how old were you when you started cleaning?

F

FB7777

Opened my doors when I was 23... Started cleaning by working for a JanSan company at 22

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Opened my first (very small) janitorial service at 16. (I also did hard surface floors.)

Then at 19 heard about something called "steam carpet cleaning". Bought a Castex 700. Hand laid fiberglass, single stage 110" vacuum and a 60 psi Oberdorfer pump. Weighed 95# and absolutely indestructible. (I dropped it out of the back of my van on a freeway and it fired right up.) Oh, and by the way, 48 hour dry time!

At 23 my new partner and I decided to build one of those new-fangled "truck mounts". After all, we reasoned "how hard can it be"? We found out.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Oh, and BTW there was no internet provided "shoulder to cry on" back then. You young whipper-snappers don't know how good you have it!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
12, I vacuumed edges with a tank vacuum and vacuumed up the shampoo after my father scrubbed with a HILD scrubber. All for the low low price of $1.00 an hour. :(

Mikey P

Administrator

Knocked up the little lady and had to move on from my glamorous career as a prep cook at a vegetarian restaurant so we could afford 100% cotton diapers. .

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
20's
Step Dad owned a Carpet Business growing up so I got carpet fiberitis alot younger, lol

RugWorx

Name
Joe Couch
19 (I am now 37) and when I bought the business from the guy I thought I was going to be rich. He keep telling us that you can make a $100 a hour. As a 19 year old kid I thought that I had hit the lottery.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Wheew rough looking group, I guess it was the 70's but man. I wouldn't hire me now. :icon_redface:

Meat16-1.jpg

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Damn Richard! Your hair was longer than mine. I worked for Stanley when I was 32/33. Started biz when I was 41.

Studebaker

Name
Studebaker
Around 8 years old in the family janitorial, cleaning bathrooms and dumping garbage. In 1971 my dad started cleanmaster and the clear plastic portables started. Around 75 we were doing carpets and got our first TM, a judge unit out of Portland.

In 1980 I started my own window cleaning business and bought another judge, then a prochem.

So I guess I can say a long time.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Wheew rough looking group, I guess it was the 70's but man. I wouldn't hire me now. :icon_redface:

Meat16-1.jpg

Is that Marty on your right??

I can't remember that far back to when I started.

:very_drunk:

PS:: I HAD hair like that back then also. :redface:

Ron K

I was old enough to know better but didn't wanted to try something new I was 33.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
10....scrubbing the edges with a brush, while my dad ran the VS :hopeless:...which he had started the biz just after i was born....

At age 15 he decided to get some portables...again :hopeless: because looking back....they werent the best out there just the cheapest...

which brings up the point.....it truly is the man on the machine, and not the machine...it just makes your life easier

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Started cleaning windows at 14 or 15. First carpet job at 16. Started WWE (Warm water extraction) with a Steamex in 1976. Got one of those clear Cleanmaster units a couple years later.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Started cleaning as an employee when I was 23. I remember some of the jobs showing up with the von Schrader...

People look at me like "what are you doing with this thing here, we wanted carpet cleaning!"

And I'm there trying to explain how great is all this about dry foam...but didn't speak much English..so I had customers that kicked me out basically.
Oh well- I survived.
Started on my own when I was 31 but had a couple years break before that, where I didn't clean carpets.

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Carried buckets of shampoo and related things starting at 9. That would be 1968. Didn't like his first HWE machine a few years later. Then I had to make TWO trips...dang waste water!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom