life certainly presents its challenges..

Mikey P

Administrator
Well my wear a cast for a month experiment was all for naught.

Ill be under going surgery to remove a tiny damaged bone f and to repair some tendon damage.

Six weeks of a non weight bearing cast, followed by PT.

In the mean time we hired a new guy yesterday. This will be my first time that I won't be able to train an employee on the truck.

I'd like to hear some ideas for how I can get my two cents in from the office..

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Have regular "debriefings" where the three of you sit down after work. Your regular guy talks about what he observes, making sure to emphasize positive things he sees the new guy doing as well as areas for improvement. You have the opportunity to reinforce the good habits as well as provide input on improvements as well as the next training objectives.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
This won't help the new tech much but since you have the time why not write a step by step company manual you can use for training new tech's the "Connasur way". Everything from how you dress, what you say and don't say, when to use the rest room, lunch, hours worked. How to start the unit, setup the hose, clean the carpet, measure rooms, mix chems, etc.

While it maybe not seem that valuable this is a tool that even Davis will use when he trains in future years. You have the time, don't wear yourself out on it but a do a couple of pages when ever you have a few minutes. I think you'll find it will absorb you and I think you'll have something great to show for it when you are done.

It can be as technical or as simple as you want. I always start out simple but add to it later. As you build it you can grab the new guy and go over it with him and if you want test him over some of the more important points.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
This won't help the new tech much but since you have the time why not write a step by step company manual you can use for training new tech's the "Connasur way". Everything from how you dress, what you say and don't say, when to use the rest room, lunch, hours worked. How to start the unit, setup the hose, clean the carpet, measure rooms, mix chems, etc.

While it maybe not seem that valuable this is a tool that even Davis will use when he trains in future years. You have the time, don't wear yourself out on it but a do a couple of pages when ever you have a few minutes. I think you'll find it will absorb you and I think you'll have something great to show for it when you are done.

It can be as technical or as simple as you want. I always start out simple but add to it later. As you build it you can grab the new guy and go over it with him and if you want test him over some of the more important points.

Excellent advice. If you weren't restricted you'd probably never attempt this.

This will help you assist Davis in ways you can't even see yet.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I was think more procedure training for the new tech. However agree Al, a company manual if he doesn't already have one would be a great way to spend that time too.

Reactions: Askal

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I'd like to hear some ideas for how I can get my two cents in from the office..

I'd have one of the guys set up the tm(or even a porty) at the shop/home(after a few weeks) and go over everything you want w/new guy. Bring out a chair, rug, whatever - this way will you will be able to show/talk him through how detailed you expect his work to be. Heck, just showing him how the tm works would be helpful. Sit on your office chair and wheel around. Still got your CCT(carpet cleaning tech) book? Wife had to do the same thing after ankle injury.

I'd be spending most of my time trying to make it as easy as I could for the guy doing the training/working w/him. The more detailed he can make him now is only going to help later.

Reactions: Mikey P

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Our procedure manual is pretty brief. Basically "this is what every carpet cleaning customer is entitled to". We use an edited version of Steve Toburens 10 day training program. A sharp mature tech with common sense is good to go for doing empty houses after that. They call for spotting advice and all jobs are checked for a period of time. Then random checks. If a surprise visit is made with work in progress and 7 basic points are made then they get 10 bucks.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Mikey P

Administrator

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Some cliff notes would be a good idea. Especially some *** of common no/no's to look out for.

Just communicate throughout the day and ask questions.
Give some good notes on the job tickets, short tho and to the point.

No lisa memoir's ...

Willy P

Name
Willy P
First time it was a crushed foot and a torn knee, then hernia surgery, then the torn bicep. The first one was a real tuffy, the second quite smooth, the last one was 9 months off and things went pretty smooth. It'll get easier and properly supervised and monitored, the new hire will probably work out. Don't be afraid to fire if it gets dumb. It took a while, but it doesn't bother me to fire and check the resume stack. It's in your best interests. I still have a cheque that Gary Heacock sent to me because I was a little worried. Him and his son Allen even offered to come up here and help. It still warms my heart.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Go Pro or other type of camera.

Have the new guy strap it on and then you can watch everything he's doing and provide feedback, pointers at the end of the day when you debrief. Probably not realistic, especially if in customer's house, you'd need permission, but it is a thought.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Lockhart tells me he has his technicians do a preliminary walk through on a water loss with Facetime on his Iphone. It would work with privacy being the only issue in respect to carpet cleaning.

Mikey P

Administrator

When ever we got a new school bus driver in grade school it was my job to break him in.

On the first day of one particular hard ass, he stopped me from exiting the bus and demanded to know my name so we could have a meeting with the school principle.

Later in the day when my buds and I heard over the intercom "Steve, Steve Austin, would you please come to the principle's office right away", I was king ding dong..

Last edited:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
When ever we got a new school bus driver in grade school it was my job to break him in.

On the first day of one particular hard ass, he stopped me from exiting the bus and demanded to know my name so we could have a meeting with the school principle.

Later in the day when my buds and I heard over the intercom "Steve, Steve Austin, would you please come to the principle's office right away", I was king ding dong..

Hilarious...

Sometimes i think we must be related somehow .

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper

I used to slither under the bus seats and tie peoples shoe laces together. Wouldn't work all the time, but every once in a while... Jack pot!

Now the wife drives a school bus(part time).....!

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
If I may make some suggestions mr playa lot

Dexter I think 8 seasons
Breaking bad is really good
Justified is good

What happened anyway did u fall down on your motorcycle?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom