I REALLY DON’T GET IT…

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
a wife that gives them 6 months to make it happen

We helped start a number of people in the cleaning business for the past 50 years (past 44 in my case...).

The spouse has always had a great deal to do with the success or failure of the business. Two categories:

1. Supportive and VERY patient: Those willing to work for "free" because "someday it will all be worth it" helped a lot of businesses make it, though several years of unpaid work eventually adds up to some hostility and bitterness.

2. Has a "Real Job". A wife with a good job of her own and a husband who doesn't mind that she's a a bread winner for a few (ok often several years...who am I kidding, sometimes for the life of the business) years is often what makes the difference between failure and success.

Mikey P

Administrator
It's hard enough to get a new cleaning biz off the ground with great equipment and all the training we have as an industry to offer.

Most attempts only have so much funding to spend (waste) on online ads, crappy websites and door hangers.

and the reality is most guys that are allured into the cleaning industry are dumb as rocks.

I would guess that 30K take home a year is a high average.

Fortunately we have the 2% club to fund my endeavors.

Mikey P

Administrator
We helped start a number of people in the cleaning business for the past 50 years (past 44 in my case...).

The spouse has always had a great deal to do with the success or failure of the business. Two categories:

1. Supportive and VERY patient: Those willing to work for "free" because "someday it will all be worth it" helped a lot of businesses make it, though several years of unpaid work eventually adds up to some hostility and bitterness.

2. Has a "Real Job". A wife with a good job of her own and a husband who doesn't mind that she's a a bread winner for a few (ok often several years...who am I kidding, sometimes for the life of the business) years is often what makes the difference between failure and success.

Damon is going to go on a baconburger guilt binge after reading that.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
It
It's hard enough to get a new cleaning biz off the ground with great equipment and all the training we have as an industry to offer.

Most attempts only have so much funding to spend (waste) on online ads, crappy websites and door hangers.

and the reality is most guys that are allured into the cleaning industry are dumb as rocks.

Fortunately we have the 2% club to fund my endeavors.
Looks so easy on Facebook.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
We weren’t carpet cleaners, but the same. Mine took early retirement from the phone company, had her buy out as capital, they gave us the equipment to start the floor business, and the business to start. We worked side by side, she was invested. It was still hard for sometime!

Reactions: AlienAgent

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich

It takes a lot of 3 room $99 specials to make $30k. 303 actually. I’ve said for years that this industry is packed with people who can’t do basic math.

Also consider, how much of America is rural to semi rural? In my county of 44,000, I would be shocked to learn that there is much over $150,000 of carpet cleaning happening per year. Probably not even that much. Including the fly by night janitorial companies and Hoover/Bissell/Rug Dr type of DIY.

This industry isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

Mikey P

Administrator
It takes a lot of 3 room $99 specials to make $30k. 303 actually. I’ve said for years that this industry is packed with people who can’t do basic math.

Also consider, how much of America is rural to semi rural? In my county of 44,000, I would be shocked to learn that there is much over $150,000 of carpet cleaning happening per year. Probably not even that much. Including the fly by night janitorial companies and Hoover/Bissell/Rug Dr type of DIY.

Probably best to make it a cash hobbie and have a real job when benefits

Name
jack zerkie
If your really on a budget you can always get a COBB don't laugh mine is 12yrs old and only replaced engine . It can keep up 220 temp wth a 11002 two jet wand all day. Vacum 45 is great and whole set up is easy no cage wide open. Now I'm the only operater. but still a great investment for under 18 K but that's the their base unit there are larger units they have. Great for a started or second unit. I have had the Hydramaster water cooled unit with the 47 blower and I like my Cobb unit easier and fewer problems. jz

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

The problem is guys who actually believe people offer $99 carpet cleaning specials. That's just the foot in the door. Now you have to do your job and sell, sell, sell. That's how they make their money. Those guys walk away with more money than us poor slobs who want to be paid what we're worth.

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
The problem is guys who actually believe people offer $99 carpet cleaning specials. That's just the foot in the door. Now you have to do your job and sell, sell, sell. That's how they make their money. Those guys walk away with more money than us poor slobs who want to be paid what we're worth.
That doesn’t fly in small communities. But I agree, that’s the $99 hustle.

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
I can’t understand how any normal joe can even afford to buy a new machine or van anymore. The prices are f- ing ridiculous. I just bought a new 570 and a slightly used transit and it set me back 85k. I remember when an Aerotech was 100k. What do they run nowadays? The only way anyone can get into this business is to buy a POS.
I think your timing is perfect for this wave of demand for owner operators. And it will now justify even more on higher charges and thats legit.
Now is a great time to start because of the online connectivity, for Owner Operators. If you go all in and stay solo, get some courses in, you can do great. But as soon as you even take on a helper it changes everything. Im back to solo now and am cashing in with new tools and bettter efficient techniques.

Feat no AI either, we are in a very good way as owner operators. Like really good I think.

• Love
Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
I think your timing is perfect for this wave of demand for owner operators. And it will now justify even more on higher charges and thats legit.
Now is a great time to start because of the online connectivity, for Owner Operators. If you go all in and stay solo, get some courses in, you can do great. But as soon as you even take on a helper it changes everything. Im back to solo now and am cashing in with new tools and bettter efficient techniques.

Feat no AI either, we are in a very good way as owner operators. Like really good I think.
post of the year.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I see post on Facebook groups, I can't afford a truckmount or $2500 porty.

Can I use a Mean Green machine, I'll buy better equipment soon......

There was a guy on YouTube.

Running around with a oreck orbital and pads.

Getting loose and making 💰💰💰.
I started high when I listed my old van and machine for sale. Regardless of how low I dropped the price, nobody could afford what I was asking. They were low balling me. I finally sold it to my competitor for 15k.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I started high when I listed my old van and machine for sale. Regardless of how low I dropped the price, nobody could afford what I was asking. They were low balling me. I finally sold it to my competitor for 15k.
How many hours and miles on van?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
A few pics of some of my loot.

PXL_20230628_021426302.jpg PXL_20230628_021418727.jpg PXL_20230628_021416040.jpg PXL_20230627_190236018.jpg PXL_20230627_190225223.jpg PXL_20230627_190217730.jpg

Mikey P

Administrator
Hey Pad Fam! I'm selling most of my stuff! Started up a few years back part time, have been successful and I love it. Proud of what I built! I have a full-time job that is offering a different path long term, and I simply can't keep up with this on the side. Calls for service are stressing me out at this point and just taking away from family time. Since I started my business I had 2 kids and major growth in my career and just don't have the time I used to. Thanks for all the advise I received from many of you over the years. I started with $2000 from Dogecoin sales
🐕
🪙
💵
and profited an awesome amount during its course! It funded 40k in home renovations plus some.
FOR SALE OUT OF HOUSTON (Pictures to follow when I have time)
-Swirly
-Koblenz 3/4 hp
-Mytee 2002CS with upgraded 220 PSI pump
--carpet wand, 2 upholstery tools, 40 feet in hose (15 foot and 25 foot)
-Ryobi 5 gallon battery sprayer
-Assorted chemicals (many of them new)
--Chems that are open and all pads are free with the Swirly. Sealed chems 50% off. All Encapstore products.
Send me reasonable offers, otherwise I'll post some prices later.

1687927090258.png

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
post of the year.
Yeah man. I seen other industries cycle to guys who stuck it out over 20 years. They were making 20K-30K per weekly trip on deck. (that party is over now). I was average about 3K for 10 days.

Builders, Landscapers, seen them all go large or stay small cherry picking.

Our time now (residential multi surface cleaning) for the owner operators. The perfect storm

Reactions: Mikey P

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
Hogjowl posted on the other thread:
I haven’t posted on this thread (I don’t think) because I’ve been around long enough to know that most of you guys haven’t got a clue and would answer with a focus on procedure. The real difference is that the good quality focused cleaners understand that it takes longer to clean properly and aren’t afraid to charge for it. In fact, most probably aren’t aware of what their local hacks even charge.

This is powerful and true. Time is the key, takes longer for premium results. Only so much time in a day.
This is another strong PRO on why we are in such a good time. No big franchise or "in and out" multi truckers can match the quality CONSISTANTLY. Every day.

This is obviously not the way to think for trying to start up a business that will "work for You" and you just count the money and flip it. Blood, sweat and happy tears, and your in.
The coveted $1K days (now $1250) are a dime a dozen if your willing.

Time and Procedure and tools.

todg

Name
Michael Marcus
I've never had a brand new truck mount. I have had great luck finding used deals and can do some work on them myself. My latest is a 2011 Savana with a Prochem Apex for $18,000. Mint condition, low mileage, works perfect. Sold my 2002 Cleanco for $10,000 so it only cost me $8000. Probably be the last truck I buy except I am going to look at a guy who has an Astro Van with an ETM, a sprayborg, and a power washer with some accessories for $3000 tonight. Can't imagine what condition it's all in for that price but you never know. Claims the van has 150,000 kilometers. Less than 100,000 miles. I am more interested in the Sprayborg than everything else but if the price is right, I might make some profit out of it
There's always that 1 guy that gets a great deal on everything...The needle in the haystack

Reactions: SamIam

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I used to work for various department store cleaning operations. If you didn't meet a certain average in sales, you were fired.
Which ones? I started in this business with Adler & Sons back in 1982. In the Detroit area we represented J.C. Penney as their cleaning department.

Mikey P

Administrator
Hogjowl posted on the other thread:

This is powerful and true. Time is the key, takes longer for premium results. Only so much time in a day.
This is another strong PRO on why we are in such a good time. No big franchise or "in and out" multi truckers can match the quality CONSISTANTLY. Every day.

This is obviously not the way to think for trying to start up a business that will "work for You" and you just count the money and flip it. Blood, sweat and happy tears, and your in.
The coveted $1K days (now $1250) are a dime a dozen if your willing.

Time and Procedure and tools.

That's why I like one cleaning job a day

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom