How do U keep a rig from freezing w/out electricity?

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
It's my daily driver and stored in a field at my inlaws when not in use.

I prefere not to rely on electricity because the nearest outlet is at least 150' away and the breaker box already looks like a birds nest. Also, there are too many cowboys, rednecks and hillbillys running loose out there for the cord to stay plugged-in. Furthermore, i don't want to be blamed for an $800 electric bill either. So, electricity is out~

Can anybody suggest a tested and true way for me to keep my rig from freezing without electricity? I prefere not to use antifreeze liquids either as this is my daily driver.

Thank you,

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
last winter was unusually cold.

we hit 10 below a few times.

I need to keep my V from freezing at night and still be able to drive it daily.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
You can always build a garage or trade for a rig that fits in a garage and solve several of your problems.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
well,

I was hoping a propane or Kero heater would solve the problem.

Maybe a generator with a couple heaters plugged into it.

are those are a no go?

F

FB7777

don't you know at least a half dozen guys in your area that wouldn't mind providing PAID storage of your main money maker during the cold season?

If not, contact a local storage facility

I wouldn't rely on electricity either.

With a BIG TRUCK comes bigger responsibility , if you're going to run one of those monsters, you gotta be prepared to deal with the additional expense and inconvenience of where you're gonna leave it when its not getting 20 walkup jobs a day

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman
I do not know who makes it but butler has a small heater for inside the van that runs on gas or diesel off of a thermostat. And is 12 volt fired.

F

FB7777

I haven't priced out a heated storage unit, but it couldn't be much more than $500-600 month

You telling me you don't know anyone that has any space that they would like to make some easy money storing your vehicle?

DO you do work with any property owners that have vacant warehouse space?

Like Dave said, one costly freeze repair can run into the thousands.

Also, I've never believed in keeping your money maker " just above freezing" at night.

FredC

Village Idiot
Webasto airtop....or similar diesel rv heater?..pricey though

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
Last winter i was able to run 3 electric heaters plugged into 3 seperate circuits off my house.

I'm not gonna have that luxury this winter.

anybody have experience with kero heaters like these?
rB2IdvtQzMYtwprmVdgwhMPiKFfBlX2b_zEgge4dgxksYiuMZcmco8_8aY_nxt2ys0lPktIZPzDv5b1oKy0RcQKNrOb8BPeo-Uznr1_HNy7oQafcjaPStYbHPelG66QSxV5N0chZo484lx5QNBIMHzwSom0_y8UhUSCxo0fWSkbhE04tjCFAkZKaLhJRjma_ovAPmdAPN4p7OmLcYKZaK_hr-veXS-0Qeo3B6ulAXy9Kihmv9wQpvMVBoqWYQYbnACnqfBhdg7c9CrQUBGLhV5uFz6CmjkeEAGttX6ySAEfU2X4

F

FB7777

I used to have a Kero heater in my garage before I had a Modine Gas unit installed

The Kero unit still needs electricity to operate

Contact your auto insurance company and see how they feel about you running an unattended Kero unit overnight :shock:

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
George III said:
Last winter i was able to run 3 electric heaters plugged into 3 seperate circuits off my house.

I'm not gonna have that luxury this winter.

anybody have experience with kero heaters like these?
rB2IdvtQzMYtwprmVdgwhMPiKFfBlX2b_zEgge4dgxksYiuMZcmco8_8aY_nxt2ys0lPktIZPzDv5b1oKy0RcQKNrOb8BPeo-Uznr1_HNy7oQafcjaPStYbHPelG66QSxV5N0chZo484lx5QNBIMHzwSom0_y8UhUSCxo0fWSkbhE04tjCFAkZKaLhJRjma_ovAPmdAPN4p7OmLcYKZaK_hr-veXS-0Qeo3B6ulAXy9Kihmv9wQpvMVBoqWYQYbnACnqfBhdg7c9CrQUBGLhV5uFz6CmjkeEAGttX6ySAEfU2X4

There is a kero heater like that which is battery powered. That would keep it from freezing. I'd look for a local auto repair shop and negotiate to park in one of their bays at night.

Or come to Youngstown....I can rent you a heated bay for about $200 a month with in and out privledges. I could probably store 8 trucks in my screenprint warehouse.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
pfred said:
The Kero unit still needs electricity to operate

Contact your auto insurance company and see how they feel about you running an unattended Kero unit overnight :shock:

your right... I forgot that kero needs electricity to operate...

How about a portable generator on the ground and a couple radiant heaters inside the truck? Any problems with that arangement?

or, how about a couple propane heater like this?
images

thanks for the offer rwcarpet :lol: ...

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Re: Re: How do U keep a rig from freezing w/out electricity?

Lyman said:
I do not know who makes it but butler has a small heater for inside the van that runs on gas or diesel off of a thermostat. And is 12 volt fired.
Find out where to get this sounds interesting

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

John Watson

Make sure van is insulated, sides, top and the underside (van floor) you can install a propane fired catalitic heater which is on a thermo stat that will keep the interior at a balmy 55-60 degrees even when it is 20 below for a week staight. Been there and done that in Alaska. And yes it works on 12 volts. in our RV our furnace works the same way.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
buy some ice scrappers.....
cuz there WILL BE an inch of ice on the INSIDE of yor windows!

PLUS all that moisture and condensation inside the truck WILL play havoc with any power windows switches or any other electrical circuits inside the truck.........

maybe run a buried line off a neighbors outlet........ :lol:

my Genie lookin' better yet?

F

FB7777

JB BOOKS said:
buy some ice scrappers.....
cuz there WILL BE an inch of ice on the INSIDE of yor windows!

PLUS all that moisture and condensation inside the truck WILL play havoc with any power windows switches or any other electrical circuits inside the truck.........

maybe run a buried line off a neighbors outlet........ :lol:

my Genie lookin' better yet?
good points Bob

propane is a very wet burning fuel isn't it?

George, seriously consider getting the V inside during the winter

If you have to store it off your property anyways, you may as well have it inside

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Is there a old barn or warehouse that you can cut down the area and heat that. Some Commercial/warehouuse may be willing to barter also

Mike Draper

John Watson said:
Make sure van is insulated, sides, top and the underside (van floor) you can install a propane fired catalitic heater which is on a thermo stat that will keep the interior at a balmy 55-60 degrees even when it is 20 below for a week staight. Been there and done that in Alaska. And yes it works on 12 volts. in our RV our furnace works the same way.

until the inside runs out of oxygen.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
all the radiant fuel burners (kero or propane) will work .
Problem is, you need something to circulate the air.
Or the roof will be 90 degrees and the floor will be 10.
You will need a fan..a small one is all you need though

also as Jim mentioned, you can't have it air tight ...you MUST provide fresh air, or the flame will starve.

.L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom