Job Cancellations :(

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I don't know if it's just 2020, or a combination of things, but the last 3 months have had an unusual high amount of cancellations for me. Thank goodness I've been flooded with calls that fill in those slots rather quickly, but for the most part, I'm fed up with it.

So far the reasons that I can note are
Rona
Real estate closing dates moving
BS people who are fired customers
Unorganized old people that forgot when their dr appointment was
Tenants that aren't paying have stood me up when their landlord schedules the day

Is it just my area or are there several on here who have had similar results lately? And what can I tactfully say when the customer schedules a day over the phone?

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Like Mary said you need an attitude adjustment. I think we all need to look in the mirror now and then.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Like Mary said you need an attitude adjustment. I think we all need to look in the mirror now and then.
Try cancelling a dr appointment last minute and see what they say.

If you think I’m sounding arrogant with an entitlement, you’re wrong. I’m just wondering if this rise in cancellations is happening elsewhere.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Try cancelling a dr appointment last minute and see what they say.

If you think I’m sounding arrogant with an entitlement, you’re wrong. I’m just wondering if this rise in cancellations is happening elsewhere.

In the past- we would have about 30% of our appointments reschedule or cancel between Thanksgiving and Xmas.
2 years ago I just shut down during that time and enjoyed the time off in Thailand.

Now I just have a big to-do list as a backup when jobs cancel; This makes cancellations a welcome benefit.
Ending the working day early increases the time TO ENJOY LIFE and your FAMILY.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I keep getting cancellations because of Covid. 200 cases on Monday. What a mess. This is getting too close for me. My high school kid is on full distance learning, my wife is teaching from the classroom, and my youngest is still in school. I feel like it's just a matter of time before I get it.

Then on top of that, I have customers like the one yesterday on my flood job, "It's only my poop water, it's not like it was the neighbor's"

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I have sure fire solution for you all. Tonight when you go home ask your wife nicely... very nicely, to pull the stick out of yor azz that's making ya'll so grumpy.

You're in the service business, you're expected to be flexible. Projects, events rarely run perfectly or on time. Expect changes and be grateful these people are choosing to spend money with you. They have other options, there are many other cleaners out there.

Treat them like you appreciate them, even when they move appointments. Be gracious, be courteous even when you don't want to be. Your living depends on them.

Last edited:

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I have sure fire solution for you all. Tonight when you go home ask your wife nicely... very nicely, to pull the stick out of yor azz that's making ya'll so grumpy.

You're in the service business, you're expected to be flexible. Projects, events rarely run perfectly or on time. Expect changes and be grateful these people are choosing to spend money with you. They have other options, there are many other cleaners out there.

Treat them like you appreciate them, even when the move appointments. Be gracious, be courteous even when you don't want to be. Your living depends on them.
Its the arrogance of some people that treat us like a commodity. It’s wearing at times. Like the Dr. wife that keeps calling me. I don’t feel like dealing with her anymore. I always helped her out with stains and issues that no one would touch. One day she called and I couldn’t get there the same day, so she called another cleaner. I guess he screwed up her carpet and pulled color. Anyway, my sensitive little feelings were hurt so she can go find someone else.

-Damon in the corner pouting.

Edit: I just called her back and booked her. But no discounts.

Last edited:

AdamDumphy

Name
Adam Dumphy

Treat them like you appreciate them, even when the move appointments. Be gracious, be courteous even when you don't want to be. Your living depends on them.
Well said!

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Someone just mentioned 30%. How much of a loss on profit is that for the multi van setups?

It’s a bigger issue than most of you guys think

How do the big boy businesses handle it?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Someone just mentioned 30%. How much of a loss on profit is that for the multi van setups?

They just schedule more work. When I worked for some of the big guys, we had more work than we could handle. Would get calls from the office asking if we could fit another in. Cancellations were welcomed.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Name
Evets
We have a couple every week, covid or whatever.
Some companies get a $40 non-refundable deposit upfront (on a card) to cover cancelations and no shows.
But that's Atlanta, not Athens.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I had one cancel for tomorrow because her dog is sick. I was able to fill in the time slot with a better money making tile job.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart

it was 30% when I had 3 vans running. I would give my jobs to the guys if theirs canceled, but most of the time they enjoyed getting off early.
there wasn't any lost income because I would clean area rugs in my plant when I was given the opportunity due to the cancelation.

@Matt Wood, Time to find a way of making lemonade when given Lemons.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I’m not worried about this causing any downtime, yet

I’m more concerned about how to handle this when the jobs lost are for a technician in the near future. I like the deposits. I don’t know if $40 is a good number for my area. Maybe $25

Reactions: Walrus Gumboot

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Had another cancellation call at the end of the day yesterday. Guests were arriving early, so we rescheduled it. And another rental cancelled the day before. so far, I'm getting calls every day in the past week and half on cancels. You guys are making it sound normal, but almost every day, there's calls. That's not normal

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom