How important is it to lube blower with wd-40 etc?

Able 1

Name
Keith
I wouldn't do it unless you sucked water through the blower and leave it sit. The blower is so hot the moisture just dries up just cleaning carpet.. I think WD-40 leaves a residue on your heat exchangers that makes it more important to clean them regularly(since they will collect more dust)..

Becker

Name
Becker
Able you are correct, however once you shut the machine off it cools, condensation can create, even more so if you leave water in the waste tank.

We have all had a little moisture in the blower exhaust on 1st job of the day for whatever reason.

Able 1 said:
I wouldn't do it unless you sucked water through the blower and leave it sit. The blower is so hot the moisture just dries up just cleaning carpet.. I think WD-40 leaves a residue on your heat exchangers that makes it more important to clean them regularly(since they will collect more dust)..

I used to do it EVERYDAY. I haven't sprayed anything in it in like 7 months. :shock:

Only because I can never find a damn straw.

I'm going to hit it tonight and will get back on schedule.

I always let the machine run for a bit to cool machine down and blow any moisture out.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Well yeah, if you leave a unit sit for a period of time you should spray it down and take your waste tank lid off, so it has a place to evaporate. Blowers run @ what 280 degrees by the time it cools down all the moisture should have evaporated.. Right?

Able 1

Name
Keith
danielc said:
Able 1 said:

I used to do it EVERYDAY. I haven't sprayed anything in it in like 7 months. :shock:

I always let the machine run for a bit to cool machine down and blow any moisture out.

When is the last time that you cleaned you heat exchangers?

Bryan P

I spray mine at the end of every day, with WD-40....Only because my Tuthill TI850 blower is somewhere around $7,400.00 new.

Thank you Shawn!

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
IMO its not very important at all unless you have a habit of running water through your blower, but everyone has their opinion. I haven't lubed a blower but a few times in the last 20 years and I haven't had to replace a blower.

glenboy

Name
GLEN
WD at on time stood for water displacement,after deregulation of solvents i believe it is no more, i buy the can with the straw attached and have not lost a straw in 5 yrs. like the Marvel oil idea. i may try that next.

Able 1 said:
danielc said:
[quote="Able 1":2jpb2zzt]I wouldn't do it unless you sucked water through the blower and leave it sit. The blower is so hot the moisture just dries up just cleaning carpet.. I think WD-40 leaves a residue on your heat exchangers that makes it more important to clean them regularly(since they will collect more dust)..

When is the last time that you cleaned you heat exchangers?[/quote:2jpb2zzt]

I am way past due. It's been about 1100 hours. Heat is still good though. Maybe off just a bit. Hopefully I can get two days off in a row next week and I will clean them out. Business has been really good. :p

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
I think WD-40 leaves a residue on your heat exchangers that makes it more important to clean them regularly(since they will collect more dust)..

Saw a heat exchanger for a Cleanco recently that was all gummed up...interesting. I used to do the WD lube at the end of the day but stopped a couple of years ago. Now I just give the blower a warm, clear water flush every 3-4 months. It's surprising how much murky water gets shot out of the exhaust before it clears up.

When I clean my heat exchangers out I doubt I will lube blower unless I am storing it for extended period. I think it does contribute to the exchangers getting dirty.

I would like to clean my blower out, but I would have to pull exchangers out and I don't want crap going all over my truck.

How would you clean blower out on prochem everest?

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
Not sure how other units are designed but the inconvenience of Cleanco's blower heat exchangers is that the blower would have to come off to get at them. So I just flush water right thru them & hopefully if they are getting gummed up the goop will be flushed out.

Able 1

Name
Keith
danielc said:
When I clean my heat exchangers out I doubt I will lube blower unless I am storing it for extended period. I think it does contribute to the exchangers getting dirty.

I would like to clean my blower out, but I would have to pull exchangers out and I don't want crap going all over my truck.

You will want to pull your heat exchangers and run fresh water through it....

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
How important is it to lube blower with wd-40 etc?

not very

my experience is about the same as Doug's

"I haven't lubed a blower but a few times in the last 20 years and I haven't had to replace a blower."

.l.T.A.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Bryan P said:
I spray mine at the end of every day, with WD-40....Only because my Tuthill TI850 blower is somewhere around $7,400.00 new.

Thank you Shawn!

Not sure you are really treating that expensive blower right, have you ever flushed it out?

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I had my blower on my backup (steam action nike) seize up on meafter we didnt use it or turn it on for a few weeks. I had to turn the shaft with a pipe wrench to free it. My tm guy told me to always lube especialy if its going to sit for a while

Able 1 said:
danielc said:

I know this, but I don't want to have crap blown all over the back of my seats and EVERYWHERE.

I could get some plywood and block off the cavity where the exchangers sit.

I am going to do it over the Christmas break if I ever slow down and the weather permits.

hogjowl

Idiot™
My local Mexican dude has an old TCS Warrior that he's been running like forever without ever lubing the blower or even running waste tank filters ... none ... not even the tube filter ... and his unit is still chugging away.

I do all my daily and monthly maintenance on time ... including blowing WD-40 through the blower and mine is still chugging away.

Something about this causes me to wonder ...

Able 1

Name
Keith
danielc said:
Able 1 said:
danielc said:

I know this, but I don't want to have crap blown all over the back of my seats and EVERYWHERE.

I could get some plywood and block off the cavity where the exchangers sit.

I am going to do it over the Christmas break if I ever slow down and the weather permits.

Probably easier to just leave the heat exchangers in, flush your blower, then clean the exchangers.

Well I learned how hard it is to get these hoses off that are melted to the fittings.

Broke the front heat exchager today. :oops:

Also supplier said DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CLEAN BLOWER. IT IS NOT DIRTY TO BEGIN WITH.

He said just spray some Pierce (wd-40 aternative) into the intake from the tank, replace the lid, and let it burn off.

Not much came out.

Also in order to get water into the blower you have to remove the lid. This creates a vacuum loss. The blower will just fill with water.

I'm not doing anything to it. Just going to run it and try not to suck foam through the blower.

Able 1

Name
Keith
YOU are probably better off going to the supplier.. The front heat exchanger is BRASS!! At what point did you say f-it I'll just pull as hard as I can instead of cutting the hose off :roll: ? :oops: At least the front one is the cheapest..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom