Heard another carpet cleaner in the neighborhood this am..

Becker

Name
Becker
Wrapping up on 1st job of the day, and I hear what sounds like a TM in the distance..

I finish up and head out of the neighborhood in the direction of the noise.

Go a block down turn left, see a van parked on street a block up..
Hmm a carpet cleaning van but no hoses pulled out.. as I pass I look up the side street and a block away I see an unmarked van with a powermatic.

3 blocks away I hear this thing.

WOW, I'm glad my demo did not go so swell at my house back in the true blue days.

REALLY?

Maybe my ears are just trained on the sweet sound of a TM running.

Wandslinger

Name
Tom Meyer
Re: Heard another carpet cleaner in the neighborhood this am

That's how I get my walk ups! I call that a "True Blue Day".

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman

The loud machine gets attention. Too loud might be obnoxious. But the neighbors ask the customer how the work looks, and I get the walk up/ referral from it.

Bob Foster

Its always a little unnerving seeing a competitor in your hood. It makes you wonder what they did to get the call and what you might not have done.

A good reality check that all of us (except Amy George 8)) occasionally receive.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan

It is intersting that calls for cleaning in January (knock on wood) have been higher than in the recent past. Maybe Boeing's big sales numbers have moved the consumer confidence level around here.

I once had a carpet cleaner call me to complain about seeing one of our trucks in "his" neighborhood. Since he moved there he had gone to all of the community meetings and felt he owned the territory.

I told him I'd give him the six square blocks around his house if he promised never to clean outside those six blocks...

Becker

Name
Becker

Bob Foster said:
Its always a little unnerving seeing a competitor in your hood. It makes you wonder what they did to get the call and what you might not have done.

A good reality check that all of us (except Amy George 8)) occasionally receive.

Was not my hood, but I agree.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner

depending on who's truck I see, I may or may not be concerned.
Sometimes if I know the guy I like to say hello if I see him outside.

L

LGSTEAM

I have a competitor that moved in a couple of houses down about a year ago. He actually got the business from a relative he uses a small walk behind carpet cleaner like the ones u can rent!!!. NOT a friendly person at all. He also must only do it part time see him load up about once a month.
When I clean rugs or cars I point my load ass Judson at his house haha!!

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow

LGSTEAM said:
I have a competitor that moved in a couple of houses down about a year ago. He actually got the business from a relative he uses a small walk behind carpet cleaner like the ones u can rent!!!. NOT a friendly person at all. He also must only do it part time see him load up about once a month.

Wonder what he says abou you?

Too funny Bryan.

L

LGSTEAM

Ken Snow said:
LGSTEAM said:

Wonder what he says abou you?

Too funny Bryan.

Good question Ken. Have got 4 jobs in the last year because they thought his price was to cheap. I wish him the best of luck. A little competition never hurts. Just a bit close to home.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow

I hear that Oliver and I agree with you on competition.

What we never know, and I am often guilty of assumptions myself, is what is happening on the other side but coming to a conclusion based on only our information or interpretation of it.

For example~ you have gotten 4 jobs because they told you they felt his price is too high. It is also possible he has gotten none, 5-10-20 or more because people thought your price was too high or for some other reasons that people chose him over you. We'll never know that for sure, or even if you may have gotten more from him but the customers didn't tell you.

I sometimes drive myself nuts contemplating that stuff so when that happens to me I try to tell myself to focus on what I an control and know (if it is possible) and act accordingly.

Ken

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley

I don't give a rats ass about what anyone else is doing unless they are like becker out to mess with someones business. I wouldn't be driving around neighborhoods searching for vans I have too much to do. I may blanket the neighborhood with a mailing next time.

There are plenty of houses that you can get business from you don't want or need them all, trust me.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis

We've lived in our new neighborhood about 3 years, 2 of our close neighbors use chem dry and 1 uses Stanley. It used to grip my butt however it doesn't anymore. A couple of years ago I pulled into a nice neighborhood to clean for a new client and her neighbor was a carpet cleaner (truck in the drive). When I finished the job I ask "may I ask why you chose us when your neighbor is a carpet cleaner"? She explained she didn't want her neighbor to know how she lives. Made alot of sense to me so now I don't pay it any mind.

L

LGSTEAM

Ken Snow said:

What we never know, and I am often guilty of assumptions myself, is what is happening on the other side but coming to a conclusion based on only our information or interpretation of it.

For example~ you have gotten 4 jobs because they told you they felt his price is too high. It is also possible he has gotten none, 5-10-20 or more because people thought your price was too high or for some other reasons that people chose him over you. We'll never know that for sure, or even if you may have gotten more from him but the customers didn't tell you.

I sometimes drive myself nuts contemplating that stuff so when that happens to me I try to tell myself to focus on what I an control and know (if it is possible) and act accordingly.

Ken

Good post Ken. Definitively can drive you nuts doesn't really bother me anymore that there's a cleaner down the street.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow

Good for you man- it would bother me a little too though :-)

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter

Ken Snow said:

Ken

Ya Ken...i 'specialy liked to snatch one of YOR custys.....it would always make my day! :lol:

S

sam miller

Normally If someone use another company Its OK. I do 3 nieghbors of the guy who owns Stanley Steemer In my area because they're cheap! I raised my rates they dont call anymore. Thats fine too.

Some people would rather use someone else then risk a problem with a neighbor!

I do about 10 homes on my block, and a Lady just called who's buying the house next door $300.00 next week. She saw my reviews on google.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge

I always wave at my competitors. The multi truck companys are usually new young employees rushing out to get to their next job.

They're wondering "who was that RW guy, and what's he know? I don't know him". It's good to know your competition.

Mike Draper

I have a neighbor 5 houses down who is very well off. Every six months he uses the cheapest guy in town. this guy named ACE pulls up in his truck, hooks up his hose to the kitchen sink, douses the carpet with some engine d-greaser ( his employee told me this) and then soaks the shit out of them and extracts a little out, he has 48 hour dry times....in the summer This well off neighbor knows I clean carpet, I see him at church every Sunday and I clean for all the neighbors on both sides of him and another dozen or so in close proximity off him. I dont bother him or ask why he doesn't do business with me, I haven't dropped off cards or anything. Everyone has their reason for who they do business with others. I dont let it bother me, I just try to build my business the best I can. What does bother me is that hacks like this guy ACE are who keep Chemdry in business.

PCCN

I always love parking near a Stanley Steemer van. While they use the customers water and charge them for everything but air, it makes a good referral in the future. Send that customer a flier and coupon for one free room cleaning and when they check us out with our fully self contained truck (like most cleaners use), and our proces, we have a customer for life.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner

funny how most cleaners won't wave when I pass on the road, they don't even see me.
at least I waved, even if they are splash and dashers

Back
Top Bottom