Hydramaster goes Electric

Mikey P

Administrator
12782008_964241866944598_692272983_n.jpg

12782567_964236373611814_191579345_n.jpg

HM has gone with an electric alternative for use in the new Euro vans. It has it's own van powered generator (van needs to be running) a #4.8 blower, General Pump and two heat exchangers

Not sure if this unit will be at Atlanta but they promise it will be at Nashville

hm.jpg

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
"Gone are the days of tensioning Vbelts, aligning drive shafts, replacing couplers. With the xDrive system maintenance is reduced to nothing more than regular oil changes"

Sounds pretty good.
What with all those top notch components the performance should be great..
Too bad the van has to run..

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
So it's basically a CDS/direct drive only they replaced the clutch/driveshaft with a generator, motor drive, and electric motor? Very cool!

Mikey P

Administrator
Dan do you have any idea as to what rpms the van would have to be running to power the generator?

Any reason to NOT use the diesel motor option?

Reactions: Kevin B

Chris A

Name
Chris
I'd be real interested to see if the heat is worth a darn

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Any of the test unit's users allowed to chime in? Weren't they saying that these were out in the field for a while?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
So, they have figured out how to do away with the drive shaft?

Is that the main benefit of the new design?

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Let's hope so.

Unlike that other place.

Plot twist: in the back office at Hydramaster Hqs... Guy feverishly typing away on the computer... New -until now- unknown mikeysboard members popping up....praising the unit to the moon and back...suckers jumping on bandwagon buying it because some profile on mikeysboard made the claim he used it for 8 months and it is the greatest thing that'll change the truckmount industry. :lol:

Reactions: Willy P

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Dan do you have any idea as to what rpms the van would have to be running to power the generator?

Any reason to NOT use the diesel motor option?
I haven't read up on the unit, don't know whether the Gen is high voltage ac or lower voltage dc so hard to answer the rpm question, but if the unit uses engine coolant hx's the diesel engine might have a problem maintaining adequate solution temp...

hogjowl

Idiot™
Plot twist: in the back office at Hydramaster Hqs... Guy feverishly typing away on the computer... New -until now- unknown mikeysboard members popping up....praising the unit to the moon and back...suckers jumping on bandwagon buying it because some profile on mikeysboard made the claim he used it for 8 months and it is the greatest thing that'll change the truckmount industry. :lol:
Butler has Saiger.

Hydramaster needs to find their own.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
if it's not feasible to put drive shafts in the new vans, maybe we will see the rebirth of hydraulic systems. Instead of a generator running off the engine, you have a hydraulic pump. You run the hoses under the van (no holes in cabin) and attach them to fittings leading to the hydraulic motor on the cleaning unit. Still using the vans engine for heat. The problem with the old hydraulic units is often the hydraulic fluid would over heat. Just need a larger reservoir and maybe running a coolant exchange thru the water box.

Reactions: roro and Tim Page

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Rumor has it that GMC is going to start putting a diesel engine in there Savannah Express platform starting in 2017. Which to me signifies at that van will be around for at least a few more years

Cleaned for a chevy/gm fleet salesman last year. He basically said they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Why would they? Seems like lots of room in the market for an old school RWD van, although I wish they'd update the engines

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Why Dan? Isn't the diesel supposed to run hotter?
Wow, I was replying while working and put my mouth in gear prior to engaging my brain. I was confusing coolant temperature with exhaust temperature. Disregard my earlier statement. :redface:

Reactions: Zee
Name
Scott Turknett
I happen to know a tester of the new machine is a member here. Let's see if said member chimes in. I don't want to out the person in case they are not allowed to comment.

But I did ask about it last week when I picked up my two new cds's and was told that they would be available before summer

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Lee, the little blurb mentions soft start, so there's a motor controller of some sort in there too....

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Mechanical to generator, electric to motor, motor to (gasp)pulleys and belts that drive components.
If the vehicle has no way to fit a driveshaft, or the manufacturer won't warranty such an installation, then electric may be the only way. That or hydraulic, and we all know how that worked out.....

Reactions: Able 1

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom