Interview with Christopher Davis 2-15-07

harryhides

Name
Tony
Hi Chris and thanks for doing this. I hope you are relaxed and have your favorite beverage beside you.
Tell us a little about yourself, your hobbies, interests, sports and the kind of music you like.

I’m 59, thrice-divorced, married to my job, my daughter has advised me next time I think about getting married I should just find a woman I hate and buy her a house. My spare time, if I have any, I spend piddling around my house. I know just enough about home improvement and interior design to be dangerous. I was formerly a professional photographer and a darkroom technician, but I spend more time framing than taking photos anymore. I prefer football and basketball to baseball and in a former job worked very closely with the Oakland Raiders, Oakland A’s and Golden State Warriors, though now I’m more of a Lakers and Angels fan. I listen to a wide variety of music, mostly smooth jazz, pop and some oldies

Please explain your association and what is it purpose?

The WFCA is much like most associations. Our primary goal is to raise the standards and practices in the industry, generate the sale of more floor covering and ensure the vitality and profitability of our members. We maintain a lobbying presence in Washington, DC to both monitor and propose (and sometimes oppose) legislation and regulatory activity impacting our members and floor covering consumers. To create customers for our members we have a web site (wfca.org) that functions as the premier source of unbiased information about every type of floor covering on the Internet. It’s connected to a powerful dealer locator that funnels those browsers into buyers and connects them with retailers. We have all kinds of benefits for our members, from favorable insurance rates to discounts on just about every imaginable business service from payroll to telephone answering on-hold messages, reduced freight rates to reduced credit card processing rates. Each member is also eligible to up to $500/annually in trade scholarship funds that can be used for just about any type of training, including our online program, Trainingspace.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Also the scholarship program - what if we formed an association & became an “affinity groupâ€Â

harryhides

Name
Tony
Part two: do you think aligning with an independent cleaning firm of similar quality can help establish this differentiation?

Yes, absolutely. Someone pay attention to what Howard Partridge has done in South Texas.

Do you ever see an alignment of a large retail group such as Carpet One with a national franchise such as Stanley Steemer.

No. But at some point CCA Global (parent of Carpet One, Flooring America, et al) may either develop their own from within, or make an acquisition to integrate

Do you see the Chem Dry acquisition by HD as a workable proposition?

No. And my crystal ball sees them divesting themselves of a lot of their adventuresome acquisitions now that Nardelli is gone.

Do you have any carpet in your home?
Yes.

Who cleans the carpet in your home.?

I vacuum it. An independent IICRC certified technician and certified firm cleans it.

Would you rent a Rug Doctor to clean your own carpet or have you ever tried using one?

No. And the reason is a long time ago I did rent one and I’m pretty positive the operator (me) was incompetent.

What is your position ( or Retailers in general ) regarding referring national franchise groups versus trained, independent cleaners?

The WFCA has no position other than to refer our members. It appears as if most retailers do not believe carpet should be cleaned, because most I’ve dealt with do not wish to refer anyone.

At this time it seems the carpet mills are like tourists in China – we all look the same. How do we as an industry change the carpet mill perception that all carpet cleaning firms are run by bottom feeders?

Actually, that really is changing and it is due in a great deal to IICRC and particularly people like Jeff Bishop, Ruth Travis and others who are constantly in the face of senior mill people and the CRI in particular.

It is MUCH better than a few years ago---and that is thanks to Ms. Consumer abandoning carpet for other flooring choices. The mills finally got around to asking “why?â€Â

harryhides

Name
Tony
Here is a question that was sent in:

"What percentage of floor covering is now "hard" versus "soft"?

And do you see that figure changing in the next few years?

Ps, To Chris and everyone else, don't forget to "refresh" once in a while..

harryhides

Name
Tony
How is WFCA reaching out to create better relationships
between their core members - retailers and installers - and
the cleaning industry? How important do you feel this type
of dialogue and cooperation is?

Mikey P

Administrator
I'd like to know what company saw fit to pay 40 million to buy the Surfaces name and how long will it take them to get a return on their investment?

harryhides

Name
Tony
Chris Davis said:
That which is not hard is soft. About 58-60% is soft.

Chris, do you see Soft flooring continuing to lose market share to the hard surfaces?

Scott

Hi Chris - Scott Rendall here. I don't know if you remember me but we went to a fantastic steak house together with Barry Lichtenstein and Ed Hobbs in Orlando a few years back during Connections.

Anyway, I have a question about the SOA. There has been a lot of dissension in the ranks about Rug Doctor garnering a Gold System rating. Can you give us some input as to how this is beneficial to the consumer? I realize you're not "in charge" of the CRI but maybe you can give us some sort of direction here.

Maybe I speak for myself in stating that it doesn't pass the "sniff test" to me as you so succinctly stated during an IICRC BOD meeting over another issue.

Thanks

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Chris;

Thanks for joining us tonight and answering our questions.

Our company is a regional cleaning product manufacturer in Dallas, Texas.

As such we utilize enzymes, oxidizers and natural solvents in our carpet cleaning detergents.

I am concerned that the "3 mineral soils" used in the CRI X-ray fluorescence testing are not representative of the oily soils that carpet cleaners face in their daily cleaning operations.

Carbon-containing soils are the "sticky component" of the soils cleaners are faced with daily. Yet the XRF testing system cannot test for the removal of these types of soil.

Are you aware of any side-by-side test comparisons done to validate the XRF testing methods?

Larry Cobb
IICRC certified, ASCR member, AOCS member, ISSA member

Scott

By the way, Chris, I want to thank you for attending the Hot Seat tonight. You are definitely a person that I consider "one of the good guys" in the industry. Your insight to the IICRC from the WFCA position is incredible and extremely forward-looking.

G

Concerning Mills claims to paying out millions on cleaning related claims - I'm not sure what the warranty will actually cover , but I cant EVER remember anyone getting their carpet replaced from a warranty claim , much less someone elses cleaning screwup.

I guess what my question is , from your experience , what constitutes a successful warranty claim ??

Chris Davis

Sorry about the tech prob.

We've added cleaners to our committees and that is helping to broaden everyones understanding.

D

Dennis Klager

Hi Chris,

I've always considered carpet installers to be very....very, independent people who would be incredibly difficult to corral into any kind of organization.

Do you see any framework like the one that carpet cleaners have (IICRC) ever working for installers?

Thanks,

Dennis Klager
IICRC Instructor

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Hi Chris,

Thank you for being here, and I hope you make this board a regular stop. Your continuing input would be much appreciated. I spoke with Werner Braun today, and he has agreed to follow you on the hot seat next week. I hope you tune in for that interview as well.

In my opinion, trends in the flooring industry are simply that, trends....while hard or soft goods may wax or wane in popularity, the only thing you can always count on is that the pendulum will shift.

That said, I feel the consumers general dissatisfaction with carpet lately is largely due to poor quality materials (PET polyester, cut pile olefin, etc.) which are used to bring pricing down. Carpet doesn't last as long as it used to.

I feel strongly that this is largely due to the proliferation of big box mass retailers who offer a staggering range of choices to consumers, with little guidance. The consumer is left comparing similar "appearing" product by the only means they know....price. And they are often making poor choices for their living situations. How do you feel this trend to big box retailing can be addressed effectively?

Take care,
Lisa

Mikey P

Administrator
Chris had some problems with ol'Betsy the spelling cow.
Now we got it fixed and he will work on answering the above questions.

Sorry for the delay.

You can all blame Harv for not making sure he was familiar with how the board worked.

Damn Canadians take everything for granite..... :oops:

Chris Davis

Hanley-Wood , a B2B media company, bought Surfaces. They are now owned by J.P. Morgan Partners. They have restructured the show in ways that it is impossible for me to figure out when they'll break even.

Chris Davis

I think the market share has somewhat stabilized for the time being, but I doubt you'll ever see 80% broadloom anymore.

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
You could give some "people person" tips to Larry Cooper. He seems to have a difficult time with this.

Especially the ones who are paying to be there.

Chris Davis

Hey Scott, I remember you! Don't ask me to explain the CRI SOA program, it ain't mine and I can't. I was under the impression Rug Doctor got a bronze star or something. I think you are about to see some improvements in the SOA program in the near future.

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
I think CRI has already played their BS card when they accepted the rug doctor as a real means of cleaning carpet.

Its all about corporate greed now.

Chris Davis

james cooper said:
Concerning Mills claims to paying out millions on cleaning related claims - I'm not sure what the warranty will actually cover , but I cant EVER remember anyone getting their carpet replaced from a warranty claim , much less someone elses cleaning screwup.

I guess what my question is , from your experience , what constitutes a successful warren tee claim ??

One where everyone is happy with the end result. Probably has never happened. Short of that, that the CUSTOMER is happy.

Chris Davis

Dennis Klager said:
Hi Chris,

I've always considered carpet installers to be very....very, independent people who would be incredibly difficult to corral into any kind of organization.

Do you see any framework like the one that carpet cleaners have (IICRC) ever working for installers?

Thanks,

Dennis Klager
IICRC Instructor

Sure, Why not? The good ones will play. The bad ones probably won't.
By the way, it's the same with retailers and cleaners.

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
Chris

do you know how many claims that have been submitted by the customer was due in part the manufactures error?

I'm sure someone or some organization tries to keep these stats.

Chris Davis

truckmount girl said:
Hi Chris,

Thank you for being here, and I hope you make this board a regular stop. Your continuing input would be much appreciated. I spoke with Werner Braun today, and he has agreed to follow you on the hot seat next week. I hope you tune in for that interview as well.

In my opinion, trends in the flooring industry are simply that, trends....while hard or soft goods may wax or wane in popularity, the only thing you can always count on is that the pendulum will shift.

That said, I feel the consumers general dissatisfaction with carpet lately is largely due to poor quality materials (PET polyester, cut pile olefin, etc.) which are used to bring pricing down. Carpet doesn't last as long as it used to.

I feel strongly that this is largely due to the proliferation of big box mass retailers who offer a staggering range of choices to consumers, with little guidance. The consumer is left comparing similar "appearing" product by the only means they know....price. And they are often making poor choices for their living situations. How do you feel this trend to big box retailing can be addressed effectively?

Take care,
Lisa

Lisa, Do you take your decorating tips from people who wear orange aprons? That'll wax and wane, too. Big boxes do draw attention to the category...but that's about all you can say.

Chris Davis

Vincent said:
You could give some "people person" tips to Larry Cooper. He seems to have a difficult time with this.

Especially the ones who are paying to be there.

Don't underestimate Larry Cooper. He may be gruff at times, but I'ver seen him herd cats.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom