How does a V or AT increase productivity??

G

Sorry Larry but I don't have time. I am just a chimp working in the truck every day.

Dave

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Everyone is dancing around the real answer.

Guys that have these trucks hit the road early and ready to go since they wake up sweating the payments. :p

If you want to be as successful without buying a "big" truck, you have to imagine that your kid surprised you by being admitted to an Ivy League school.

Greenie

"Indeed, I know we reel them up faster than electrics reel them up.
Electric reels are labor saving devices, not time saving. "

You are gonna owe me a beer for that one, ain't no way in hell you can make that claim uncle Larry. I'm actually kinda stunned you said that.

And just to make things crystal clear, I'm referring to a VACUUM hose reel.

And by the way...labor savings still equals a time savings at the end of the day.
I could probably reel sol. line just as fast by hand, but not vacuum.

B

Bill

Marty Question

What happened to you, lose your cookies or something? Why the new sign-in under different name? Just curious?

Bill in central Florida

Jerry, We do not have CDL licenses, but have heard you should have them because of the Jake brake (mini) that is on our UD diesel. The brake is nice to have. Top speed is about 70 miles per hour on the truck, I do not stop at any of the weigh stations. Ronnie P.

Al

Just putting our PM in a Box truck has made us more efficient, jobs do go a little faster, adding the Bayco and 2.5 in hose increased the efficiency and productivity of our system even more.

So I agree that the V will increase productivity and efficiency.

One thing I love about our system is full control of the heat and that is something the V doesn't have.

We have hose runs over 2 hundred feet, monday we laid out three hundred feet on a house job because they had an ice covered hill driveway, suck was real good the and carpets dried in minutes.

AL

hogjowl

Idiot™
Bill:

I put an Internet connection in my office. Before now, I was always posting on my home computer connection. I went with a different provider and decided to change my posting name at work. I was growing tired of the following that I had gained under Marty Sutley. People were calling me at home at all hours asking for help, autographs, and endorsements and such.

I was starting to feel like jimmy.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
"I'm actually kinda stunned you said that."

Why?
I reel'em in like I'm reeling in a 1 pound bass on 30pnd spiderwire in a tournament.

I wasn't on the van today.
I will be tomorrow though.
I'll time it if I think about it.

I'll be surprised if it takes me more 15 seconds to roll up 100ft

..L.T.A.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Powermatic will save time.

More heat than heat exchanger models and can MAINTAIN more heat at more flow at those temperatures, so will clean faster.

You don't need to wait for your heat as you add minutes/hours and running time (wear and fuel). You don't need to drive your vehicle around half the day to warm up your water so you can really get those high temperatures.

With each cleaning stroke more cleaning takes place, so less strokes needed, or you can stroke faster.

High temperature, high agitation, less moisture release Steam Way wand.

2.5 inch vacuum system with 2.5 inch hose at 100 feet sucks plenty.

Automatic solution fill with hot water at the turn of a lever saves time mixing rinse agents.

Quick three way valve for medium pressure carpet cleaning, medium pressure upholstery cleaning, high pressure washing saves time.

Generator can be used for powerwands, steamers, dryers, lights, etc if no power available in house, a big time saver not having to seek power from a nearby source, if their is one.

Put that big beautiful machine into an impressive box van and you can compete with anybody as a one man owner/operator, on looks and on performance.

My son in law competes with several Vortex units and is even busy this winter, and his rates are higher than the Vortex guys. He us coming up on 3 years in business.

As Mikey has said in the past, if you are going to stay in residential as a one man operation, the Vortex may not be right for you.

As long as 8 or 9 out of 10 truck mount cleaners insist on heat exchange technology, I will have no problem competing with my kerosene fired burner. Its always given me an edge.

Lazy Loren

DavidVB

I had 4 Powermatics. I now run a Genesis 56. The vacuum is far superior, the heat and flow is all I ever used on my Powermatics and is more stable. I greatly prefer using 5 gallons cubes for solution as it was a pain to change chemical on the Powermatic. I have an auxiliary hose for getting hot water.

The Steamway wand does not spray evenly and the heat directly under the flood jet will cause pile distortion. I do have to let the machine run while pulling hoses on the first job. I like not having to fool with buying kerosene.

Time will tell if the Genesis is more reliable. My last 3 Powermatics were poorly built.

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
Loren,

If what I read on Steamway.com is correct, you can achieve 250 degrees at 2.1 GPM, and have a blower rated at 325 cfm ( 293 at 10"hg).

Read the specs for your machine, then read the specs for Butler high heat, Genesis, Vortex, Aero Tech, Steam Action, and many others...
They match or EXCEED yours. My water is hot by the time I get to the job, I do have to drive to get there, so no biggie there..How exactly is your wand better than any other ? flow? I can change jet size on almost any wand ( I run a 6 jet Ti now). And anybody can install a power inverter to their existing vehicle to power "extra's" as well.
So aside from "Steamway rhetoric" what exactly are you saying?
How is your system so vastly superior to mine?
What are your dry times like? Mine are dry to the touch in 15-20 minutes
using HWE.

IMHO

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I suppose Steam Way could used the same numbers as other machines since the Powermatic tested better than those at a summerfest a while back.

A 4 blower at 3100 rpm direct driven with a 2.5 inch system is a lot of vac at 100 feet which most of my residential jobs are. Vacuum is not as much as a vortex, but I believe its heat and flow at the carpet wand interface that cleans the carpet and that the vacuum extracts the water used. Once the water has flushed all the fiber clean, more vacuum (vortex, genesis 59, etc.) won't clean it better, but it may dry slightly faster if it removes a little more of the clean water left in the carpet after cleaning.

The Ti wand has some nice features and advantages,(I might get me a ti wand someday to use on some carpets) but if you talk to someone who has used both (not me) like what Larry Capitoli (I think) has posted, he will tell you it will clean better on the real trashed jobs. The heat stays higher, the fully enclosed single jet is low to the fiber and has larger droplets which adds to heat retention and to agitation.

Of course, all other things must be equal and not all carpet needs to be shot with an elephant gun to kill a fly, but its nice to have more than a flyswatter to kill an elephant with when you meet one. :)

So bottom line is you think vacuum is more important than heat and flow? I don't.

Loren

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
LOL I love a good a pi$$ing match!

Tom, there's NOT too many TMs on the market that can "maintain" constant 250 temps at 2+gpm "continous" flow.

I can keep the trigger keyed and hold 260 for ever with 06 flow at 450psi.
I hear the non X-therm HX ATs can, but there's NOT too many TMs on the market that can

Manufacturer's "claims" and real world are 2 different things.

But I digress, i didn't start this thread for a pi$$ing contest.
Was curious how a couple one man crews got such more productivity than they could with another outfit.
Besides the obvious of large water and waste tanks, it's seems a humongo blower is the only thing that's left imHo

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Loren mentioned our use of different wands.
I can say without a doubt, the SW enclosed flood jet wand, it THE flat out most heat and flush to the fiber wand we've ever used.

At one time, we did indeed grab that wand for trashed empties.
However, it does have it's draw backs as Dave VB mentioned.
And honestly, we haven't used it in a couple years

The 2" glided Ti wand became the choice of the 3 of us.
We run a Ti with 09 jetting and jet extenders.

I haven't done any side by side evaluations, but I really don't see any of us grabbing the SW wand anymore cause it's MUCH harder to push.
and I really don't want the little genie's shoulders to feel like mine after 16+ years of pushing a wand.

Loren, get a Ti wand (their original 6 jet ALL titanium wand) and a glide and some jet extenders from Greenie.
I think you'll be glad you did.
(or if your too old a dog to teach new tricks, suggest your your son-in-law try one out)

..L.T.A.

The Preacher

i bet Duane's Oxley's 25hp 45 blower Predator will keep up with a PM and it might just pass it if he plumbs the tank 2.5". I just don't know if the APO could dump that kind of recovery!!!!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
The PM's 45 blower is plumbed pretty efficiently Dan'l

Only one elbow from tank to blower, then a straight 10" drop (if that) out the bottom to the silencer.
All 2.5" plumbing.
If i understand, DooWayne uses a gas burner for heat.
You can make that as big as you want.
It's the HX units that have a tough time making (and regulating) mega heat

..L.T.A.

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
I run a 6 jet Ti wand, Green Glided , 9 flow with tip extenders to get the flow right to the carpet fiber interface with minimal heat loss. I do not know what jet's etc. Larry used on the Ti wand he tried so I cannot answer that point or his subjective opinion as to which is better.

Just for shits and giggles, lets go back to basics... we use water to flush / suspend soil and contaminates from carpets right? so basically we make mud and remove it right?
So if I remove more water (mud) that does equate to less soil left in the carpet right?
Am I missing something?
To answer your other point about vacuum being most important...
No... heat, flow and recovery are the principles I employ to clean not just heat and flow.
100 ft. hose run or 400 it doesn't matter to me...I get it clean and dry!

We have met before and I do respect you, I just don't think you or steamway (or Aero tech,for that matter) have all the answers or the best ever anything! I just felt your post was a little over the top and wanted to give you a reality check! IMHO

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I appreciate the reality check. That was also the reason for my post. Just trying to keep it real with an alternative point of view that also has some merit.

I question the mud concept that these boards always seem to promote. If, as you say, you are still removing mud with your truck mount vacuum, then I see your point in that more vacuum would remove more mud.

But if you have flushed enough to clean the fibers, you should by that time be removing clear water. At that point, then all you can remove with a little extra vacuum is a little extra clear water.

Is mud harder to remove than dry soil? If so, then why use water? Perhaps, since all methods use some moisture, soil is easier to remove if mixed with water, which makes mud, eh?

Maybe my thinking is too out of the box. :)
Loren

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
IMHO
Particulate soil is best dry vacuumed out, I'm referring to soluble soils left after dry soil removal.
It is my opinion No method or process removes 100% and I'm just trying to get as close as possible. Mud is a simple analogy and I'm a simple (minded) man.
Have you ever seen what many refer to as browning on 100% synthetic rug ( happens most on Berber style carpets)?
We know that without cellulose there is no browning, but rather soil wicking to the surface during the drying process that gives the brown cast. This perhaps is a better example of left behind soil. Another example from the dual method men would be padding a carpet after steaming and getting a dirty pad.( even though the carpet looked great after steamimg).
I am not convinced any method or process including a MOR in plant machine flushing in excess of 30 gal. per minute will give you a 100% clean rug. I operated a Mor for years and can tell you it did not remove everything.
Hence it is my opinion that no matter how hard we try we will never get it all, and the increased vacuum just gets a little more out than without the extra vac.

All this is just my theory and experiences and yours may be different.

My initial post was just that there are other machines capable of the same or better soil removal than yours...you seemed unaware of that, if you want to banter theory all day long, call me at 1-888-566-1119
and I'll happily discuss this further on my dime.

Again let me reiterate that I mean no disrespect, I find you to be a very intelligent and sincere person. I just have a different opinion than you, and after all that is part of what these boards are all about.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
"I run a 6 jet Ti wand, Green Glided , 9 flow with tip extenders to get the flow right to the carpet fiber interface with minimal heat loss. I do not know what jet's etc. Larry used on the Ti wand he tried so I cannot answer that point or his subjective opinion as to which is better. "

Just to clarify, Tom, I didn't "try" a Ti wand, we own and use one with the same jet and glide set up as you.
I mentioned that in my post above.
I own a half dozen different wands, too.

PS...Greenie, I did the stop watch thingy today.
100ft of hose reeled up in 19.9 seconds.
On another job today, I reeled in the 75ft we used at my "normal" pace to be fair.
20.7 seconds.

Side note;
I also timed our complete wrap up at another job.
Hoses, sprayer, spotters, wand, etc all put away.
I started the watch when Cody stepped out the entrance and stopped the clock when the last van door was closed.
I didn't tell Cody, cause I wanted him to work at his normal pace while i did my part at my normal pace.
Took us 4 min 20 seconds.

..L.T.A.

Name
Ron lippold
O my God

:D :roll: I did not believe it.
Just moved up to 12 flow on my T wand with extensions 225-230 all day productivity was way up.
Dry times 25-30 minutes. No humidity.
Thinking about pulling out my running shoes and and a oven mit so I can hold the wand with all the heat and run O my god could it be 18 flow.
:eek: :D :eek: Let me know what you think.

Recommended for V and AT owners only :D :D :D

Scott Rogers

I run a RV with 6 factory 1.5 FLOOD jets, ZERO heat loss at the carpet and more flow then a standard 9.

I can maintain just about any temp I need with my 250,000 BTU boiler, but I generally run around 240 at the TM. That is the sweet spot for me.

I believe the V will clean more efficient then my current setup because it is a more complete system. That is not saying I cant make my or any other system comparable, but these rigs come that way form the start. The large fresh water tank and large waste tank are time savers as are the power reels, but the biggest time save is the larger blower allowing more extraction per stroke. Can I do just a good of a job, I believe so but it may take a little longer. Speed isnt everything and most days I couldnt see a need for such a rig, but once in a while I sure do wish I had more suck especially out past 200 ft.

Name
Ron lippold
Suck

:D :D 300 foot run on the hose, for the guys not running a V or AT I,m sorry you just don,t know what you're missing, you're leaving it in the carpet.

Hang you're head!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greenie

Just for the record, 75 ft and 100 ft. are child's play. should run out 150+ and do the time thing.
In order to manually reel in 150' you would have to "stage the hose" in 50' runs, so it pulled fairly easy up and onto the reel.

The advent of cool cuffs makes elec. reels even more efficient.

I used to be pig headed too, "ah..I don't need an elec. reel"

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I still keep all 150' connected and crank the fuggers onto the reel. first hundred feet are a bitch. Ask Curt, he'd probably quit if he had to use my setup every day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom