Money to be made in natural...

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
A customer found us that has chemical sensitivity. She asked if we could clean her carpets and upholstery using 100% natural chemistry. Then she proceeded to tell me that she has wall to wall wool carpeting with organic padding underneath. I said sure no problem, you found the right people.

It was a $600 job we priced well. I informed her up front we'd have limited capabilities with spot and stain removal using natural methods but we'll give it our best shot. She was happy with it all. Turned out great too.

I don't advertise natural cleaning because we don't solely use natural cleaners, actually we use them very little compared to more effective stuff we have. I've also found that some people are triggered by the idea of natural and organic stuff. So we elude to it with the wording on our website and other platforms, our logo points to it too. People who want it find us. How do you guys handle these kind of requests when you get them? Tell em to piss off, lie to them and use synthetic chemicals, or go for it like we do with truly natural cleaning agents like Carpet Details with peroxide as a spotter?View attachment 127803

they live

Name
Steve
I reassure them that I have health issues also and let them see the products I'm using to see if it causes them issues.

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
I reassure them that I have health issues also and let them see the products I'm using to see if it causes them issues.
As I mentioned in the post they specifically asked for something with zero synthetic chemicals. We're the professional cleaners, the customer isn't going to know what they are looking at if you show them products. We do. If they specifically ask for something with zero synthetic chemicals would you honor their request, or pass them along?

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
I don't use chemicals I use detergents. Never tell them you use chemicals. Besides water is a chemical.
I said synthetic chemicals, and the customer made that abundantly clear as I indicated in my post.

This is really sad to see. I made it very clear in my post and seeing this as a response the truth has become pretty evident unfortunately. Customers who make these kinds of requests are not being honored but rather deceived by many cleaners. Yikes...

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
I'm well aware of not using the terms chemical or acid in any regular operations around customers. My post was very specific about a person requesting 100% natural cleaning agents for their own personal health reasons. Your response indicates an unwillingness to honor those requests coupled with deceptiveness. You're welcome to think they are a fruitcake, but what none of us are welcome to do is deceive people. When people request 100% natural we can either meet those needs with limited results, or pass them along. We don't have the right to play with them.

they live

Name
Steve
What products use synthetic chemicals?
Like I said. I show them what I'm using and let them decide. Never had an issue that way. No need to scare them.

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
What products use synthetic chemicals?
Every single one of them that doesn't clearly indicate it doesn't. You know that. Synthetic preservatives and synthetic surfactants are a baseline in any cleaning detergent that doesn't indicate otherwise. Not to mention plenty more in pretty much all spotters, rinses, and boosters. As I said in my post, for the 3rd time now, the customer clearly indicated they wanted the use of 100% natural cleaning products in their home.
Like I said. I show them what I'm using and let them decide. Never had an issue that way. No need to scare them.
If they ask for 100% natural, and you use clever words to deceive them as you demonstrated above, then show them products that they have no responsibility or means of understanding to avoid "issues" or "scare" them then that is straight up deception and manipulation. The customer requested 100% natural very clearly, we all know exactly what that means, and we all know for damn sure whether it actually is or is not in the various cleaning products we have at our disposal. This is incredible. And unfortunately it is indicative of the industry at large. I was in the midst of a group of professional cleaners recently and asked this question citing the same example of the job I posted above, my questions was answered with a room of utter silence. I get it now, holy shyt.

they live

Name
Steve
I don't lie to them or decieve them. I show them what I use. I am chemically sensitive. My products don't bother me. They are free to call someone else. Their concerns are usually from being deceived to begin with and you are confirming that misinformation.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
As I mentioned in the post they specifically asked for something with zero synthetic chemicals.

I wouldn't overthink it

I'd find out what they use for laundry detergent.
Prob'ly use that as pre-spray and follow with clear water rinse/extract

matter of fact, I did just that for a regular "special needs" allergy custy we had.

..L.T.A.

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
I don't lie to them or decieve them. I show them what I use. I am chemically sensitive. My products don't bother me. They are free to call someone else.
They are free and even entitled to be told the truth when speaking to a "service" provider.
I don't use chemicals I use detergents. Never tell them you use chemicals. Besides water is a chemical.
This is a clear demonstration of lying in the face of a clear question. Unless you're using detergents that are labeled as being 100% natural (100% free of any synthetic chemicals), then this is simply deception. "I don't use chemicals I use detergents" is incorrect unless the condition I mentioned above is met. "I use detergents with a variety of synthetic chemicals added to them" is accurate. Unless of course you are using a detergent that is labeled and known to be 100% natural, but you would of said that by now. And the "no need to scare them" only validates it.

How you feel about your own chemical sensitivities and chosen products has no bearing on meeting the specific request of a customer. In this case it is either 100% natural or it isn't. Everything else is deception and/or manipulation.

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
I wouldn't overthink it

I'd find out what they use for laundry detergent.
Prob'ly use that as pre-spray and follow with clear water rinse/extract

matter of fact, I did just that for a regular "special needs" allergy custy we had.

..L.T.A.
Now this is honorable behavior as a service provider. What a genius way to meet their stated need even if one doesn't carry adequate chemistry in their van. Thank you Larry.

This isn't overthinking. I'm mapping out ethical behavior as a service provider. And recognizing a lack of it in others.

they live

Name
Steve
I'm not lying to them and telling them my products won't cause them issues. But you are.
Wait till you get one that complains after using it lol. The air from your portable is more dangerous.

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
Where am I being deceptive? Lol
They specifically asked for 100% natural, and you tell me "never tell them you use chemicals".

This post has nothing to do with how we speak in regular customer scenarios. This post was 100% about a specific request of using 100% natural cleaning products.

I suppose it burns to be called a liar. But everything you've demonstrated in response to this post about a customer request is that of liar. And now you're talking about portable fumes. You're simply a liar.

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
I'm not lying to them and telling them my products won't cause them issues. But you are.
Wait till you get one that complains after using it lol. The air from your portable is more dangerous.
This has nothing to do with telling them that your products won't cause them issues either. That's misdirection. Its about responding honestly to a specific customer request to use 100% natural cleaning products. That's it. Always has been. You'd rather lie to them, got it.

I never said once, eluded to, or left room for thought that I made any assurances that the product won't harm them. But I did tell them it is 100% natural which is what they specifically asked for, and I told the truth.

Reactions: Sierra Clean Care

they live

Name
Steve
This has nothing to do with telling them that your products won't cause them issues either. That's misdirection. Its about responding honestly to a specific customer request to use 100% natural cleaning products. That's it. Always has been. You'd rather lie to them, got it.

I never said once, eluded to, or left room for thought that I made any assurances that the product won't harm them. But I did tell them it is 100% natural which is what they specifically asked for, and I told the truth.
That's not what I said. I never said it won't but you did. I let them know exactly what I'm uusing.i show it to them and let them decide. I'm not going to use their laundry detergent.
SMH
It's foamy and will cause overheating. Get it clean and dry as fast as possible and leave as little behind as possible.
I've been through it enough to know.

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
This is shameful. You are a word twisting liar, I literally never said anything about whether or not it would or wouldn't cause harm. You just randomly injected it in this ongoing conversation. The post is simple, the customer request is clear and simple. This is simply lying.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I'm not going to use their laundry detergent.
SMH
It's foamy and will cause overheating.

You don't have defoamer on the truck?
(and there was no foam with her stuff)
and what "overheating? :headscratch:

in "general" there are two types of "special needs" custys
Those with genuine allergies to all kinds of stuff (like we had)
and over anal whacko zealots (that I'd avoid like the plague cause they're just plain nutz)

either way, by using what they know and use, you avoid potential hazards for them and you
Be they real, like the profoundly allergic to everydamthing woman we did
Or a psychotic whacko reaction from the zealot (and why I suggest to avoid them)
cause they're just fooking nuts in general

..L.T.A.

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
Seems like he just makes stuff up to do whatever he pleases on special needs jobs and then makes more stuff up to condemn other cleaners for giving a damn.

they live

Name
Steve

in "general" there are two types of "special needs" custys
Those with genuine allergies to all kinds of stuff (like we had)
and over anal whacko zealots (that I'd avoid like the plague cause they're just plain nutz)

either way, by using what they know and use, you avoid potential hazards for them and you
Be they real, like the profoundly allergic to everydamthing woman we did
Or a psychotic whacko reaction from the zealot (and why I suggest to avoid them)
cause they're just fooking nuts in general

..L.T.A.
Over wetting.
That's why I talk to them. You have to know their concerns and why.
I can't imagine someone that concerned woukd accept the air from a portable being blown around in the house. The crap in the carpet is more dangerous than most products. The biggest concern is usually the kids crawling on the carpet and getting a rash. Peroxide in that situation is a big nono. You have to know why they feel the way the do not just accept their request.

FredC

Village Idiot
Steve is only saying that there is no need to create unnecessary anxiety by referring to your chemistry with words that may have a negative connotation like "chemicals". This would apply even when using carpet details and peroxide.

It isn't tricking anyone. If they ask or have sensitivities he shows them what he is using and let's them decide...

Reactions: they live

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
Steve is only saying that there is no need to create unnecessary anxiety by referring to your chemistry with words that may have a negative connotation like "chemicals". This would apply even when using carpet details and peroxide.
Customer makes a clear request, zero synthetic chemicals. What the op is about.
A customer found us that has chemical sensitivity. She asked if we could clean her carpets and upholstery using 100% natural chemistry.
Reaffirmed by my question in the op.
How do you guys handle these kind of requests when you get them? Tell em to piss off, lie to them and use synthetic chemicals, or go for it like we do with truly natural cleaning agents like Carpet Details with peroxide as a spotter?
A professional cleaner then lies.
I don't use chemicals I use detergents. Never tell them you use chemicals.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom