How Much Technology For Residential Techs?

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
How much technology are you giving residential techs currently or have thought about it for the long term?

Smart phone, I-pad, paper?

Per route/van not necessarily tech.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Lead Tech's have smarty phones, assistants have old tech phones.

I hate the added expense but they never get lost now.

Invoices are still old skoool paper and pen. :icon_redface:

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
GPS and $30. per month towards there phone. they all have smart phones anyway.
Would love to add ipads or something but the loss and damage expense would be too much.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
GPS
Pocket Calculator
They supply their own phone.
Radio in the truck.

I thought about using ipads for selling.
I think it will be a while before someone comes up with something for a multi truck operation that makes sense.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Spackle, wood putty and duck tape-- just Kidding.- maybe not--:hopeless:
Smart phones and tablets with mobile access to Service Monster and Squire. But we will be upgrading to the new Samsung Note 111 when it comes out and ditching the tablets.

The GREAT thing about access to Service Monster while out in the field is that the techs can check the clients history... For when the custy lies or tries to use the "Jedi Mind trick" to get a lower price.. That benefit alone has paid for the technology.

Last edited:

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
All of my techs use iPads and now iPad minis. All of our sales material is digital- videos, etc. Before and after photos , YouTube videos all done from the field with ease.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ben how are the tech's using the ipads?

We have few that would have the time to watch the videos. They usually meet us, show us what we are cleaning and split. I honestly can't see them taking the time to watch them. Maybe if our estimator is showing them or if we emailed it ahead of time.

It must be working for you, what are they asking the client?

Mikey P

Administrator
Spackle, wood putty and duck tape-- just Kidding.- maybe not--:hopeless:
Smart phones and tablets with mobile access to Service Monster and Squire. But we will be upgrading to the new Samsung Note 111 when it comes out and ditching the tablets.

The GREAT thing about access to Service Monster while out in the field is that the techs can check the clients history... For when the custy lies or tries to use the "Jedi Mind trick" to get a lower price.. That benefit alone has paid for the technology.

exactly.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom

I used to give my techs access to service monster. I just don't like the idea that someone has full access to names address and schedules.

I know a guy could copy down his invoices each day but allowing someone to sit at home and access it is a different story.

I wish SM had a way to create windows of time to access. Kind of like how my security system is set up.

Maybe I have missed this but if I could give them tablets and that would be the only access it might work.

For me the cost of tablets is exchanged for the fact I have Meters on every truck for water damage.

Still need to choose where I am spending my money.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Does service monster mobile come free with regular subscription or do we pay extra? Do we need to download an app or just use the tiny version that comes up on the phone? Ya, I should have asked them while on the phone with them today but wasn't thinking about it then.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Does service monster mobile come free with regular subscription or do we pay extra? Do we need to download an app or just use the tiny version that comes up on the phone? Ya, I should have asked them while on the phone with them today but wasn't thinking about it then.

Mobile version is part of the subscription. It's way too small for me on my Galaxy S4 so I suggest getting a tablet. The Galaxy Note 8 is a good deal.

Russ

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I'm really happy with my ipad mini too, would recommend it. I have an Otterbox Defender case on it and feel really good about having it on the truck. I would even trust a clumsy tech to use it...just not my truckmount ;-)

Russ

Name
Torrey Whitaker
I personally use a tablet with SM for everything.
I'm second guessing having my tech use one here in a couple months when he's full time solo and I have the second tm ready.

I'm thinking smart phone for tracking and communication via schedule, docs, emails etc. paper invoices though that can be entered manually by my hot office girl. (Wife)

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Well my lead technician has a smart phone and runs the square credit card off of it.

Otherwise were still old-school with invoices although we do collect emails and cell numbers for text reminders.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'm second guessing having my tech use one here in a couple months when he's full time solo and I have the second tm ready.
You're adding a second truck in the WINTER ? I would think adding a second truck in the Spring or Summer would be better than Winter, at least in this part of the country.

You must get slammed with Holiday work.

Name
Torrey Whitaker
You're adding a second truck in the WINTER ? I would think adding a second truck in the Spring or Summer would be better than Winter, at least in this part of the country.

You must get slammed with Holiday work.

Well ideally the new tm will be here in sept and put in the trailer unit I already have to carry restoration and portable equipment until I can buy another van to put it in.

We get unbelievably busy for a couple months right up to New Year's Day. Then it slows down some, but we stay pretty busy the last couple years and its only gotten better. Plus I'm implementing alot of new marketing. So I really do not fear winter.

Also I only took a loan on my first PTO tm and setup. (50k) Had to get off the ground ready to run hard IMO. Now that I have paid off all debts, I buy these things piece bug piece cash so that the pressure isn't so great. I'm small still. But I won't get scared out of growing.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I see, it's just September is but a few days away and you said in a few months. A couple of months Oct. Nov., which just seems like a tough time to add anything, no matter whether you fear winter or not.

Good luck a second unit should help with the Holidays. :icon_cool:

Name
Torrey Whitaker
I see, it's just September is but a few days away and you said in a few months. A couple of months Oct. Nov., which just seems like a tough time to add anything, no matter whether you fear winter or not.

Yea, its a combination of events before its complete. Starting with delivery of the tm which can be as soon as a couple weeks. Then mounting in the trailer temporarily, then finding and purchasing another van, then having everything in place to release the reigns on the helper/tech to be solo. So it could be a couple or few months before all steps are complete. No way to say for sure.

This winter is still gonna be a hard at the grind year of hands on work as usual. I'd like to have two techs and two machines rolling next year so that in slower times like winter I can take a month off and head south.
Gotta have goals. Now just the hard part of executing them..

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum

I don't know if it matters or not. But, the Farmers Almanac is forecasting a brutal winter this year.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Sounds crazy to me too, trailers in the winter sound like a nightmare anyway.

BUT, you have to just go for it. We learn way more from going out there and doing something, anything then talking about it on the internet.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I prefer to learn from others mistakes............I've made way too many of my own!

Seeing others make them, is some how comforting. Misery loves company ya know! :p

J/K you can tell people and tell people but some have to find out on their own. :icon_rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom