or does anyone else hate Berber? I find a ton of it in rental properties and of course it almost always is matted down, torns, burned, etc. Landlords don't even consider paying for repairs but for some reason continually install this "stuff".

I use the RX20 and acid rinse to do the best job possible but one some jobs you can almost watch the filth reappear and it stays matted.

Hey, I'l clean whatever the customer has, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. :mrgreen:

It's just a theory but the carpet store sales reps MUST be getting a bigger commission to push this mess on to customers.

Just wondering if anyone else feels the same?

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I love berber in rentals.. It cleans up much better than anything else does.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Mikey P

Administrator
A good Werner style vacuuming followed by lots of slow dry strokes will eliminate most if not all of your problems cleaning Berber, Olefin or Nylon.

and ditch your whip hoses and sissy ass 1.5 wands.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Berber is the OP guy's favorit carpet to clean... Get yourself a jiggler!

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I truely don't get what the fuss is all about. Whether you vacuum or not, berber cleans up great without subsequent problems. The key is good vac in the TM and quick drying. I've presprayed right over visable debris and used unglided 1 1/2" 12" wand when there was time constraints and it still cleaned and dried perfect.
I just don't get it.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Mikey "if the slander suit fits serve it up hot"! P said:
or you can be disgusting hacks like Jeremy and Cole's pussies and shampoo them all

:shock: :roll: :lol:

Deluxe

Here's my secret for berber:

-Go with a nice strong pre-spray in smaller sections and don't over-apply it.
-if it's olefin, citrus boost it
-15 minute dwell time before you start each section. No exceptions
-Use an unglided wand with the PSI from the TM set low. Like 175 to 250 low (here's where an RX-20 does'nt have the advantage)
-xtra dry strokes
-post bonnet or force dry it with an airpath ASAP

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I used the hoss 700 on some dirty crushed berber yesterday and it perked it right up and it looked great....

I love cleaning berber........

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Sure it's easy to clean if it's not trashed and worn down to nothing. It is somewhat stain resistant but to often in rentals it gets trashed in the traffic lanes and melts easily.(irons or cigs or furniture sliding)

Becker

Name
Becker
I really like cleaning it.

Even more so watching the eyes pop out of the clients head when they see my clean dirty line.

Cheap Berber it is hard to hide traffic wear.. Ok most Berber..

I hate cheap p.e.t crap... Clients hate it too.
I wish sales men would stop pushing it, chances are they have nylon in their homes.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I've presprayed right over visable debris and used unglided 1 1/2" 12" wand when there was time constraints and it still cleaned and dried perfect.
I just don't get it.

me too..a million times
berber is easy to clean

cleaning berber takes skill...or rather proper tool technique
that's why so many CC'ers hate it.

..L.T.A.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Must be a northern hemisphere thing.

I never have any trouble cleaning up down under.

Funny, but I've also heard the same things about Microfiber on upholstery, which is easy to clean and gives great results.

As with all cleaning, learn to do it right & then you only have to do it once.

!gotcha!

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
as usually Larry hit the nail on the head. technique is critical, it will show all the flaws in your stroke.
i disagree with lower psi, it needs plenty of h20 to flush out the dirt with proper technique. you can't have wick backs if the dirt is gone.

gene

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I think guys who have a problem with berber should take the word "Professional" out
of their business name.

davep105

Name
Dave Pires
I hear ya...
I love the stuff on most days. I apply prespray with a pump up mixed strong, flush the crap out, dry stroke it, and if Its real bad bring in the rotary to scrub and post bonnet. I did one the other day and used a red pad to scrubb with came out great...

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Sure it's easy to clean if it's not trashed and worn down to nothing. It is somewhat stain resistant but to often in rentals it gets trashed in the traffic lanes and melts easily.(irons or cigs or furniture sliding)

I agree, sometimes it just looks like shit no matter what you do. Maybe the original poster is getting some really jacked up carpet. I too find it easy to clean with an rx but there has been a few that no one can make look great.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I love to clean berber, I only had one in 6 years that beat me...

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
if its trashed you can have a lot of soil in it
Getting the moisture/water off it asap makes the difference, OR removing the soil so there isn't anything to cause a problem later.
Too many guys clean it too quickly and/or overwet it. A berber will "look" cleaner just from prespraying, then you need to flush it.
I don't have issues with it since I give it a good dry vac first then a good flush after.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I have a hard time with Olefin

cleen2.jpg

Mikey's favourite Recoil (note Kleenrite heater in background)
cleen3.jpg

Jamesh921

Name
James
Ever had a trashed rental that the soil had been tracked completely thru the backing of the carpet?

Ever had one that the soil was even tracked thru the pad and onto the sub-floor?

I think that's what PCCN is speaking about.

If the soil has penetrated that deep, you can vac, vac, vac then pre-spray, and let it dwell and dwell, pull out you're big 'ol suck hose and stroke all night long and STILL get lousy results and wick-backs in the traffic areas.

In some cases, the carpet is salvagable """""IF""""" the technician is allowed to get PAID to replace the pad in the affected areas and then clean the carpet.

It's doable - if'n yer client will part with a portion of his well-protected CASH!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom