Name
Andy
Greetings to all, after I finish the first stripping process on a VCT floor,

How would I know if a need to re strip?

Thanks for your time and advice.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
VCT floors will require regular ongoing cleaning and scrubbing. And you will likely include some buffing/burnishing in your maintenance program in order to extend the shine and repair light scratches. Periodically the finish will show more extensive wear in the traffic areas, and you'll need to scrub it and apply a couple of fresh coats of finish. As the process continues over the course of time the finish will naturally discolor. Discoloration is a result of soil that penetrates the surface of the finish, and also from the build-up of successive layers of floor finish. Once the discoloration reaches a level that's no longer acceptable you'll need to re-strip the floor. And after the floor's been stripped then the maintenance cycle will begin anew.

Andy12

Name
Andy
Thank you for your quick replay.

I am sorry I was not clear on my post.

What I meant was, when stripping and refinish the VCT floor,
at the time of stripping the floor the first time and picking up the stripper solution and old finish of the VCT floor.

I have read some post saying that they had not gotten all the finish off the VCT the first time and needed to re strip once more.

How can you tell ?

Thanks

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
That depends on whether or not there's any old finish still remaining on the floor. Normally if you do a thorough strip job you most likely can get it all up in the initial stripping process. But if you still see sections of finish (perhaps in the low spots), then you'll need to go over those areas a second time. Keep in mind, if there are spots of old finish remaining but they're barely noticeable - you can recoat back over the floor and it'll be fine. It's only the more obvious globs of finish that you need to worry about.

BTW - if you have a Cimex machine it works awesomely to strip a floor with the Lightning Strip pads. And if you have a standard rotary machine - getting a good strip brush like the Malish MalGrit brush will tear into a strip job and eliminate build-up really well. We carry both if you're interested; as well as Pioneer Eclipse floor care products.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
if you strip it once and it dries and their are blotches or shiny marks still or patches of yellow, that is probley old floor finish. I have had many floors that needed to be stripped twice

Andy12

Name
Andy
Greetings thanks for the help. As you can tell I’m new at the stripping and waxing process,
The color of the floorVCT is black , that does not make any difference from any other color?

Thanks

janitrex

Andy, You need to hook up with someone who can show you the ropes on the proper process etc. Have you tried to find a local supply house you could trust who might be able to show you the process and give you advice on products etc? Charlotte is a pretty big city and there has to be a few decent supply houses there. I know Kelsan is there and they might be a good source of information for ya. Good Luck!

Andy12

Name
Andy
Greetings Thanks for the advice.
I will have to look them up.
I have been searching for a local janitorial supplies in Charlotte and I only found 1 that has an actual store.
All the rest are thru the internet.
There is an Xpedx and they told me I have to open an account with them and a minimum order of 350.

I have seen the VCT stripping and finish before, but since I will be doing it by myself for the first time Iam thinking about the little details.

I have bought all the machine to do the job, Viper burnisher, Viper floor machine and the Viper Shovelnose Wet Dry Vacuum Cleaner 18 gallon tank.
I got my finish mop heads.
Doodlebugs
1 case stripping pads 3m
2 mop buckets
Safety equipment
Squeegees
Rags
Floor scraper
floor fan

Thanks all I need is the stripper and the floor finish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom