helpers

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
I am ready to hire one..I cant keep up with the phone and follow ups by myself..I am gonna have a guy do cleaning and I will be with him but answering calls and doing other shit..should I pay him hourly? I was thinking 12 bucks. Opinion?

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales
I think that's a reasonable hourly rate although I would start a little lower $10 maybe see how he picks it up then maybe 30, 60 & 90 day increases.

I knows guy who worked with a helper he told me he did 5-700 a day and paid his helper 25% I told him his helper was making more money than him, he just shot me a toothless grin literally. He is no longer in business.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I pay my helper 15& with a guaranteed $50 per day in case it is a slow day. If he was on his own I'd pay 10% more and an extra bonus for up sales.

The helper actually pays for itself in being able to do more jobs per day and you can add on more rooms and furniture at each house.

I would never pay per hour.

I'd rather pay for performance.

The more he makes the more I make.

Win , Win!!

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
RGH269 said:
I knows guy who worked with a helper he told me he did 5-700 a day and paid his helper 25% I told him his helper was making more money than him,

Avg $600 x 6 = $3600 per week - 25% ($900) = $2700 (week) x 52 = $140,000.00

Now please explain your logic on how the helper is making more money or why this is the reason he is out of business.

My guess would be he 1. Lied about the average or 2. Is just another person that needs a "JOB"

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales
You ever heard of something called taxes and operating expenses? I can promise you that guy wasn't doing 140grand a year besides no one works six days a week 52 weeks a year. You would have to know this guy to understand, besides if he was making that much don't you think he'd still be in business?

Bucey

Name
FFA?
I am currently going through this now. I'm four month into the process. My suggestion would be if they have experience then work with them one week and make the starting hr wage reflex hides rxperence. If none start at $9 an hour, evaluate after 90 days and determine if an increase is warranted. You should expect this to be extremely harder than you invision. Good luck!

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
thanks...I have a kid 23 yrs old who i bring with on commercial jobs..but he has never touched a sofa. I will try him out and see how it goes..

Name
Lee Stockwell
My main technician has been with us 2 years. I pay him by the hour with a minimum guaranteed.

I've done the % thing, and hated having employees in your books. Jon works great, is personable and particular. He came with me to MF in Nashville and enjoyed it. He found out while we were there that he and his wife were expecting their first baby...with all the mixed feelings that entailed. I won $200 from Judson in a contest and split that with him for his first "baby gift". Thank you again Les!

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
RGH269 said:
You ever heard of something called taxes and operating expenses? I can promise you that guy wasn't doing 140grand a year besides no one works six days a week 52 weeks a year. You would have to know this guy to understand, besides if he was making that much don't you think he'd still be in business?

What do you mean "no one works six days a week 52 weeks a year"?

mcatt

Name
Mike
I am in the same spot and already have a helper/ tech in training. He lacks real people skills and is almost anti social really. But is a good cleaner. It's tough to find the perfect one.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Train him well, work side by side with him until you're comfortable in his skills. Anyone should be able to do it, but you want the one's with the desire to do it right and pay attention to detail.

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
If this is your first step into full time helper status then we will all pray for you. No, having had a part time helper on occasional jobs does not count. Full time people are just different even when it's the same part time guy that goes full time with you. I would pay him hourly.

Mike Draper

I just started a new helper May 1st. He pulls hoses, fetches spot removers, fans, cleans up while I'm talking to custy. I do the cleaning. $11 and hour, gonna raise him to 12 in another week.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I am in the same spot and already have a helper/ tech in training. He lacks real people skills and is almost anti social really. But is a good cleaner. It's tough to find the perfect one.

He wouldn't be working for us. People skills is #1 requirement for our staff. We can teach everything else, but it's tough to teach someone to be nice.

Many years ago I had great cleaners that had no social skills and I had cleaners that were terrible cleaners but were very personable.. Guess which ones got ALL the compliments!!

There are good people out there, that are good cleaners and personable, just keep looking. The short term pain of training a new guy will pay off in the long run.

amygeorge

Supportive Member
Name
Amy Lorance
I hired a full-time tech \ production manager. He's a cotton farmer off the south plains that ended up moving here because of his wife. He is handy - mechanic, construction, etc.! It's necessary because my husband has nothing to do with this business - period. My manager can do all the things I can't. He's not perfect, neither am I, we're learning this business together. I pay him a salary and he has vacation and sick leave. I do believe you get what you pay for. It has worked out great for me. I'm only on the van 20% or less. Plus, I plan to sell him this business within 5-7 years. He's off getting schooled this week (commercial and value added tech) - it makes him feel good to have his certifications and to meet other folks in the business.

I also have two part-timers. One is my laundromat manager (a girl! and she loves going on the van!) and the local pool cleaner and area sports referee . One helps on Monday and Fridays and the other Tuesday -Thursday. They are flexible and help when needed. I pay them $10\hr. I've also thought about the local fireman for helping on their days off. Not much else for them to do on a part-time basis in this area.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Brian H said:

He wouldn't be working for us. People skills is #1 requirement for our staff. We can teach everything else, but it's tough to teach someone to be nice.

Many years ago I had great cleaners that had no social skills and I had cleaners that were terrible cleaners but were very personable.. Guess which ones got ALL the compliments!!

There are good people out there, that are good cleaners and personable, just keep looking. The short term pain of training a new guy will pay off in the long run.
Thanks Brian.
These are good words to keep in mind while in the long process of finding the right person.
As one gets a little desperate at times (at least I do.)
I totally agree with the people skill being so important.

and, as usual, what Richard says is spot on:
rattle can red said:
Train him well, work side by side with him until you're comfortable in his skills. Anyone should be able to do it, but you want the one's with the desire to do it right and pay attention to detail.

Name
I'm Rick James
I wouldn't do hourly, I like the ideology of pay for performance. I pay my nephew when he is with me 15% and 25% when he is on his own. He just got his first review the other day...

The toughest thing is letting someone else represent your business.

Go Green was quick, on time and amazingly good. I cannot believe how clean our carpets look and smell! He got stains out that we have tried EVERYTHING on. Our carpet looks brand new.

I would definitely use Go Green again a) they have a 30 day guarantee, b) they are extremely affordable and c) they are environmentally safe. Great service all around!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I like to keep good workers, if they have the right work ethic we can find spots for them that will little contact with the clients.

It does limit them back from moving up to a crew leader but they can still work well on commercial cleaning or as an assistant tech on site or working here in the shop.

As a crew leader I agree you must have people skills.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
For us, assistants rarely if ever will be on their own no matter what they are doing. But yes they occasionally will need to talk to the client, they are trained to be professional but past them on to their crew leader or supervisor in the case of fire or mold crews.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I would think a truck mount would pay for itself pretty fast at this point. The reality is you will probably have to churn a few helpers before you find the right person. A truckmount will alow you to do twice as much work yourself if needed.

I would take a truckmount solo over a porty with a helper anyday.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
"I would take a truckmount solo over a porty with a helper anyday."

I agree! Having a tm is awesome!

Seems to me to have a full time helper you better have at least 3-4 jobs EVERYDAY, even in Jan/Feb.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
jcooper said:
"I would take a truckmount solo over a porty with a helper anyday."

I agree! Having a tm is awesome!

Seems to me to have a full time helper you better have at least 3-4 jobs EVERYDAY, even in Jan/Feb.

Why helpers are free!!

If you don't have much work just give them a minimum. ( I give mine $50 minimum per day)

The extra production and sales more than make up for their pay.

Plus, you get the added benefits of faster times, less effort, more time for sales, more jobs per day and getting done earlier throw in for free.

I felt the same as you for 20 years. Boy was I wrong!!!

S

sam miller

I have to helpers mY son 17 1/2 and Phil 21 both live at home both play videogames phil is hearing imparred but can communicate well my son is out going.

They Vacuum while I setup help with everything else and do a lot of the cleaning. and have been out a total of 4 days alone onlly one day with out a problem not major.

One rework form a lady who always wants a rework no Vacuum pets and 55 year lold son whose a troll.

PS I cant work alone now I pay Min. plus bonuses. and tips. neither have girls friends one has a car.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
First thing to consider when hiring a helper is to evaluate whether he can turn into a main cleaning tech. No point in hiring someone without potential.

Stanley steemer has a lead and helper on their trucks. The lead gets paid more and the helper is being groomed to be a lead. I hired a helper recently and paid him minimum wage. I was very upfront with him. I explained that this was an intern program and for the first 6 months he will be helping. After that if he meets our expectations he will be a lead cleaning tech.

I also pay my lead cleaning techs a percentage. I want them to be fairly compensated for the work they do with motivation to work hard.

The worst thing for an employee is to be paid the same as the other guy but work much harder. Think of this scenerio. Two cleaning techs,

one works hard and does 3 jobs that are 700 sq feet each and makes 12 dollars and hour for a daily wage of $96

Second cleaning tech cleans 4 jobs that are 700 sq feet each at 12 dollars an hour for a total daily wage of $96.

One guy is working harder and more efficient and is getting paid as much as the other guy. Let me tell you what will happen. The second guy will realize this, slow down and magically only be able to clean 3 jobs like that a day.

Another problem with hourly. If you have 6 hours of work it will always take 8 because the tech will need the hours.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
idreadnought said:
First thing to consider when hiring a helper is to evaluate whether he can turn into a main cleaning tech. No point in hiring someone without potential.

Stanley steemer has a lead and helper on their trucks. The lead gets paid more and the helper is being groomed to be a lead. I hired a helper recently and paid him minimum wage. I was very upfront with him. I explained that this was an intern program and for the first 6 months he will be helping. After that if he meets our expectations he will be a lead cleaning tech.

I also pay my lead cleaning techs a percentage. I want them to be fairly compensated for the work they do with motivation to work hard.

The worst thing for an employee is to be paid the same as the other guy but work much harder. Think of this scenerio. Two cleaning techs,

one works hard and does 3 jobs that are 700 sq feet each and makes 12 dollars and hour for a daily wage of $96

Second cleaning tech cleans 4 jobs that are 700 sq feet each at 12 dollars an hour for a total daily wage of $96.

One guy is working harder and more efficient and is getting paid as much as the other guy. Let me tell you what will happen. The second guy will realize this, slow down and magically only be able to clean 3 jobs like that a day.

Another problem with hourly. If you have 6 hours of work it will always take 8 because the tech will need the hours.

Paying hourly or by percentage is a personal decision. And both methods have potential advantages and disadvantages.
There are very good companies here that pay by Percentages like Hagopian and there are just as good companies like DaBurns that pay hourly.

Your logic though, Richard, can be used just the opposite way. Also, you can increase the hourly wage to the good tech, that way he will be well compensated for his good work ethic. Yet you would not create an incentive for fast work to increase income, thus compromising quality.

Paying someone by the hour does not necessarily mean that they will become lazy. Could it happen? Yes.

Paying a percentage does not necessarily mean that they will do a fast lousy job. Could it happen? Yes.

Both methods done conscientiously by a smart attentive owner, can work just fine.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Paying a percentage does not necessarily mean that they will do a fast lousy job. Could it happen? Yes.
I've seen that, greed is an evil thing and at some point tech's become driven by the money and lose perspective on how that money is earned. They forget that we are only as good as the job they produce, they lose focus on the quality of work and instead focus on calculating their commissions.

I prefer hourly with bonuses, it may not drive them as much but there is a little less greed. Well less obvious greed, they have to earn the bonus at least.

Greedy bastards! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom