My vw project

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
The fan was spinning.
The weight I am going to guess 650 800 pounds

Ok got my throttle worked out today. I am really starting to realize why most TM's are in the 330 cfm of less.
This was my set up 2 12 foot 2.5 hoses to back of Devastator no filter just using it for Y. Then out of the front or Job side 25 feet of 2.5 hose at that point took cfm test to see 485 cfm truck mount was at 8 HG's
The minute I hooked ANY amount of 2.0 hose the HG's would climb to 13 HG's and due to the fact that I am running a vacuum governor and have it set to max my TM at 3000 rpms so as the HG's increase so does the throttle just like it is designed to do but it will not drop back down due to the amount of HG's created by the restriction of the 2.0 hose.
I finally got some decrease when I when down to a 12.5 whip of 2.0
I don't think it would be any different on a PC Ev or any TM with 5.9 blower due to the fact there governor works off of load the 2.0 would still create HG's and thus a load and increase the throttle so is the vac relief on them just opening to bypass the restriction of the 2.0 hose or what.
What I can tell you is I have never seen a vac gauge move so fast in my life I mean it is instant from 5 to 13 in less than a blink and it is pegged
What is some of your guys experience on this with bigger TM's is it just that with bigger blowers you just have NO LAG time when you set your wand down its at max vac as soon as the wand stroke starts ?
I can tell you for sure I will have no problem with heat as the exhaust is very very hot compared to my legend with it 20 hp any input would be great.
I just don't see how guys are getting 500+ cfm out of a 2.0 hose from what I saw today it is to restrictive

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
With my legend I have to wait for it to create max vac where as the vwtm the hose is already loaded it this how larger TM's work. As you can see this is puzzling me.
Also with my PC on some carpet it doesn't get as good of lift, I am thinking with the vw it's not going to matter what carpet it will always reach max lift.
Is this the case or am I missing something?

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
If your running straight if the blowers... Then that's why.
Or do you have a vacuum tank ?
Size of tank equals buffer time
Also, I think to a degree, the bowers are also fighting each other for air, so quicker peg.

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
I have it hooked to waste tank, granted it is small, I guess I will go and get the larger one I think 120 gallon. I do understand that as far as size goes.
As far as blowers fighting each other they are they are plumbed to the top of the center of the waste tank lid and within 4" of each other for there intake. My plan is to make a intake filter housing that will hold the two intake filter to protect the blowers that we will bolt or weld to the lid this should make the two work totally together in removing air from tank, the 2 2.5 ports for hoses to front of machine are one on each side of tank that come out to front of TM one on each side as strait as possible.

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Is your fabricator the same one that you have make your filters?

No I wish, I have done everything on my own with my tm. I cleaned my living room with it today and it worked really well, I had to adjust my linkage to my carb it was getting hung up and that is why it wasn't backing off.
All I can say is the wand sucks hella hard and instantly, carpets were dry to touch in 45 with ceiling fan on we timed it. Dry with hyro sensor 2 hrs. I still have to get HX working so keep you posted.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
That is a sick set up and looks like a lot of fun. My good buddy is huge VW van fan. We're both surfers down here in Southern California

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
That is a sick set up and looks like a lot of fun. My good buddy is huge VW van fan. We're both surfers down here in Southern California
Thanks Bill,
Yeah this one is for all the VW fans, I was one of them I have been wanting to do a resto on a bug I would love to have a clean 69 cal bug but just don't have the time. Huge window bus fan also.
We were just down in Huntington, Balboa, Luguna beaches a few weeks ago, took my son to the beach before school started week after surfing contest.
It is coming together pretty good so far if I do another one I will go direct drive 5.9 blower
VW's are a faily cheap HP rated motor. The guy that is giving me a little advice used them in Napa Ca for the wine vineyards as wind machines to keep the frost away, said they are still running today @10 years
Here is a vid of my vac gauge my legend takes a bit to build vac this seems to be very quick

Last edited:
Name
Ralph Pastorelli
Sounds like it boggs down too much when you cuff the hose, you have a relief valve on the blower?

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Well I just did my 10th job with VWTM and it is working pretty dang good so far. We are going to start on the HX next I ordered some ss coil to see if we could coil it okay and damit I should have ordered all of it as it as our test coil came out awesome took about 3 minutes to coil it. It is so tight you can pick it up and it stays wound cant wait. Talked to Ben at Amtex about the type of work I do and flow I use to come up with a total amount of coils to hold 200 220 continuous can't wait

IMG_20131004_194008_338_zps75ae2f94.jpg

My fabricator Tim is in the wine industry and he makes the machines for bag n box wine here is a pic of what he designs from scratch. The machine you see here is about $95,000 project.
IMG_20131004_160124_874_zps438f7f8e.jpg
IMG_20131004_160142_794_zps29ecc021.jpg
He also has contracts in the solar power industry for newer homes being setup with solar power they run 24 hrs a day producing parts for solar. What is really cool is he is excited about making stuff for us in the cc industry to. I came to meet him when my shop was across from him back when I first started with the filters, he came over and asked me how I was molding my parts as he was looking for a way to cast a piece for his wine keg. I gave him a couple gallons to try. His keg is now a patented product and he sells them all over the world.
Tim and his crew turn out some unbelievable pieces of equipment all out of SS

Reactions: kingjoelking

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Looks good
What did SS tube cost you, what psi does it hold?
Are you welding the coil together so it dosnt vibrate holes into itself?

The one jonh, butler uses a apparatus to keep that from happening

I thinks the tube in she'll is more efficient and compact however.

Keep up updated

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Nice job on the coil. I plan to do the same in copper tube, did you have to use a pipe bender, or just roll by hand.
We actually used a piece of pipe but we put pipe on a lathe, attached tube to the pipe and Tim slowly turned the lathe, after a few coils we were both pulling against the lathe Tim guided the coil and pulled while I pulled against it as hard as I could, you want to stretch it as much as possible because it does have some spring back if you don't we got about 1/2" when we took it off the pipe. This one came out very good because you can pull on each end and it will snap back into shape.
Copper will bend a little easier

The SS tubing we used is .20 wall it will hold 1600 + psi and that is plenty for me, If I were to make them to sell I would go with a bit heavier gauge 2000 + psi to be safe
Yes we are going to weld braces to the coil when we finish and space them so the heat can go all around each coil.
Did a little work today on the VWTM
I made my top cover and while I was at it I thought I would take advantage of the extra air my electric fan is producing. It feeds fresh air to the vw fan. So I shaped the top to angle down and amazingly the extra air now blows down over the belts to help keep them a little cooler.
IMG_20131006_164143_750_zpseb642cf2.jpg
Added top hatch access
IMG_20131006_164214_186_zps3c3bc62e.jpg
And fixed my fan so my wife would stop worrying about some kid sticking his winky in the fan. Oh and added a cool blue light for my pump on indicator
IMG_20131006_164016_787_zps90ad4394.jpg

KelvinMann

Name
Kelvin Mann
Well I just did my 10th job with VWTM and it is working pretty dang good so far. We are going to start on the HX next I ordered some ss coil to see if we could coil it okay and damit I should have ordered all of it as it as our test coil came out awesome took about 3 minutes to coil it. It is so tight you can pick it up and it stays wound cant wait. Talked to Ben at Amtex about the type of work I do and flow I use to come up with a total amount of coils to hold 200 220 continuous can't wait

IMG_20131004_194008_338_zps75ae2f94.jpg

My fabricator Tim is in the wine industry and he makes the machines for bag n box wine here is a pic of what he designs from scratch. The machine you see here is about $95,000 project.

He also has contracts in the solar power industry for newer homes being setup with
solar panels they run 24 hrs a day producing parts for solar. What is really cool is he is excited about making stuff for us in the cc industry to. I came to meet him when my shop was across from him back when I first started with the filters, he came over and asked me how I was molding my parts as he was looking for a way to cast a piece for his wine keg. I gave him a couple gallons to try. His keg is now a patented product and he sells them all over the world.
Tim and his crew turn out some unbelievable pieces of equipment all out of SS

Awesome work.. You really have very good machines to work on.. I am trying to set up my first industry so I will surely make use of the information..

Last edited:

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Well I have been working with my VWTM and it has been doing really well but it was way to loud using auto mufflers for the blowers, when you pull the throttle for the big cfm it would get crazy loud. So I was sitting here the other night and my old dirt bike days came back to me, we had silencers on our dirt bikes and when they would get gummed up from the 2 stroke oil we would repack them with new baffle material, got me thinking so we had @ 5 Dev's that we first made and dumped the design sitting up at the shop.
So here is what I did today
Got rid of the over sized car muffler and went with a tractor muffler for the vw, much smaller and flows plenty for the engine
IMG_20140204_102142_591_zpsnj9txwrz.jpg
Next I set up the right blower with a new metal 2.5 90* nice and smooth to the silencer
IMG_20140204_120535_003_zpsulyus03o.jpg
After bolting vw muffler on it is time to get the left blower plumed with a nice metal 2.5 90*
IMG_20140204_123155_992_zpsadrvqa3i.jpg
After I got them hung it is time to see if it made a difference... Holy crap I can't believe how quiet she is now, I can pull the gas and get my 5 2 door Y to whistle from the cfm and walk 25 feet away and you can just barely hear her running
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmJ9cMSrjHo

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Great work......that's some sweet fab.....

are you using any cam ecentrics to make a belt change real easy..lik this

blowernewroots.jpg

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
yeah 3 of them to be exact :smile: O I miss read your post I thought you said offing some mufflers.

Last edited:

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
No I didn't that is awesome, I did make it pretty easy to change and adjust though, 1 bolt tightens one bolt loosens then blowers slide inward to take off belts. I like your idea better though.. if only I woulda..

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
I was really shocked at how quiet it was, the video was the first time a turned it on after doing the work. As you can tell I kept on saying unbelievable cuz I couldn't believe it, funny.. yeah I'm a dork

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
What did you use to pack the silencers?
These blowers are NOT hooked to any engine exhaust so no water vapor from engine warm up so I used fiberglass with ss mesh tube going from back port to front port 3" diam. so no restriction

Last edited:
Reactions: dgardner

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Does water hurt fiberglass? I didn't realize that. Although no engine exhaust, aren't you sucking air out of a big waste tank full of water?

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Still plan on bringing it to M10F Tom?

Mike,
We are planning on coming but my mom just passed away with cancer so I can not say for sure as of yet. It really is a mess right now. My Mom's funeral service is March 1st down in so cal. We are going to down and I have to help my dad get his belongings and then help with the house to get ready to rent.
My Dad is not in the best shape either so we have a lot of work to do.
I went down to see my Mom a few weeks ago and she told me she wanted to come home with us so My wife,son,sister,brother in law, and my dad brought her home to my sisters house where she spent her last days, as sick as my Mom was she made the 13.5 hour drive. It was the LONGEST 13.5 hours I have ever went through.
I wouldn't have done it but I talked to my Mom and she told me lets go, lets go. So after talking with her and telling her how hard it would be on her if she wanted I would take her home....lets go she said.
So it is the last thing I could do for her and we all did it together my Mom was my so amazing and I will never forget the trip with her.
So now we are dealing with all the things we need to get done as my dad is now getting ready to move up here by my sister up in Shingle Town,Ca.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom