Kohler 27hp

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Learned a little today about Kohlers and where they really show wear at 1,500+ hours. At 1,800 hours (4 months ago) if was billowing smoke and bogging down under a load. Got so bad I purchased a new one.

Got around to inspecting the old one on my bench. Pulled a head. Flashed some high intensity light on the valves and say light peaking in both ports. Carbon deposits under the valve cover around the exhaust valve stem, a little around the intake valve, pool of oil on top of the cylinder. Pulled the valves and measured stem/guide clearance within tollerence but the valves wern't seating properly.

Cleaned the seats, valves and head free of carbon deposits. Used some prussion blue to see how much seating was taking place. Not bad. Lapped one valve already with reg. and fine grit and now have a perfect blue transfer ring around the seat.

Machine shop wanted $185 per head to cut the seats and grind the valves. They don't even offer lapping and assemble for that.

My investment will be two head gaskets and a intake steam seal. I have a way to test it under load and will report back if she holds under load. All this time I had the feeling the piston and rings were fine. I'm hoping there's 500 more hours (maybe more) left in her. I have a roots 36 I want to build back into a spare machine.

Anyone else out there performed a little valve maintenance and kept going on a similar engine?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
thats why I run propane, don't get the carbon buildup

It was bogging down on me a few times, realized it was the airfilter and plugs

The last time it bogged down, was backfiring, wouldn't run if you gave it fuel but would start and idle only
Turned out to be the ground wire had come loose. Been running great since I had the wiring fixed. Coming up on 1800hrs.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I have a 15 horse kohler on my white magic. just approaching 1500 hours, so far so good. I wonder if it will last longer because its a smaller engine and when it runs its not as hard on all working parts

CleanEvo

I have a 20HP Kohler with about 2500 on it and it runs awesome. It's been well maintained so I'm trying to get another 2500 out of it.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
never had much luck with those type of engines. i run them hard all day on full and it's hot most of the year here. never had one make 2000hrs. changed the oil on schedule with synthetic but they still always died. i'm glad i have the A15 , it's over 9000 hrs and still running strong. the rear seal is leaking pretty good but only a few ozs. per oil change. i hate oil leaks but it's not worth pulling to fix. Monday -Friday the machine makes me a living running hard all day after that I don't want to look at it. I love they way the engine just sips gasoline unlike lawnmower engines.

gene

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
23 horse Kolhler with over 10,000 hours - only replaced one head gasket - it's still going strong
31 horse Agies with 2,000 hours - only internal repair is new lifters on one side.

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
30 hp kohler
replaced 1 starter
and ignition coils and thats been it so far
2200 hours

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
NobleCarpetCleaners said:
My investment will be two head gaskets and a intake steam seal. I have a way to test it under load and will report back if she holds under load. All this time I had the feeling the piston and rings were fine. I'm hoping there's 500 more hours (maybe more) left in her.

So you think the smoke was oil leaking past the intake stem seal? I'm curious, how did you determine the piston/rings were OK?

Name
Lee Stockwell
Will expand on that: It's easy to do a quick compression test as part of your routine each time you examine or replace the spark plug.

You've already done the valves, so I still suggested a compression test to diagnose the rings as well.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
NobleCarpetCleaners said:
With light peeking in both valve seats a compression test wouldn't be effective.

That's why I asked. With the valves as bad as you said, I wasn't aware of a test that would isolate the rings. Once the valves are done, as Lee said a compression test or (better yet) leakdown test will tell the story. As long as I had the motor down that far I personally would do the rings, but that's just me.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I once heard that when considering a 27 hp Kohler instead of a 25 hp Kohler, that after tearing down a new 27 to have a look see, the decision was to stay with the proven 25 hp Kohler in the truck mount. I was not told the why though, so take this for what it is worth. (hearsay)

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
We have used 20 HP, 25 HP, 27 HP and 31 HP (liquid -cooled) in TM's in the past.

We strongly prefer the new Kohler 34 HP Command V-Twin for it's increased durability.

It has a longer service interval . . .
& has been much more reliable in TM applications.

Larry

Name
Lee Stockwell
Larry Cobb said:
We have used 20 HP, 25 HP, 27 HP and 31 HP (liquid -cooled) in TM's in the past.

We strongly prefer the new Kohler 34 HP Command V-Twin for it's increased durability.

Larry
Any units turned over 3000 hours yet?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
How long should a starter last in a 25? Been thinking about installing a new one so I don't get stuck in the middle of a job.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
my white magic 1600...kohler 20 HP ...has over 5300 hours ...only minor replacements like spark plugs, several brass fittings and fuses...guess I'm lucky?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
My starter in my 25h is doing fine yet after 1800hrs. The only issues I had with it were the bolts breaking and it fell off. Set me back a day as I had to have the bolt removed from the hole.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Lee Stockwell said:
[quote="Larry Cobb":25xhep1e]We have used 20 HP, 25 HP, 27 HP and 31 HP (liquid -cooled) in TM's in the past.

Larry
Any units turned over 3000 hours yet?[/quote:25xhep1e]
Not yet Lee, but we are approaching that level.

Fewest TM repairs we had had out to 2500 hours.

Larry

Name
Lee Stockwell
Wasn't aiming that at you exactly.

However I'm amused at new manufacturers, or those using newly introduced components, talking about reliability in comparison to other time-tested units.

Steam Way took a big hit when changing to an "improved blower" on established models, as well as on the introduction of their hx units.

Manufacturers beta units should be brutally thrashed by willing high volume nearby companies to uncover glitches and validate expectations.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I remember Steam Way got some bad blowers from Sutorbilt that caused them grief and dollars. That may have been the reason for a change in blowers. I think they have went with Roots and Tuthill.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I replaced my 25hp Kohler 2 months ago. Had just about 1800hrs on it. It was running funny, wouldn't take fuel, back firing, stalling out, eventually figured it out to be simply a loose ground wire off the propane fuel lock.
Got that fixed and it ran fine, for about 4hrs then it started spouting oil everywhere. The main leak was a fine crack at the top of the block. Stayed with the 25h since it came assembled and ready for propane. They've made some tweaks to the engine which makes it easier to operate. A few quirks but running great. I would say that any more horsepower would be wasted but may take some stress off the engine. I'll see how long this one lasts. I may go to a small diesel if this one doesn't last 2000hrs.

I've given this one more air, installed another cooling fan for when I have to close the box when working down town.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
wow.

I expect ANY Kohler to go at least 4500 hours, I tell folks anything over that is bonus time. Most run over 6k around here. What are you guys doing (or not doing)to your engines?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Man that's pretty good for air cooled John.

But I'll stick with liquid cooled, it's definitely more up front but at least you don't have to deal with wear issues for quite a few hours. They are not bullet proof pretty dog gone close. hey now

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

I was wondering the same thing

4000 on the current 25hp Pro ...changed a valve cover gasket and had to tighten up the exhaust manifold once
12,000 on the reTired 23hp "K" series Kohler (rebuilt at 8000)

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom