It pays to have a great mechanic.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I've used the same guy for 24 years so I guess he owes me, I had a sudden breakdown this morning. Called him and he said he could look at it after noon. Well, I thought I had the day off and had it towed to his shop. I thought it was the fuel pump, turned out it was the coil (which was replaced last winter). I cleared my day, but ended up doing all but 1 job. I was on the road around 10:15.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I had some electrical problems a couple of weeks ago. Thankfully my brother was in town. He worked on the van while I had to do a couple of places with the stupid portable. Man, I was glad he was here. When he is not here, I can text him pics and he tells me what to do.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Knowing what to do and having someone help you when Your desperate Priceless.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Where should i start with mine.....lets just say its amazing it was going down the road at all....

here we goooo....

check engine light flashes...(never had it happen before, didnt know it could be bad)

Drop it off while I go to scout camp with the boy....plugs and wires...(wires had a few holes)

Still runs like doodoo...for some reason they didnt do the cap and rotor...i dunno....anyway also the coil looked bad..

still flashes runs like crap....had a 2nd opinion done...

replace intake manifold gasket...cyl 2 & 7 where acting goofy...

uhhh no flashy but now light stays on still runs like shit....something about the crank sensor not lined up...

Take it back...do the reset a you tube showed (they said they did but did it again to appease me)...it reads 0...till you get into it a little....then it drops -8 to a -15....

now its in this week we are hoping it is the Timing chain...as when you get on it...and if its slacked then it could throw off the timing......LETS HOPE...

Its like everytime we fix a weakness, it shows the next one....almost like this truck was use to running less then top....yet it showed nothing MPG have been steady... emission testing has been outstanding....it had a slight antifreeze leak..but couldnt find it...

I trade with these guys and they have been good to work with me and my "hey i need it done by this time" and i choose to start paying them a little, as i am sure the bill is getting up there...

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
My mechanic wanted a week and $2K plus to repair a warped head.

Figured I might as well do it myself if I had to wait a week for him. Did both heads last week and saved a few bucks.

Bustin my butt to catch up for patient customers who agreed to postpone. Lost only three jobs.

Last edited:

mcatt

Name
Mike
That is awesome and quite the coincidence as I had a bad coil just a few weeks ago that I thought was the fuel filter. Seemed like van was struggling to get gas. I was wrong and he fixed it for me.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
That is awesome and quite the coincidence as I had a bad coil just a few weeks ago that I thought was the fuel filter. Seemed like van was struggling to get gas. I was wrong and he fixed it for me.

Sounds like a Ford issue. I had a F-150 that would burn up a coil whenever it rained hard.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
wooo hooooo

got it back and it runs like it use to...a champ....

seems it was infact the timing chain......

now in this week its going to get quiet the work out, as i have some jobs alllll over.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom