My "New" Judson TNT

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Here's an update on my TNT that I picked up in a consignment shop for $2000 bucks w/ heater. It was sitting there for 5 years and had 4400 hours on it (Craigslist ad said 500 hours).

This is what it looked like when I picked it up:

IMG_1504.jpg

Had never done this work before, I decided to take on the challenge on my own.

Cleaned it up
IMG_1511.jpg

Sanded it down (down to 80, 120, 180, 320, 600, 1000 wet)
IMG_1539.jpg

Primed
IMG_1541.jpg

Painted
IMG_1542.jpg

Installed
IMAG0100.jpg

Installation by Sunbelt in Raleigh - w/ Rokan 300 electric vac reel, Rokan 300 live sol reel, Rokan 400 live sol reel (garden hose) on left rear door, stainless shelving, 100 gallon poly vertical tank, water softener tank, n 3HT w/ new coil.
IMAG0096.jpg

A lot of work has been done to the machine to get it back to running conditions, it's been a work in progress even after the installation @ sunbelt, but I'm glad I'm finally to a point where things are working well. I'm using the 4 to the door 2 inch to the dev large filter than 2 to the VT14 w/ #7.5 flow @ 400psi, getting dry times in the 1-2 hours w/ 1 dry pass, if I do a 3 level home, by the time I get to the basement the bedrooms are fully dried w/out fans, with dripods they're dry b4 I leave the house.

Even though I didn't purchase the machine from Les, he has been a huge help to me. I've always dreamed of owning a Judson when I got into this business 4 years ago, it's been a great journey.

Last edited:

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Hey George!

Sweet!

Elecric hose reel, fresh water tank, on board water softner, live soltution reel, 3ht, and all stainless steel construction.

I like it about 10x better than Martins POS ss570.

What issues have you had with your 570? We have the 370, so far so good.

Name
John LaBarbera
Here's an update on my TNT that I picked up in a consignment shop for $2000 bucks w/ heater. It was sitting there for 5 years and had 4400 hours on it (Craigslist ad said 500 hours).

This is what it looked like when I picked it up:

IMG_1504.jpg

Had never done this work before, I decided to take on the challenge on my own.

Cleaned it up
IMG_1511.jpg

Sanded it down (down to 80, 120, 180, 320, 600, 1000 wet)
IMG_1539.jpg

Primed
IMG_1541.jpg

Painted
IMG_1542.jpg

Installed
IMAG0100.jpg

Installation by Sunbelt in Raleigh - w/ Rokan 300 electric vac reel, Rokan 300 live sol reel, Rokan 400 live sol reel (garden hose) on left rear door, stainless shelving, 100 gallon poly vertical tank, water softener tank, n 3HT w/ new coil.
IMAG0096.jpg

A lot of work has been done to the machine to get it back to running conditions, it's been a work in progress even after the installation @ sunbelt, but I'm glad I'm finally to a point where things are working well. I'm using the 4 to the door 2 inch to the dev large filter than 2 to the VT14 w/ #7.5 flow @ 400psi, getting dry times in the 1-2 hours w/ 1 dry pass, if I do a 3 level home, by the time I get to the basement the bedrooms are fully dried w/out fans, with dripods they're dry b4 I leave the house.

Even though I didn't purchase the machine from Les, he has been a huge help to me. I've always dreamed of owning a Judson when I got into this business 4 years ago, it's been a great journey.

Very nice. You did a beautiful job. That is something to be proud of and it speaks to the built in quality of a Judson. And when it comes to track record. Who has one better than Judson? Les and his family has made a BIG name for themselves in this industry by building high quality innovative equipment for litterly decades. And this was done by them. Not first selling to a group with deep pockets and than trying to become number one by dumping a lot of money trying to get people to beleave they are number one.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
And back to the issue at hand.
That is a beautiful job Tmdry. Looks like a great set up and there must have been great satisfaction in restoring that machine.

P.S. How do we know in this new forum format what is the name of the poster, if they use a screen name?
Am I missing something?

Mikey P

Administrator
P.S. How do we know in this new forum format what is the name of the poster, if they use a screen name?
Am I missing something?

click on the poster's name and his view profile

you guys do know that you wont break anything here by looking/clicking around, right?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thanks Mike, I did. It still does not show real name. It only shows the user name like say Tmdry but not real name.
At least, I could not find it.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Thanks guys.

I'm looking for a custom exhaust shop to have both pipes exhausted thru the floor and also to make that portion more appealing.

Bill Martins

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Looks good Bill, should be a nice unit for you. Run it for several years and
then move it to your back up.

Filled out mine.....since I was forced to! LOL

Reactions: tmdry

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Bill;

That was a very nice restoration job.

How much time did all those sanding steps take ?

Any concern about the bottom of the tank ?

Was that recovery tank regular steel ?

Glad it is performing well for your application.

Larry

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Looks good Bill, should be a nice unit for you. Run it for several years and
then move it to your back up.

Filled out mine.....since I was forced to! LOL

Thanks Richard!

I will deff run it till the one of the 3 parts give out than I'll replace it as they go. Will get another one in a few months if I go the dual TM route.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Yeah, I noticed. Thought it would never let me out till I put "something" in all the blanks!

Good job on the TNT. How does it run/perform?

It now runs very well, I had to do a lot of work to the engine after it was installed, basically a new rectifier (spelling), full tune up, newer carb (plus carb tuned), new battery as the smaller ones weren't enough juice for the transfer pump and electric reel. New custom exhaust on the briggs, and some other things done at my local lawn mower shop and my auto mechanic also readjusted the blower placement since we found out later than the belt was snapping because the blower was not aligned w/ the engine (I didn't do the install), new belts etc.

W/ 4 to the door to the devastator filter I'm getting super quick dry times, been pretty happy w/ it. Eventually I would like to get a 4HT or if I go to a box I might even go back to a diesel heater, w/ the 3HT the heat is not instant like I would get w/ my 360k btu guy, just have to wait a few mins at the wand to get it to 200 degrees.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Bill;

Thanks, it was my first time doing such thing, just took my time, researched it, and gave it a shot.

Too much time, if I had to do it all over again, I would've just used this paint remover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPKGRdeOVwo

Which I would've used if I had known of it before I sanded the machine down, I only sanded the front as the sides and back will not be shown, the front was the most important being at the client's home, etc. I actually have that product in the video but have not used it yet, I'm looking fwd to giving it a try, if it works as good as the video says, I will do other projects w/ it and not have to go thru all that sanding again.

Any concern about the bottom of the tank ?

No

Was that recovery tank regular steel ?

Stainless steel. It looked like it was repainted blue, but prior to that it was an off tone yellow.

Glad it is performing well for your application.

Yes, it's been doing really well.

Larry

Posted video

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Bill;

Larry

I documented each step I took so later I can go back and see what I did as a guide:

Keep in mind this is my first time sanding something like that, no prior experience if it doesn't look eye pleasing on the grits.

80 grit
IMG_1524.jpg

120 grit
IMG_1525.jpg

180 grit
IMG_1526.jpg

320 grit
IMG_1529.jpg

600 grit
IMG_1530.jpg

1000 grit
IMG_1531.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

Later on I used a scotch brite pad (dark grey/black) on panel, but it's tough since I was not sure how to remove the switches and everything else so I just did it around it all. I was planning on painting the panel as well but decided to just leave it like this as I didn't want the paint spray to get on the gauges, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom