Name
Thomas Conway
Last edited:
Reactions: SamIam

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Nice looking setup. It sounds like you're running the blower at 3000, what size is it?

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Looks like 2 45 blowers? was looing for 820 CFM on second video but didnt see that.

Yes twin 45's I don't have tach yet so I don't want to go crazy with rpms, I think max cfms out of this would be in the 700's some where today I will get tach. Wolfgang VW says 3000-3600 rpms on motor is fine but it will use some fuel if I want to run it that hard, He hopes we will have enough torque in the motor to keep it on the idle jet only if we can 1- 1.5 gallons of gas per hour.
Even at dead idle I'm still just under 500 cfm should be fine for single wand.

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Thomas;

Designing TM's is a complicated job.

You need more than ONE belt to run a #4 Blower .

Larry

It is in lets see if it runs mode that is a 4 belt pully coming off the back of my motor, I am really happy about it cause it is not slipping yet and I only have the one belt on each blower, so when I put the other one should give plenty off bite.

Reactions: BradFenstermaker

Bill Morgan

Name
Captain Morgan
When the vac hose opening was being covered it sounded like the motor was starting to bog down a bit. Was that because it was on idle? Not familiar with the VW engine your using and barely got a look at it from the video. How many hp? Rather than twin 45 blowers would it be big enough to spin a single bigger blower like a 56/59 wthout bogging under full load? Kind of like the idea of twin 45 blowers though, it has it's advantages.
Continued success with your science project.
Bill

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Thomas;

Designing TM's is a complicated job.

You need more than ONE belt to run a #4 Blower .

Larry
Larry-

I have been using a single B-58 belt, and over-driving (8" pulley on motor - 7" pulley on the blower) a #45 blower, for over 15 years. The belt also has a Motion Industries tensioner in the belt loop.

A belt will last for over 2 years, cleaning daily.

Dev guy-

You are running those blowers in parallel, so 600-700 CFM would be correct.

Take a reading at the end of 100' of each vac hose in a dual wand setup (2 -100 foot vac hose runs).

You will be amazed!

Report back to us on your findings using a dually setup.

Last edited:

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
How are you governing the engine?

Just what I was thinking. You'll need a governer to keep up your rpm's, unless you don't mind the bogging down. And what kind of VDub engine is it? Air cooled, water cooled? Old "bug" engine? My B-I-Law wanted to do a 1200cc Harley engine on a TM. I wanted to try out a Honda Gold Wing or Valkerie engine, 6 cylinder opposed, to power a TM.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
It is in lets see if it runs mode that is a 4 belt pully coming off the back of my motor, I am really happy about it cause it is not slipping yet and I only have the one belt on each blower, so when I put the other one should give plenty off bite.

Thomas;

A single B belt is good for ~7to 8 HP continuous.

Heat can reduce that capacity.

Two belts will be much better.

Larry

Reactions: TConway

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
How are you governing the engine?
If it lugs and it will we have a really awesome air activated ram it is used in the wine industry here is a pic of it. We are going to plumb it into the intake manifold of the blower, as the vac increases it will pull the arm or ram, I will be letting Tim my fabricator be in charge of this. It will be complex for me as he has tig welder and all in stainless steel. I think these would work on older machines that have bad goveners
2012-10-31_12-13-36_365.jpg

Last edited:

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Just what I was thinking. You'll need a governer to keep up your rpm's, unless you don't mind the bogging down. And what kind of VDub engine is it? Air cooled, water cooled? Old "bug" engine? My B-I-Law wanted to do a 1200cc Harley engine on a TM. I wanted to try out a Honda Gold Wing or Valkerie engine, 6 cylinder opposed, to power a TM.
Yes it is a 1641cc air cooled Vw.

IMG_20130721_182742_966_zpsca0c8e49.jpg

We will make a cover for the electric fan. I am going to put shrouds on it this way it will pull only fresh air into the fan on the vw motor.
IMG_20130531_184500_828_zpsfc7df955.jpg

Reactions: Scott Rogers

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
pretty cool. now your set up to do a test I always wondered about. Try hooking the blowers up in series and see how high of vac you can pull. If I am not mistaken you can increase max hg's when you do that. My dream machine would be 400cfm single wand machine that pulls 22 hg's

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
This is basically what the older pod controlled hydramaster machines do. the second pod is hooked up to the blower to kick up the rpms a little bit when the load increases.

If it lugs and it will we have a really awesome air activated ram it is used in the wine industry here is a pic of it. We are going to plumb it into the intake manifold of the blower, as the vac increases it will pull the arm or ram, I will be letting Tim my fabricator be in charge of this. It will be complex for me as he has tig welder and all in stainless steel. I think these would work on older machines that have bad goveners
2012-10-31_12-13-36_365.jpg

Reactions: TConway

Bill Morgan

Name
Captain Morgan
Where are you going to put the APO? You're donna need a shoe horn.. Looks can be deceiving though. What's the footprint of your design?
How long will it take and uneducated unmechanical dolt like myself to change belts on the blowers and/or pump?
Keep up the good work!
Bill

Bill Morgan

Name
Captain Morgan
Ohhh noo.. Carl opened Pandora's box.. now the fun stuff begins!!
What heat source are you going to use? Heat exchange or fuel burner?

Bill

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
What kind of recovery tank are you using? It will be interesting to see what those numbers are once the tank is on line.

Name
Lee Stockwell
pretty cool. now your set up to do a test I always wondered about. Try hooking the blowers up in series and see how high of vac you can pull. If I am not mistaken you can increase max hg's when you do that. My dream machine would be 400cfm single wand machine that pulls 22 hg's
As with ANY blower in series (lamb or roots), the second one in series would run very hot.

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
I had a little time to work on it some more on Sunday, throttle needs a little more adjustment, but it's coming together purdy good. I was worried I wasn't going to get enough heat to my HX but you can see the collector box is turning blue from the heat from the vw exhaust, my hx will only be about 6" from it. You can see where it is going to get hooked up at from the wet rag hanging out of the port.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgV0ZmkCA6I

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
looks good..
so what heat exchanger are you going with?
looks like a different throttle control than u pictured?
is that 2 exhaust pipes going down, and your just going to use 1 for exchanger?
what heat exchange controls are u going to implement?

best of all....from the video....sounds quiet..

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
looks good..
so what heat exchanger are you going with?
looks like a different throttle control than u pictured?
is that 2 exhaust pipes going down, and your just going to use 1 for exchanger?
what heat exchange controls are u going to implement?

best of all....from the video....sounds quiet..

Yes you are correct,that is my collector box, one exhaust port is going to go to a Hx box that I am going to make it will sit in the open area between the mufflers.
I had to come up with a different throttle pull than the one I pictured I found out was either full on or full off and I wanted one to pull as I needed it as vac load increases. As far as how I am going to control HX this is what I am wanting to use if I can make it work it will be remote controlled from the house. I really want this to work because it would be so cool to be cleaning and if I want MORE or LESS heat or NO heat it will be able to be done without going all the way back out to the van to adjust. You can get a remote key chain like a car alarm.
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/
And you are very correct I am pulling more cfm than my legend and it is very quiet,the noise you can hear is because I haven't clamped all of my exhaust together just yet so you can hear the exhaust leaks from the J tubes of the vw exhaust. I don't want to waste clamps every time I make a adjustments. But it is very quiet considering the power I am getting out of it.
When I do use it I don't think I will really go all out with it, I am currently happy with my vac on my legend. What I want more of is HEAT. My target cfm number for just cleaning on a regular basis is going to be around 350 cfm at the wand and I am above that already with VW TM at just off of idle at 400 cfm. If I give it anymore gas it shots up in the 500 cfm range no problem.
What I have come to realize in my cleaning history is 2.0 hose flows pretty good air as long as you stay in the mid to high 300 cfm when you get above that the 2.0 hose becomes very restrictive and I think you start to loose performance because you start to battle with the hose restriction kinda like 1.5 hose vrs 2.0 hose.
With the tests I have done so far to make this perform at its best would be two 5 foot 2.5 hoses to back of Dev filter then 2.5 to a whip of 25 ft of 2.0 hose and even then when I put that short of 2.0 the machine starts to kick up the rpms because of the load.

Last edited:

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
Why does the cooling fan look to have a cover, or is it spinning? Do you have a name for it yet? The Dual Velocity Water (VW) Devastator.
Looks like a a great project, and a cool machine. Are you using a round waste tank, or two?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom