My good friend is an insurance adjuster who wants to be self-employed...

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.
And I feel some feedback from this group would help him answer his question and possibly set up a good relationship that would save a lot of you time and money. So here it is:

I found out from someone down in Atlanta at experience that he hires someone to do all his Xactimate invoices for him. He pays him a small percentage just by sending him pics, measurements, size of job, etc. And he gets an Xactimate format to send to the adjuster.

So anyway...Coincidently, my friend wants to retire from his adjuster job that he's been with for several years, and be an entrepreneur just like us. So I sent him this idea.

So what's your opinion on subcontracting a previous adjuster who has the format of Xactimate, and paying them just 2-4% of the job, and not having to worry about paying Xactimate fees, spending the time preparing an invoice for the adjuster, or wasting time to learn how to use the software?

Who would jump on this? I'm trying to convince him to take off his insurance handcuffs, because it seems to me that adjusters are miserable people

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I can't imagine a worse job. Claims supervisor yelling at you to save money. Homeowners trying to scam you to get more than they deserve and dealing with restoration professionals....that know more than you do. :winky:

Ok restoration pro's that have little in common from systems to billing. The majority would be better at being a butcher than mitigating homes.

But no, not interested. We have staff to process billing.

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.
I can't imagine a worse job. Claims supervisor yelling at you to save money. Homeowners trying to scam you to get more than they deserve and dealing with restoration professionals....that know more than you do. :winky:

Ok restoration pro's that have little in common from systems to billing. The majority would be better at being a butcher than mitigating homes.

But no, not interested. We have staff to process billing.
That's what I'm wondering. How much is your staff costing your business?

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.
Because for me personally, I'm scared of xactimate, which is why I'm not big into water damage jobs yet. I don't have time or money to spend on hiring someone full time to mess with it, nor do I have time to learn the software myself. It seems like it's the only way for guys like me to take it, which I will if he gets in to his own business. I'd rather pay someone a small percentage of a job than to learn something I hate

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The one person 30k

But she process all Fire, Water, Mold billings. Coordinates everything in the file from cradle to grave.

All data, images, paperwork, subs.

This week we processed 40k in WDR and another 15k in mold. She earned her keep this week.

Seriously she does great. She also will play receptionist when multiple lines are ringing.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Because for me personally, I'm scared of xactimate, which is why I'm not big into water damage jobs yet. I don't have time or money to spend on hiring someone full time to mess with it, nor do I have time to learn the software myself. It seems like it's the only way for guys like me to take it, which I will if he gets in to his own business. I'd rather pay someone a small percentage of a job than to learn something I hate
It can be a monster for Fire damage but for Water Damage you build "Macros" which hold the common line items. Then you just plug in the numbers pertinent to that job. It's easy, you're smart I know you can easily handle it.

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.
It can be a monster for Fire damage but for Water Damage you build "Macros" which hold the common line items. Then you just plug in the numbers pertinent to that job. It's easy, you're smart I know you can easily handle it.
I agree, that does sound a lot easier than I thought. I just always thought it would be a huge benefit to have someone with the knowledge of an adjuster behind your back when presenting a price to the insurance company.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

tres davis

Name
tres
I use a xactimate service. It's great for me. Send in a scope and a sketch and I wake up the next day to a well written xactimate estimate for 1%

I love it as it saves me a ton of time. I'm big into paying others for things I don't like doing. It's important for my quality of life. We aren't quite big enough to hire someone that just focuses on that, but I want it done right and not just throw out a sloppy quickbooks invoice

Name
Nate W.
A local company has an ex-insurance adjuster on staff... I think it's smart and playing by the insurance game.... I'd like to have someone on staff also but we are nowhere near that big to add another person... I do have @Desk Jockey on speed dial to handle any xactimate questions............Oh was I not supposed to disclose that? :stir:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
LOL
They called me at 6:30 this AM with a list of stuff they needed. Ladders, a roll of 6-mil trash bags, barrels for dehumidifiers. There were 7 of them, they were at a large commercial water loss. 4 water trucks they worked from 5:00-11:00 AM to get it under control. Great start to the day! :cool:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I have a freind in Powder Springs, GA who took a simialr route. Tried to start his own Xactimate service. Eventually went to work for a company that provides the Xactimate service.

Those that know Xactimate and construction / restoration well can often find line items that a less experienced estimator might leave out. They charge 4% of the bill but often find a few % more to add tot he bill. So, it may not cost the restorer much at all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom