Legend Brands adds Chemspec to its product portfolio

Mikey P

Administrator

Legend Brands adds Chemspec to its product portfolio

February 4, 2013 – Burlington, Wash. Legend Brands announces a strategic alliance to market the Chemspec line of chemicals as part of its products group.

Chemspec, founded in 1968, is a pioneer in floor care and fabric cleaning chemistry. In the past 45 years, Chemspec has evolved into a prominent position as a preferred product and established an impressive leading market share in the professional cleaning and restoration industry. Chemspec is known worldwide as an innovator of specialty chemical products and a problem solver for soft and hard flooring and fabric cleaning challenges.

Bill Bruders, CEO of Legend Brands, stated, “The ability to offer the Chemspec line serves to strengthen the already solid reputation that Legend Brands has acquired with professional cleaning organizations worldwide, for providing the proper equipment, and restoration and cleaning solutions, to a global market.”

Bruders went on to add that “we are excited about the expanded possibilities for our customers, as we bring the Chemspec product line into the Legend Brands family.”

Legend Brands is the global leader in cleaning, restoration and dehumidification products and processes, and the preeminent provider of water and smoke damage restoration education through its Restoration Sciences Academy.

About Legend Brands

Legend Brands companies, Dri-Eaz Products, ProRestore Products and Sapphire Scientific, produce specialty chemical products and equipment for carpet cleaning, water and fire damage restoration and commercial cleaning professionals. These companies conduct world-class research, provide industry-leading education and develop new products for the restoration and maintenance of healthier indoor environments.

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
When RPM bought Legend Brands last year neither party had any intentions of merging Chemspec, whom they already owned, with Sapphire Scientific.

As they say, things change and here we are...

Chemspec has struggled for years from what I could tell to be lousy marketing and sitting on their laurels..

I'll assume the changes Bill has in mind for the line will help bring awareness to it's strong contenders and with some changes to how the DFC line is marketed, help sales tremendously. Not too mention filling some holes in the SS line up.

I used Pre Kleen for years and always loved it's versatility. I have a sample of it and Enz All (a higher pH Enzyme based grease pit pre spray on the way.

We recently became addicted to DFC 210. It's a highly concentrate powder perfect for "Eco conscience" customers that works GREAT on all fibers, especially wool and natural upholstery fabrics

We'll have an auction or raffle here next week on some Chemspec products.

Lance Golden

Name
Lance Golden
I have always been a fan of ChemSpec Mike... Since the Coit days... (after the coit mix, do you remember that stuff?) I always have the PreKleen on my truck, (you need to try the "heavy duty degreaser") If you like the 210, your gonna love the HD...
I am always willing to try new things, but find myself going back to the tried and true.

For the nasty, I have tried this one, http://www.chemspecworld.com/Product.asp?ictNbr=446
Good stuff!

Mikey P

Administrator
I didn't know or forgot that you were a Coit guy..
How long and where?

Wasn't "Coit Mix" really Formula 90?

I wont use Butyl smelling prespray, so Rocket Fuel is out.

I have always been a fan of ChemSpec Mike... Since the Coit days... (after the coit mix, do you remember that stuff?) I always have the PreKleen on my truck, (you need to try the "heavy duty degreaser") If you like the 210, your gonna love the HD...
I am always willing to try new things, but find myself going back to the tried and true.

For the nasty, I have tried this one, http://www.chemspecworld.com/Product.asp?ictNbr=446
Good stuff!

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
For years I was bugged by the misuse of wording on their defoamer and completely wrong directions on an other chemical..

I called chemspec to change it at least 3 times and pointed out the problem personally at connections to the reps.....

They never changed it...so I figured they don't care about quality on their labels why would they care about the quality of what's in the jar. I stopped using them.

I am curious to see if they will change them now.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Good products, Chemspec was definitely a non responsive company. They seem to have taken pride in non-responsiveness.

Funny though, because about 15- 20 years ago they were the most dominant in the industry.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Very sad to see Noel Frank in the list of people slashed. Truly one of the nicest and most caring people in our industry.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Funny though, because about 15- 20 years ago they were the most dominant in the industry.
Yea lot of competing product lines were built off of the Chemspec line. They did seem old schoool, not sure why but just how I picture them.

Bill I thought you were describing yourself. :winky: That is unfortunate, hopefully someone recognizes his abilites and snatches him up.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Thanks but the only similarity is we are both old. Noel is in his mid 70s but he drove to most of his classes so he could bring his bike and a set of weights. I really feel blessed to have counted him as a friend.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
So what year did Aaron leave for MB?

We distributed the line for over 20 years I still get a lot of thief products but as for its brand it's still one of the shelved products here in a a lot of jansan's

Along with CTI . And has a strong online presence.

My favs are enz all kill odor plus express lane prekleem is good

I think this helps the Ss line when it comes to distribution

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Thanks but the only similarity is we are both old. Noel is in his mid 70s but he drove to most of his classes so he could bring his bike and a set of weights. I really feel blessed to have counted him as a friend.
LOL I didn't mean to call you old.....but...:p

I don't know Noel Frank, but I'll take your word. Unfortunate, at mid 70's sounds like he's done more than his time. He should take it easy and enjoy his time off....drinking a cold one and flipping off those that canned him! ; )

SamIam

Name
sam miller
For years I was bugged by the misuse of wording on their defoamer and completely wrong directions on an other chemical..

I called chemspec to change it at least 3 times and pointed out the problem personally at connections to the reps.....

They never changed it...so I figured they don't care about quality on their labels why would they care about the quality of what's in the jar. I stopped using them.

I am curious to see if they will change them now.

Thier crystal defoamer is still the best just sprinkle it around and go

Bill Bruders

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Bruders
Very sad to see Noel Frank in the list of people slashed. Truly one of the nicest and most caring people in our industry.

Hi Bill
I don't know what list you are referring to but Noel simply transferred over to Sapphire he isn't gone. While there were a few positions eliminated the bulk of the "long term" Chemspec employees remain with the company

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Hi Bill
I don't know what list you are referring to but Noel simply transferred over to Sapphire he isn't gone. While there were a few positions eliminated the bulk of the "long term" Chemspec employees remain with the company

Thanks Bill for correcting me. This is one time I am thrilled to be wrong. Good to hear we still have Noel in the industry.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I think it was the owner of Chemspec I met yeeeears ago here in Victoria. Chemspec was a Canadian brand out of Toronto I thought.
I remember talking to this guy, who I thought was the owner , about TM recovery and he was saying NO TM will recover 95% of the water.

The guy I bought my first TM from used Formula 90 exclusively. Put a cup in the FW tank and just went at it with a RX20, no prevac or prespray. One step cleaning.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I think it was the owner of Chemspec I met yeeeears ago here in Victoria. Chemspec was a Canadian brand out of Toronto I thought.
I remember talking to this guy, who I thought was the owner , about TM recovery and he was saying NO TM will recover 95% of the water.

The guy I bought my first TM from used Formula 90 exclusively. Put a cup in the FW tank and just went at it with a RX20, no prevac or prespray. One step cleaning.

They were based in Baltimore, Maryland forever

Love liquid 90 and They were the first to come out with a great haitian solution HC powder also HD soil lifter was great when it came out, the tri 111 was brutal on backings, but gum and grease easy peasy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

randy

Name
Randy
Chemspec's obituary could have been written the day Aaron was fired. Not hard to see why Chemspec did well for years, look at what he has done with Masterblend in a relatively short period of time. He would have never been ignorant enough and got involved with sleezy Al and private labeling crappy ACE truckmounts . Hopefully the new owner of Chemspec will be smart enough to keep the solid name and not dilute the brand by renaming it . Saffhire chemicals are the worst I have ever tried, even Namco is better. I hope they don't dilute or screw with this fine line. Much better to just dump their current line and sell Chemspec since they actually work. I don't see Interlink stocking both chemical lines.

When you think about it with the Whitemagic direct drive and the Chemspec line, right there you have everything Butler has. Quality truckmount and excellent chemicals.

Sure it's sad to see people lose their jobs but hey that's life. I was just at an bankruptcy auction and there was tons of carpet cleaning equipment. Many people go under this time of year, that's life in a seasonal business. There will be many more disappear as this long running Democratic Party sponsored recession continues. You will also see further consolidation within the industry as the winners snap up the assets of the losers.

I believe you will see a bunch of OP manufacturers disappear. Guys are figuring out that a $600-900 rotary will clean just as well, and decent pads that will work with op are hard to find. I have seen a bunch of used op units for sale and guys are going back to rotaries in mass. When Orbot jacked their price to $4,250 that turned some stomachs, guys are shocked at the $4-5k op units and they won't continue to sell at these prices (basicly double the price of earilier models and 6-7 times the price of a rotary) .Think about it a counter balance makes a $600 rotary worth 4-5 grand ? Cleaners aren't that dumb.

Comparing an op unit to a truckmount, now that is pretty dumb and I don't even run truckmounts anymore.

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
the DFC line which is based on it's green-ness and wholesome-ness will get renamed to something more cuddly.

"Chemspec DFC210" does not make a tree hugger all warm and fuzzy.

instead it will be called the Natural Line and pacakged in green edible containers

more info here

Lance Golden

Name
Lance Golden
I didn't know or forgot that you were a Coit guy..
How long and where?

Wasn't "Coit Mix" really Formula 90?

I wont use Butyl smelling prespray, so Rocket Fuel is out.
Yeah, I was in El Cajon from '84 to '87 spent a little time in LA. Long story there.

The chemspec 90 at Coit came from the merge of Electrolux. As memory serves me... It was all a blur... LOL

The "coit mix" came the chemist coit had on staff, named Brooklyn Harris. I made it in San diego for them,by the 55 gallon drums,and distributed to the sw region Coit's.

Back
Top Bottom