It's going to be 9 degrees here on monday... At what temp do you stay home?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Just wondering at temps do you start being a little concerned about it being too cold to use the TM?

9 is the high! Ugggg.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Actually this Jan. has been much better/busy than the last few years.

Most years it seems like we fall of a cliff and the phone just stops ringing.

glenboy

Name
GLEN
my phone has been ringing in jan too,feel very lucky.even got some nice flood calls.as long as i can hook up to warm water i am cleaning

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
move ins and move outs,water/pet emergencies....who else has their carpet cleaned in that type of weather?

people that don't live in the south and left coast TwinkieLand , Cupcake

Coop, we we're out in single digits a couple weeks ago.
it was 7 or 9 degrees when the van left

when it gets 5 below , I start thinking about rescheduling .
It depends on the job's set up more than anything .
we've worked in as low as -12
I reschedule more jobs due to bad snow storms than cold

Start your TM in the morning.
cover or partially cover the vac port enough to put a load on the blower (appx 11-12Hg or so)
BTW, a lid off a powder jar works great..

let it run like that for 10-15 minutes .
Your van interior and all gear in it will be warmed up.
Wand, sprayers, vac hose are set up first .
Then fresh water line (if used) let it trickle as you hustle in the solution line .
Put a naked QD on the sol line and stick the end in the vac hose
get both sol line and fresh line plugged in quick and turn on the pump

On long set up jobs (long runs outside in the cold) we'll pull the whole sol reel off and walk to the farthest point and roll out to the truck

after the first job of the day, everything is hot..and hopefully the morning's temps have warmed up to at least hi-teens

..l.T.A.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
40s here. So, no coat needed. People must think it's spring since it is so warm. I''ve cleaned 4 car interiors the last 2 days. 9 for high isn't that bad. The worse thing that can happen in cold weather is that with a long hose run the water can make "snow" in the vac hose.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
we started out at 1 degree today. I get everything in the house. Take solution line to furthest point in house and unroll to front door. Get everything ready and run the solution line to the van. Hustle back in and get spraying. Don't stop for very long or that hose will freeze.
I used to try to reschedule if it was below 10. this month has been mostly below that. Had to suck it up and just work. It has been a busy month.

Dave Rampage

Hi Jerry,

There is no temperature that will stop me. Just remember to set up the van hose first. Run the pressure hose last. Once you start cleaning on the first job you will be fine.

Dave

Reactions: Ken Snow

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Just keep the water moving. Dont like to clean Upholstery when it gets that cold. My record was -20 Below. Most of the Minnesota Hacks that hang here clean when its below-30 Degrees. Not a big deal.

Golden Boy

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It's going to be 61 here today.....but down to 11 tomorrow night. :eekk:

We clean in the single digits, pre warm the unit, don't lay down the solution line until you're setup and ready to go. You only have problems when the water stops flowing. Never pull your QD's through snow.

Reactions: GCCLee
Name
Bruce
It really depends on the wind chill for me, you can clean in -20 with no wind chill. If it's 5+ out with a wind chill bringing the temp down to -10 then I wouldn't even get the truck out.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
move ins and move outs,water/pet emergencies....who else has their carpet cleaned in that type of weather?

Same here......moveins/outs, WD calls, desperate housewives, although Mikey never has to deal with 0*. It's all in the setup. If it's just ass-nasty out, and dangerous to drive, I just call it another day. I'll bet you Californians don't carry a snowshovel in your van.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
Bunch of Pussies LOL.

Yup - X2

Just keep the truck warm and the solution line flowing whilst you have it out. We are like the post office (without the benefits) Through rain and sleet and snow and so on...

I once had a customer that was a no call, no show. I called her home and cell on my way and no answer. I get to the door no answer. I call again. No answer. I get the call 2 hours later, "I thought you would not come because it was snowing..."

Sure, working in the snow and cold is a PIA but it shall not stop me! Carry a shovel and keep moving forward. Seems as if the masses of sheepeople think we have to shut down our business for a bit of uncomfortable weather. CALL ME, DANGIT!

In an effort to promote public awareness that we still need work in the winter, I bought the URL http://www.wintercarpetcleaning.com and redirected it to my main site. I Made a neato little video for winter carpet cleaning:

(CAUTION! shameless self promotion follows) If you take out 28 seconds and watch this clip to the end, maybe hit the like button if you found it non offensive and did not have to divert your eyes. Hell, while you are there maybe even leave a short comment! You will be honored in ways you can not even imagine!

[video=youtube_share;VgSgCzs8cQY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgSgCzs8cQY&feature=share&list=UUuqRE__yedfZ4LEPatUeGgg[/video]

I do not know if they have helped yet, but try I must!

Dare I ask if my effort in producing this little video is worthy of MB tube?

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman
You have to use your head. Around 0 degrees is the limit for upholstery cleaning(slow moving air flow equals 2 inch frozen rock hard hose within 20 minutes). Carpet cleaning with less then 20-40 feet of hose out side on the ground, there is no limit. Just keep water flowing ever couple of minutes to keep pressure hose warm and happy. Last year at 2 below and a ten mile per hour wind, froze the solution hose in ten minutes. Good thing I carry a extra solution hose, that wasn't froze.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I reschedule more jobs due to bad snow storms than cold

Snow? What's that? We just broke a weather record in Chi. for no snow, like 340+ days without an inch. Three years ago we had a blizzard. wtf?

Have you had any snow yet, Larry?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
(CAUTION! shameless self promotion follows) If you take out 28 seconds and watch this clip to the end, maybe hit the like button if you found it non offensive and did not have to divert your eyes. Hell, while you are there maybe even leave a short comment! You will be honored in ways you can not even imagine!

Lol!

Nice job on the video, Chris. Would have never thought of that!

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Coldest I have ran so far is 23.
We have been fortunate enough to keep her parked in the garage with a half tank of FW at 60, so everything is warm when we open the door.

A-Team

Name
Jamie
We had the opposite problem in Sydney on Friday, it was 115. Kept me nice & warm. Few extra shirts in the van. First 2 beers didnt touch the sides when I got home.

FredC

Village Idiot

I think I speak for all Southerners when I say....FVCK that.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Well apparently the garden/water supply hose is the weak link in my set up.

Finished one room, 100' water supply line froze in maybe 10 minutes. Hose was even hooked up inside house, no help...

So, most of you that don't have issues carry water?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yes you avoid the whole issue by carrying your own water. Even if you only did it in the winter it would be worth the money getting set up for that. Although once you do, you'll never go back to the garden hose, it's just so much easier.

Back
Top Bottom