How many here "Sweat" the tax season?

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Here goes.

I hate to even bring this up for those of you that may be in my position.
The toughest thing that I find in business is to have the discipline (and teach it to other family members) to hold back for taxes. Our biggest problem is we're in that stage of our business where we're doing enough sales to cover our personal expenses and businesses expenses and have some monies left over for taxes but not quite covering the whole nut. Of course we're also into that stage where we don't have any BIg writes off's and also caught up in paying for some of those 179 writes offs we used previously.

I got frustrated when I talked to the Plummer putting in our hot water heater last week and find out he hasn't paid taxes in the 14 years he has been in business. Of course he doesn't use any software program and may not be doing things legit like we do and he has 6 kids and gets back an avg of 8k per year!

I am going up on residential prices some this year but maintaining commercial pricing since I only land about 30% of my bids now (excluding restaurants). However these increases may only cover our governments generous tax increases!

It's weird but when I'm able to talk shop with a business person my side of the conversation doesn't deal so much with marketing or what equip you use, or what's your favorite chemicals or spotters, but how do you discipline yourself to save enough for taxes and how long in business before that burden smoothed out a bit.

I realize that sometimes I make poor business decisions, for exams buying a new TM instead of purchasing a used one however quite honestly at this point it was easier to buy new than used. Also, I was at a point in business where our company couldn't afford the lengthy break downs of the V, sometimes getting us 30+ jobs behind. This was also my decision in buying American made vehicle where I could get it worked on a little less expensive and by many different repair shops and not be held hostage by one dealer. I also decided to buy new so as to limit breakdowns while I went through my slide in learning curve.

I also realize that it definately takes "time". I remember my first gm position in the restaurant business paid 20k a year and over the course of 30+ years my salary went up to the biggest of 130k a year when I supervised 10 Ryans drove 5k miles a month and worked about 80 hours a week. Then as the economy tank and business owners started finding ways to not pay bonuses to make their bottom line profits I decided after a 4 year decline in salary amongst lots of other reasons I decided to make this change.

Sorry for opening my soul to you guys but I did this without even having a beer. And I suppose this would be a great time for all you guys that have been through this or conquered this issue to either share your experience or your disciplin or bash.

Last edited:
Name
Bruce
Commenting on the discipline of saving for taxes , I take my tax off the top first before anything else. I have a friend that lost his pizza business because he wasn't paying his taxes , it wasn't that he couldn't afford to pay , he was just pissing it away because he wasn't disciplined enough to save it and let the money sit there through out the year.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I don't know what to tell you Billy. You gotta pay your taxes. It sucks. It seems you do all this work and get a little ahead and then you pay the government and you're broke again. And the cycle continues. On the bright side, this is as good as it will get. The president and congress have been putting the inevitable off for as long as they can to get re-elected, but taxes are going to have to go up. And up. Save more, spend less.
For us we have two mortgages and a huge 2nd mortgage that allow us to live way beyond our means and write of the interest, plus my wifes knit shop provides huge losses to write off so my tax bill is low. But ultimately that is a financial disaster waiting to explode. My plan is to die deep in debt. That seems to be the plan our leaders have for our country. Oh well, live in the moment..

Reactions: Newman

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
So Bruce what % do you take off the top?
25%?, seems this would be appropriate since we have about a 50% bottom line and uncle sam ends up with about 1/2 of that

hogjowl

Idiot™
My accountant is really good at estimating my tax burden for the next year and tells me how much to pay quarterly in advance. By following her directions, I normally don't have a huge payment due at one time. Sometimes those quarterly payments hurt, but it sure is better trying to find a few hundred dollars over having to come up with a few thousand later.

Name
I'm Rick James
Its good to never get behind.. I am finally not behind the 8 ball with taxes this year. Will skate through it with no problem and starting in 2013 I am making it easier for next year's tax time.

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
i hope all of you are in a s corp
if not will save you huge in self employment taxes alone

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Yeah, we started paying estimated quarterly taxes this year also. We pay what the accountants give us for state and then we try to pay 50% of the bottom line each quarter for federal taxes.
That has helped alot and we also try to set aside all the bigger jobs we do to go straight towards our tax liability. We are currently developing a marketing brochure to go after that segment that brings in the larger paying jobs so I am sure we will end up with "some" more of those this year which will help. I like Bruce and Art's process where they put aside a % of the total sales up front, which I figure will be around 25%. We have made big strides this year just looking for ways that others have trained themselves to help in this area.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Randy, thanks for that tidbit, we are an LLC and I will discuss with accountant when we do our returns in what it will take to switch it over. I suppose what you mean is saving the Soc Sec on income? The accountant is the one that suggested the LLC to begin with. I often wonder if we are just a number to our accountants since we are such a small business. I end up filling out about 15 pages of info for them which about 5 comes straight from quickbooks reports.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I'm probably more fortunate than most of you's being I have a monthly pension coming in. I just upped the % of federal taxes coming out of that check so's that I wouldn't be short at tax time. In fact, I've filed late for the last 3 years (extension) because I didn't owe anything.....I was overpaid. When I do get a refund, I always leave $1000 or more for next years taxes. As for payroll taxes....I use a payroll company (Ahola) who deducts, collects, and 1/4erly deposits what is due in payroll, with holding, state, and local taxes. The only thing I file myself is workers comp. It's getting tough to find deductions anymore since everything is paid off. Actual expenses on the van, fuel and maintainence for the TM, payroll, insurance, parts and supplies.......

.....oh, and for state sales taxes.....I pay them every month on the 23rd.....something you DON"T want to get behind on. Penalties and interest can really wack you!

Last edited:

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
the missus handles all of that stuff, but i know she takes 25% off the top of each check. then at the end of the quarter pays the estimate and either puts the excess $ towards the next quarter, or pays some bills off with it.

i pity her job! ignorance is bliss.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
if you get 30 plus jobs behind, I'm not sure how you can't hold back enough for taxes

I set it aside every month, pay my quarterly taxes state and federal and still hold back some because it never sems to be enough

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
V was down for 10 or 11 days that time. I think we only missed or lost 3-4 jobs just had to work the others in with the regular jobs when I got it back up and running.

Mikey P

Administrator
while you have your legs spread wide open Billy...

Do you have any regrets for buying into Ian's Wiz-chise?

Know what you know now, how would you go about starting off in a carpet cleaning business now?

is he still around?

SamIam

Name
sam miller
My accountant is really good at estimating my tax burden for the next year and tells me how much to pay quarterly in advance. By following her directions, I normally don't have a huge payment due at one time. Sometimes those quarterly payments hurt, but it sure is better trying to find a few hundred dollars over having to come up with a few thousand later.

Yuup thats how I roll too its done. No worries here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Mikey, knowing what I know now yes I would start a carpet cleaning business now, if you remember I got back in after being out a year. I have had more quality family time in 5 years than the previous 30+. Knowing what I know now I would approach it like I am now, build a solid commercial base then work on increasing my residential clients and maybe someday learning to let go of the reins some so I would have more time to build the business. I still think my pricing was where it needed to be at first to keep food on the table and I have increased a little every year except last year. I am sure that "most" that have been in it for awhile traveled down that same road. Would I have purchased a brand new V?, probably not however only because I could 't get it worked on locally. Would I have picked up restaurants clients all over the country "no" and I changed that part of my business model when I got back in.

and that's all I gots to say, thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoody and hogjowl

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox

I'm curious how cheap it is to live in Alabama, I have to cough up 7-8 grand every fricken quarter of the year. Maybe I'll move next door to marty.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I set up a differant bank account and usualy take around 10% of each deposit off the top . When I have overpayed I leave the amount in the system rather than accepting a refund. Last year I had to go on a shopping spree in november because if I didnt the money I spent on new equipment would have been took in taxes as it would have bumped me into the next tax bracket. I have it together as an owner op but really feel for you guys doing big business as the tax liability looks like it can be crushing.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I'm curious how cheap it is to live in Alabama, I have to cough up 7-8 grand every fricken quarter of the year. Maybe I'll move next door to marty.
Dmn dude if your paying in that much in your quarterly's you must be doin pretty well. Figuring a well ran business operates at around 20% profit after all expenses inculding an owners draw or compensation you must be grossing around 250k per year and have some pretty low over head.

Mikey P

Administrator
Oh I don't know, I'm still 300k above water on this pos house and this board alone would have me living real well in Greenville

Not to mention a few sheckles in the bank, market and under the mattress

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
Advertisers really don't worry about impressing idiots like you Marty.

Did you notice the two paying ads in that faggy magazine?

Rob is a slimmy douche bag and everybody in the industry knows it but you, apparently

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom