had enough with dealing with the leak in my V Fresh tank

Ripped off the filthy lid

photobucket-4465-1325983483018.jpg

Found that one of the pos baffle walls broke loose , AGAIN :!:

photobucket-2638-1325983422728.jpg

(propped up in pic)

Free heat system still works..

photobucket-4303-1325983439239.jpg

But my leak was just this ******* plastic fitting on the bottom end of the water sight tube.

Took it to Home Depot and cant find anything to replace it with, super fine threading...

Any one have a clue what industry this comes from?

photobucket-3996-1325983461406.jpg

the black line in there is the crack..

Mikey P

Administrator
some sort of plastic, is not as hard as PVC.

Very fine threads is all I know, could not find a similar thread in all of HD, plumbing or nuts and bolts

Connor

Name
Connor
What do the fine threads fit into? Is it just for plain water?

Name
Lee Stockwell
I'm sure my plumbing place would have it, probably in brass though. I'm fortunate to live in a place with an old time family hardware store that rocks. HX fittings my sons paid $20+ for at Interlink in Nashville I got for $4 at Shop-a-rama.

The baffle can be welded in a few minutes with a TIG, but brush it out first. Don't be tempted to arc weld it unless you are very steady.

Lowe's will have better plumbing selection than HD, but hope you can find a place like mine.

Mikey P

Administrator
fits into a welded on female fitting on the bottom of the tank

Same fitting up top, a clear tube runs between them with compression fittings.

Worse case scenario I just put this one up top, not going to leak above the water line.

Connor

Name
Connor
From what I see, it looks like a 3/8" ips x 3/8" compression elbow like you'd use on a dishwasher.

Name
Lee Stockwell
It IS a street-el, looks like a nat gas fitting. Is it described in the schematics in the owners manual? (yeah right)

3/8npt x ???fine by looks.

Bob Foster

Just go to an irrigation supply place and they can make you up one with a slip 90 and two nipples. PVC or ABS.

Conner could make that up in a second.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Mikey P said:

Worse case scenario I just put this one up top, not going to leak above the water line.

If the fitting leaks water, it will leak air even faster. This will change the level in the tube and give you a false indication (lower than the level really is).

Name
Lee Stockwell
dgardner said:
Mikey P said:

If the fitting leaks water, it will leak air even faster. This will change the level in the tube and give you a false indication (lower than the level really is).

????????

At the top the fitting is open to AIR anyway. No functional difference, no leaks unless the tank is overfilled or sloshes above the top fitting.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Lee Stockwell said:
dgardner said:
[quote="Mikey P":8q3tiw5m]fits into a welded on female fitting on the bottom of the tank

????????

At the top the fitting is open to AIR anyway. No functional difference, no leaks unless the tank is overfilled or sloshes above the top fitting.[/quote:8q3tiw5m]

You're right, I thought we were talking about the recovery tank. After re-reading the post, Mike plainly said it was the fresh tank. My bad.

Mikey P

Administrator
Found a replacement in my new buddy's garage..

photobucket-2403-1326055286232.jpg

Had a customer offer to do some welding if I ever needed help with my tanks..

Five hours later he may have regretted ever opening his mouf.

photobucket-3461-1326055263568.jpg

photobucket-1518-1326059773343.jpg

I did score him a Mytee Tempo Spotter for cost though..

Found a crack in a weld along a floor seam and a corner seam as well as that cracked plastic fitting

It was the baffle walls the took the most time though. Not the first time they came loose, the pos tank is so flexy that the spot welds (originally tack welds :shock: ) break loose and the walls come tumbling down This time we made ss brackets and welded them to the side of the tank and loosely bolted them on in 4 spots so they can flex and float with the movement.

photobucket-6061-1326055231615.jpg

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Really we gotta see has ass that much???

hope he gets a discount next time he needs work done....

more for showing his ass then time spent repairing it :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Connor

Name
Connor
That fitting looks like it's cts, copper tube size, on the compression x regular ips threads. Next time you need one of those, you can get a Quest brand fitting from HD or Lowes. They are gray and on the same aisle as pex piping usually. Also a "sharkbite" brand fitting would have worked too.

What kind of pipe was on the side with the nut?

Back
Top Bottom