Learned A Good Tip For VCT Today

Willy P

Name
Willy P
An old helper came out to give me a hand on a strip and wax. After stripping, neutralizing, rinsing he suggested running a blue pad over the bare floor with a light water rinse after. Crap, did the floor POP when the finish was applied. Learn something new everyday.Also used a microfiber 16 inch swiffer style applicator instead of a silky. Faster, better and WAY less product. I need a nap. I got up at 3 to do this.

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales
I guess that when you strip the floor it opens the pores of the tile and running the blue pad would help close them up sort of like that final screen on a hardwood floor before stain and finish are applied.

Did it really make that much difference?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Ignorance said:
Willy did it make enough difference you're going to make it part of your regular procedure?
Definitely. I cut back one coat of wax and the floor looked awesome. The property manager booked me on the spot for 4 more buildings, as well as monthly sprat n buffs. I love it when people say I shouldn't be getting the $1 a foot. Those in charge see the value, not the price. shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin

I just used a 175 Bobby.

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
RGH269 said:
Ross Buettner said:
I've burnished raw tile after a strip and wax. The first coat is killer.

What pad, propane or electric?

I have an electric 24". It's slower than propane, but with a horsehair pad it's pretty effective. I learned this from Erick Herdt, someone that posts here occasionally.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Thanks for the tip Willy!

We don't do that much VCT but we do have a a bank we do both carpet and VCT at all their facilities. I'll need to get some of the blue in for them to try it.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I guess that when you strip the floor it opens the pores of the tile and running the blue pad would help close them up sort of like that final screen on a hardwood floor before stain and finish are applied.

yup

I've burnished raw tile after a strip and wax. The first coat is killer.

under most circumstances, I do the same thing

Also used a microfiber 16 inch swiffer style applicator instead of a silky. Faster, better and WAY less product.

yup, works great unless the floor has to many peeks and valleys

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I agree with most but have tried the microfiber for laying the finish down and find I am much faster with a 36 mop. Just finished this one a little while ago.

e92be840.jpg

928ee55d.jpg

9dcc39dd.jpg

Chris A

Name
Chris
Ha, goodman, my downstairs furnace is a goodman, pos but came with a 10 year parts and labor warranty, carry on.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Bloody hell Willy, I was doing that forty flamin' years ago, albeit with a slight difference.

(I have posted that same info before).

I always used a red burnishing pad.

The friction of the pad seals the open pores of the vinyl.

This allows for a much better "wet look" appearance.

Another thing, run your first coat of sealer/finish close to the wall, all other coats, stay a mop width away from the wall.

This stops a build up of polish each time the floor is buffed, as the polish will warm and move outwards.

I guess there's no point in mentioning that I also used to put a cup of vinegar in the rinse water to neutralise any detergent left on the floor.??

Kinda glad I don't do that work anymore.

shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom