how do you trust your staff

brendan

Name
brendan
Hi,i am only a owner operator,when i get big commercials i have some lads that give me a hand.
Just wondering how you guys with more than one van trust there techs.Considering they get the address ,mobile ,maybe email numbers of your customers.If they decide to go out on there own,they have a good customer data bank .Plus they know your prices,they can contact your customer,hi its Dave ,previously from blah blah.I am running my own biz 15% cheaper than my previous employer....If tech any good he has all ready build up relationship of sorts with your custy,How do you deal with this.Thanks.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Compensate them so well that they don't ever want to take the risk. Being an employee is a whole different animal than starting a business.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bucey

Name
FFA?
Hi,i am only a owner operator,when i get big commercials i have some lads that give me a hand.
Just wondering how you guys with more than one van trust there techs.Considering they get the address ,mobile ,maybe email numbers of your customers.If they decide to go out on there own,they have a good customer data bank .Plus they know your prices,they can contact your customer,hi its Dave ,previously from blah blah.I am running my own biz 15% cheaper than my previous employer....If tech any good he has all ready build up relationship of sorts with your custy,How do you deal with this.Thanks.

I think that is why they say business is risky. If you spend all your time worring about that you will go no where. If that is their intention your will know if you are engaged with the operations of your business. Outside that build your staff foundation on trust and accountability amd hopefully you will never hire an entrepreneur.

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey

I agree with Ken!! Also, whenever you hire an employee, have them sign a Non-Compete Statement, and place in their file. The goal with any new hire, is to ask yourself, "Can I trust this person in my own house?" If the answer is, "No", then don't hire! Also, investigate aggressively their references, and pay them well. No minimum wage!!

Perhaps find a good Personnel Manager and take them to lunch and pick their brain with your questions.

mcatt

Name
Mike
I am going t be hiring a new guy soon and I don't really worry about them taking customers as much as can I train them to do as good as a job as I do, will they be good with clients, breaking stuff, etc... Now I have to worry about this also! thanks

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
In my 30 plus years in our bus i can count 2 for sure that left to start their own bus and another couple who did when we chose to part ways. This is out of hundreds of employees, so call it about 1%. Not sure how successful any of them have been.

If you pay them well, make them feel a valuable part of your business/team you should have good success.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We've only had one in 46-years.

He's still around up to two trucks and yes he wrote down clients and called them trying to get them to switch. Very few did, he instead cleans in the apartment and realtor market, areas we don't clean in.

Most are not going to have the ambition and even fewer the financing to get up and going. I wouldn't sweat it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I believe most people have more class than to participate in back stabbing dealings such as a former employee trying to steal their former employers jobs.At the end of the day this will only make him look bad which ironically is good for you. And for the customers that do participate good riddens to bad rubish i say.

amygeorge

Supportive Member
Name
Amy Lorance
I had my head tech sign a non compete contract. however, i had to compensate him with $$$. Make sure you contact your lawyer before you do anything. they aren't as simple as you think. amygeorge

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I had my head tech sign a non compete contract. however, i had to compensate him with $$$. Make sure you contact your lawyer before you do anything. they aren't as simple as you think. amygeorge
A non compete for employee never stands up. They do carry SOME weight for upper managment but don't hold water for an employee. Just had to share that :)

P.S. you are coming to Vegas right? You need to come and gamble with me and Micheal. You will have a blast...

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink

X2 ... there are a lot of times that the terms/conditions are excessive as was the case of a non-compete held against me. Any certs I did hold at the end of my employment I went and re-certified on my own as well and put them in my name.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Poorly crafted or excessive one's don't John, but properly written do hold up in MI. I don't personally believe in them nor would ever have one.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Poorly crafted or excessive one's don't John, but properly written do hold up in MI. I don't personally believe in them nor would ever have one.

and what would they keep them from doing? You cannot keep someone from earning a living period. Non-Competes for employee's cannot keep them from earning a living in their chosen field. If they are management you can keep them from contacting your current under contract clients but a residential customer does not fall under that category. So again just what would one hope to actually accomplish with a non-compete? They are only good enough to scare the unwitting but laughable at best if actually taken to court.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
We can agree to disagree. They absolutely hold the same protection to and i never said anything about someone not beinv able to do the work nor was my understanding of the original posters concern.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
:) Michigan is a commie state so i can see that there, here we are a right to work state and judges do not look favorably on non competes

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Lol now that is funny. MI is so in favor of labor if is amazing, but there are still some protections for business if A) a properly written and employed agreement is used and b) proprietary information is taken.

FredC

Village Idiot
He is Ireland

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1991/en/act/pub/0024/sec0004.html#sec4

and pulled from a LinkedIn post:

As part of an agreement for an employee's “services,” the anti-competition clause of an employment agreement is “prohibited and void” under section 4 of the Competition Act, 1991, where such clause has as its “object or effect the prevention, restriction or distortion of competition” in any goods or services in Ireland. Further, under paragraph (e) of section 4, where an anti-competition clause purports to make the conclusion of another employment agreement with another party (e.g., a client of your former employer), such supplementary obligations under the clause is void “by their nature or according to commercial usage have no connection with the subject of such contracts.”

Yet, the Irish courts -- seeking to balance property rights under its constitution with the EC’s mandate for free movement of labor -- have taken the above quoted section 4 to mean that an anti-competition clause must be reasonable in terms of its duration and geographic or product scope.

In general, the Irish courts have found an anti-competition clauses reasonable if its duration is no longer than six months. Hence, a court would almost certainly not find a clause exceeding one year to be reasonable, but would rule it invalid under section 4 of the Competition Act, 1991.

Last edited:

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
I side with Ken, pay him/her right treat them right ,give them a kick in the arse now and again you,ll be find

P.s. Fred..Irish courts are no better then U.S. ones

FredC

Village Idiot
P.s. Fred..Irish courts are no better then U.S. ones

well yeah...they're a buncha drunks

my point was more...although the thread is "how do you do it"...arguing over something that varies by state probably isn't going to help someone in another country

seems non competes don't hold up very well in Ireland...and when they do it is for very short periods

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Competing and taking confidential client info or using it as tool to directly market to them are 2 different things.

amygeorge

Supportive Member
Name
Amy Lorance
@ John, see you at the tables!

when you make a tech sign a document drafted by an attorney it let's them know you are serious. does it mean they won't start a business? no, but it sure helps if you decide to sue them, etc. i don't mind them starting a business, they just can't in my backyard. in a previous business it came in handy and i was sure glad i had one.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Like John said it may be difficult to enforce someone being able to make a living in the field but not so hard to protect ur customer database info if stolen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom