Ipod while cleaning or not?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I cleaned the carpet at my house over the weekend. No one was home so I plugged my ipod to a boom box the kids have and cranked it up. After about an hour my son walks in with big eyes. Laughing he commented on how loud it was and that I was really rockin it. :headbang:

Music sure makes the time pass a lot faster when working, which got me to thinking. Do you wear an ipod when cleaning? Residential? Commercial?

I don’t mind the guys wearing them on commercial but we don’t let them on residential. How about you?

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Bluetooth that plays music.

No one is the wiser that its not just there for taking calls plus it leaves one ear free to hear possible problems with the equipment or someone talking to me. Plus its great for taking calls without having to stop working, it actually cancels noise out from the equipment much better than the phone by itself.

It goes in after I've walked the job with the customer and have everything set up and then comes out when I go to walk the job after and collect.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
not my thing....my focus is on the noise and sounds my equipment is making.........

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Those first two responses are spot on. I use a bluetooth for listening to music on occasion, but often find myself listening to my machine more often. I am in training to train one ear to handle each task......:headbang:

Now, a cimex and headphones is a money making combination!!

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
Bryan, after talking to you the other day at Jon Don I picked up one of those hands free bluetooth earpieces. Now I can stream Internet radio while cleaning and the customer never knows. You still have one ear to hear things going on. Richard you are right on, it does make the day go by faster.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I was a little reluctant at first to allow them to use them on the job but they are discreet, and you can't hear the music coming from them. So I gave in and it's not been a problem, the tech's are busy cleaning while enjoying their favorite tunes. :headbang:

NickCimexcutout_zps682ebe18.jpg

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
It bothers me if I can't hear my equipment...I listen constantly to make sure nothing is out of order.

Especially since the flow switch on the diesel burner could get stuck from time to time...and we all know what could happen if the burner is on full blast without water thru the heater...just by listening to it, it saved me many many times over..
On a cimex job I don't mind music...but tell that to the poor maintenance guy that snuck up right behind me in an office building in the middle of the night where nobody was supposed to be there.. I made a turn and he was just a foot behind me trying to touch me to get my attention..

Instinctively I almost reorganized his face with my elbow, not knowing why he was so close and why his arm was extended. He was about a foot and a half shorter than me and almost crapped his pants..

So its good to hear even on a cimex job...

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
Majority of time, I don't listen to anything. Every once in a while, I listen to talk radio or music through one ear piece.

mcatt

Name
Mike
You may actually find that your techs do a better job cause there happy and enjoying the day more.

Jay_wat

Supportive Member
Name
Jay Watson
i use the bluetooth also to listen to my tunes,, keeping one ear out to listen to the machines,,and incase the home owner has a question or such.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
blue tooth...or i have this ear bud set that came with the phone....that way i can talk to....sometimes both ears, sometimes one.....

I listen to the machine pitch to.....but am getting to were you can tell what its doing just watching the rotary working....beats listening to the wuurr urrrrrr wuuur.....of the 360...

now if the custy is at home and i am talking at 1st or at the end...nothing

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
"Chrome, Smoke, & BBQ" (80 ZZ Top songs) to power me through a large commercial bldg. today.

Becker

Name
Becker
Only while working in empties. Or in the home alone.

The Bluetooth would be acceptable, but I just cant stand having the stupid thing hanging on my ear.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You're willing to wear bluetoof and look like a foo but won't wear ear buds?

Donald Donald Donald.....I forgot what I was going to say....but I'm sure it was good! :p

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I lert my Son but he is a helper not a lead tech! His earsbuds were surgically attached or so it seems. Me never to distracting. now talking on my blutooth all day.

Becker

Name
Becker
I do ear buds, I like the apple ones.

I never liked the look of a bluetooth, dislike wearing it as much.

When I do wear the ear buds while on a vacant I drop the wire though my shirt.

Music, books on tape, then when a call does come in I'm hands free.

PCCN

Agree. In commercial where customer is not there, or even if it is a setting where you are not working directly with the employees of the commercial job it is fine. Residential is totally off limits.

James.E

I use these to listen to my ipod. http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight...315&sr=8-3&keywords=ear+protection+headphones I always use ear protection when working so I have ear plugs in or use the noise blocking earmuffs. I never listened to my ipod if my client was home but for the last year I listen on almost every job. If my client needs my attention I need to step away from the wand anyway because the vacuum noise is so loud. I take off my earmuffs or if I am not listening my ear plugs. I really enjoy listening to podcasts and have not had any clients mind. I think it is more of a big deal to us then to them. I know I enjoy my day more when I listen to my ipod.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Makes people wonder if you're schizophrenic. Seriously, you ever notice schizophrenics wear them all the time....it helps them drown out the voices and focus.

Take care,
Lisa

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Not residential or commercial here. I want our guys focused on the work not grooving to tunes.
Steve you can't listen & work? I actually work better with music. I think it drowns out those damn voices and allows me to concentrate on my work.

Hey anyone listen to "I Set My Friends On Fire"? :winky:

Actually "Things That Rhyme with Orange" is not terrible. :icon_neutral:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom