Is it a Bargain?!- Lets talk price and dilution ratio

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Often on this board some products are touted as cheaper. A great bargain!
Are they really?
Now if one, prefers a specific product due to its performance, that's great. For me that is an educated decision.

It is the 'bargain' claim that makes me wonder.

Let's take PowerMax, RedLine, and Slop & Gobble.
Power Max (Cobb): A 45# pale is $99.99 dilution 1 1/2 cups (12 oz) per 5 Q jug (hydroforce.)
Red Line(MasterBlend): A 42# pale at $156.00 dilution 6 Oz per 5Q jug
Slop & Gobble (Judson): A 45# pound pale $259.00 No dilution ratio on their site but common practice on this board, by users, says 5-10 oz per 5Q jug.

If you calculate these ratios Red Line comes to $1.05 per 5 Q jug, Power max to $1.66 per; and Slop & Gobble (at the lower 5 oz per jug) comes at $1.79 per. So, if I got it right the product that actually does not tout itself as the super bargain (RedLine) in reality is the better deal.

Now, this does not include coverage. I assume that they all have basically the same coverage and that we apply them pretty much the same. Spray on at the same pace, get the carpet slightly damp not overly wet, brush, wait a little and clean.

Same company 'Master Blend.' $ 143.00 for 42# of "Soap Free" at 3 cups for five gallon
Procyon which is perceived to be 'expensive' is $189.00 per 50 # box. However you mix only two cups per 5 gallon jug. If you calculate it, Procyon that comes at $1.89 per 5 gallon jug is a much better deal compared to 'SoapFree' at $2.50 per 5 gal jug.

Again, none of the price differences is that big of a deal. And if you prefer (due to performance, scent, you name it) one product to another, that's great.

My question is: Are those touted bargains really a bargain?

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Ofer Kolton said:
Are they really?
Now if one, prefers a specific product due to its performance, that's great. For me that is an educated decision.

Let's take PowerMax, RedLine, and Slop & Gobble.
Power Max (Cobb): A 45# pale is $99.99 dilution 1 1/2 cups (12 oz) per 5 Q jug (hydroforce.)
Red Line(MasterBlend): A 42# pale at $156.00 dilution 6 Oz per 5Q jug
Slop & Gobble (Judson): A 45# pound pale $259.00 No dilution ratio on their site but common practice on this board, by users, says 5-10 oz per 5Q jug.

If you calculate these ratios Red Line comes to $1.05 per 5 Q jug, Power max to $1.66 per; and Slop & Gobble (at the lower 5 oz per jug) comes at $1.79 per. So, if I got it right the product that actually does not tout itself as the super bargain (RedLine) in reality is the better deal.

Now, this does not include coverage. I assume that they all have basically the same coverage and that we apply them pretty much the same. Spray on at the same pace, get the carpet slightly damp not overly wet, brush, wait a little and clean.

Same company 'Master Blend.' $ 143.00 for 42# of "Soap Free" at 3 cups for five gallon
Procyon which is perceived to be 'expensive' is $189.00 per 50 # box. However you mix only two cups per 5 gallon jug. If you calculate it, Procyon that comes at $1.89 per 5 gallon jug is a much better deal compared to 'SoapFree' at $2.50 per 5 gal jug.

Again, none of the price differences is that big of a deal. And if you prefer (due to performance, scent, you name it) one product to another, that's great.

Don't know until i tried them.
Price and coverage has nothing to do with being a bargain or not.
The best bargain is the one that consistantly and saftley performs the bests in all situations that it is made for.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
GeneMiller said:
honestly never look at the price just the performance. my time is the most valuable .

gene

I agree, I spend way more in labor and fuel costs to worry about the small amount I pay in chemical costs. Performance for me is the #1 factor in deciding which product to buy.

Name
Bruce
I picked up a 45# pail of slop and gobble 10/25/11. Started keeping track of all jobs I used slop and gobble on - 11/1/11 and as of this morning 4/27/12 slop and gobble has brought in $19,645 and the bucket's not even half gone yet. Is that a savings? When my bucket of slop is gone I'll let you know the total count.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Wow, this must feel like kicking in an open door. Enjoy :p
As you can see from my original post, my issue is with the claims, not with any specific choice of product.
If you made tons of money with a specific product, great!
Maybe you could have made even more with the other.

Ofer Kolton said:
Are they really?

Bruce Humphrey said:
slop and gobble has brought in $19,645 and the bucket's not even half gone yet. Is that a savings? When my bucket of slop is gone I'll let you know the total count.

P.S. I hate to break the news to you Bruce: "Your product of choice" did not make you the $$$$$
Your hard work, elbow grease, marketing, time spent on the job, time spent to get the jobs, keeping your office and database working, your van, your truck mount, gas and many other non tangibles ,made you the $$$$$
The pre-spray was but a tiniest part of it.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Of course it all assumes that the dilutions recommended by the manufacturers are accurate. For example I only mix 6-8 ozs of powermax per 5 quart jug. Another popular board product I had to mix almost double the recommended dilution to get good results.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Name
Bruce
Ofer Kolton said:
Wow, this must feel like kicking in an open door. Enjoy :p
As you can see from my original post, my issue is with the claims, not with any specific choice of product.
If you made tons of money with a specific product, great!
Maybe you could have made even more with the other.

[quote="Ofer Kolton":sxxm7u0k]Often on this board some products are touted as cheaper. A great bargain!
Are they really?

Bruce Humphrey said:
slop and gobble has brought in $19,645 and the bucket's not even half gone yet. Is that a savings? When my bucket of slop is gone I'll let you know the total count.

P.S. I hate to break the news to you Bruce: "Your product of choice" did not make you the $$$$$
Your hard work, elbow grease, marketing, time spent on the job, time spent to get the jobs, keeping your office and database working, your van, your truck mount, gas and many other non tangibles ,made you the $$$$$
The pre-spray was but a tiniest part of it.
[/quote:sxxm7u0k]Please don't take it the wrong way, I'm not kicking in any opened doors and the only reason I gave the name of my pre spray of choice is because if I didn't someone would have asked and it was one of the 3 you had listed.

I was only showing what is a bargain to me.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

To be honest, i really wouldn't know if any are bargains or not.
performance is what I care about

if a product is 9.28% better, it's worth twi$e as much to "me", given that juice costs pr job are rather small comparatively .

Marketing the cost of RTU product is normal procedure though.
It sparks the "bean counter" reaction in all of us.
However, to really give it much consideration in the buying decision , is to be penny wise and pound foolish

..L.T.A.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Cleaners on average get an F in basic Math.

Just take a look at the pricing page on their websites, local Groupon deals or ask the sharks over at interlink financial.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
ACE said:
Cleaners on average get an F in basic Math.

Just take a look at the pricing page on their websites, local Groupon deals or ask the sharks over at interlink financial.

:p

Funny and sadly, very true.

Dick Jones

To make the challenge easy for everyone:

1- Start with a gallon jug containing one gallon of water.

2- Add 17 cents worth of Slop & Gobble.

3- Pre spray with it.

4- Do the same with any other brand.

5- Compare the performance.

For an accurate Hydro Force comparison you must use the exact same spray equipment for testing.

To meet the Judson Challenge, put 2 & 1/2 ounces in to a 5 quart jug, and use a 4 to 1 Hydro Force sprayer. Then go clean a Chiness resturant, like Terry did. Do the same with any brand you want to compare

dday

Dick Jones said:
...Slop & Gobble...To meet the Judson Challenge, put 2 & 1/2 ounces in to a 5 quart jug, and use a 4 to 1 Hydro Force sprayer. Then go clean a Chiness resturant, like Terry did. Do the same with any brand you want to compare

And his RX-20 and plenty of heat had absolutely nothing to do with his results, right?

I'm just saying ... Terry is an experienced guy who knows his stuff and has good equipment ... he would have gotten those results with Powermax, Redline, Slop & Gobble, Grease Eraser, Enz-all, Ultrapac, or whatever he had on the truck that day. And the difference in cost would have been nominal at best.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
uhhhh no.....

there have been times i have had to switch mid job...ran out on truck :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

and i could tell a huge difference between sprays....

this was a while ago and wasnt judsons.....it was some samples i got....

but there WAS a huge difference

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I use only 1 cup soap free (or less) per 7 gallon rinse solution if I use it

Doesn't soap free have corrosion inhibators where procyon doesn't?

Dick Jones

dday said:
Dick Jones said:
...Slop & Gobble...To meet the Judson Challenge, put 2 & 1/2 ounces in to a 5 quart jug, and use a 4 to 1 Hydro Force sprayer. Then go clean a Chiness resturant, like Terry did. Do the same with any brand you want to compare

And his RX-20 and plenty of heat had absolutely nothing to do with his results, right?

I'm just saying ... Terry is an experienced guy who knows his stuff and has good equipment ... he would have gotten those results with Powermax, Redline, Slop & Gobble, Grease Eraser, Enz-all, Ultrapac, or whatever he had on the truck that day. And the difference in cost would have been nominal at best.

You are right David, it had nothing to do with a equall comparison. Terry's Rx-20 was hooked to an electric truckmount with two portable blowers.

I am saying that a manufactor saying to add X amount to a 5 quart jug has no meaning unless they state what pressure, what flow, what temperature and what nozzle on the sprayer. You can't compare without that info.

Compare any way you want to. With or without an RX20, with or without a wand, with or without a Hydroforce, with or without a pump up sprayer, etc.

Compare 17 cents worth of Slop & Gobble with 17 cents worth of another brand.

Come on everyone HOW LOW CAN YOU GO.

SOMEONE, ANYONE, PLEASE RESPOND - HOW LOW CAN YOU GO!

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Dick Jones said:
Compare 17 cents worth of Slop & Gobble with 17 cents worth of another brand.

Come on everyone HOW LOW CAN YOU GO.

SOMEONE, ANYONE, PLEASE RESPOND - HOW LOW CAN YOU GO!
Well, to answer your question mathematically Sir, I guess we can start with 16 cents and work our way down :p
How many Oz is 17 cents of Judson S&P?

I agree with Gene, but:

Good = High performance/High price

Better = High performance/Low price

BEST = High Performance/Lowest Price

I guess there are no takers on the challenge vs other brands, so the new challenge is @ 17 cents on a Chinesse resturant, how low can you go with S&G on normal soil.

This challenge was not started by Judson. It was started by Larry Cobb challenging us on price.

If S&G works this good at 17 cents, just imagine how well it will work @ 34 cents a gallon.

I've not felt the need to go more than .5 oz per gallon. Kinda scared to try it at 1 oz per gallon, cause I don't want to burn a hole to mid earth. lol

Less, I was wondering as we mix this stuff stronger, does it raise the PH, and as we use less , does it drop the PH?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom