My vw project

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
In all honesty I used the twin blowers as I had two extra #4 blowers and was like....why not this will be killer. If I were to do another Vwtm I would look for a 47 or bigger and direct couple it, the optimum rpm range on vw is 27-3200 rpms with its stock cooling fan.
I was contacted by a guy that worked for Pro Line in Sac, years ago, there was a carpet cleaner in the Sac area, that had built a TM using a vw motor that drove a 59 blower...He said it was very impressive had a ton of power, was very quiet he got to see it run, and very reliable from what the guy told him.

Reactions: AshleyMckendree

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
I need to get my camera mount back on my wand, I ripped the carpet out of a closet on that job today LOL. When it happened I was like dam I should have had my camera

Reactions: Cleanworks

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You remind of a local tm builder. His name is Jim Edward Miller. He has been building pto units since the 70's. He built several dual wand units utilizing 2 blowers. He manufactures his own drive shafts, heat exchangers, tanks and so on. He builds them as low tech as possible so they are easy to work on. Like you, a real pioneer in the industry

Reactions: TConway
Name
Lee Stockwell
You remind of a local tm builder. His name is Jim Edward Miller. He has been building pto units since the 70's. He built several dual wand units utilizing 2 blowers. He manufactures his own drive shafts, heat exchangers, tanks and so on. He builds them as low tech as possible so they are easy to work on. Like you, a real pioneer in the industry
Some of the best early machines came out of little shops in Canada in the 70's.

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
I just picked up my new motor today!!! Going to be trying to finish up the VWTM over the winter months....Should have 65 hp with the kit we put it together with.
I have been practicing on my tig welding so I will be able to do my dual blower HX system. End goal 190-195 constant heat ATW. If I can keep it at that I am going to be super happy, no need for all the safety bs that goes along with 200+ water temps from engine exhaust. I can do it but I don't want to.
Guy gave me a couple pointers and glad he did. showed him my current setup and he said this motor should last a very long time.
New everything but case it was line bored for crankshaft, cam shaft better oil journals, assembled..... 640.00 bucks and I gave him a tip.
Do to the idle down when wand is lifted @ 10 seconds, the water will never get to hot at least that is what I'm going for.
Can't wait

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
IMG_20161106_104433708.jpg
The fun begins

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
IMG_20161106_122530989_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
Well I got the old one out, new one in, forgot to take pics, I ran into a little hiccup I want to beef up the rear engine mount so I couldn't go get bolts today. The other way worked but I couldn't service oil pump with out removing the whole mount, so just a quick redesign. The cool thing is my whole front panel comes off with two bolts and two wires + n - to power all my gauges so I should be able to get it back together on a few evenings.

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
What I really want is two blower silencers like what Judson uses they are very compact short and round. It looks as though the blower ex inters into the center of them and exits out side??? I think Mike D used one on his steam punk TM. I could basically screw them right into the exit ports of my two blowers then gut my two Ss silencers and coil them for blower heat.

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
I also think I am going to get rid of all the header system, it is more for a performance car, if I can do this it will get rid of all the hot exhaust tubing that you see in one of the pics, it really creates a lot of heat and that is where the fresh air is coming into the fan, should cool it WAY down. Now that I have my Tig welder it should be a little easier to do

Name
Scott Turknett

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
True, but that's a special circumstance. A YouTube channel I subscribe to, weldingtipsandtricks, has a couple videos on DC with helium, but you wouldn't use that method for anything critical or where appearance was important.

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
What kind of tig welder did you get? I recently got the itch to do it again so I picked up a thermal arc 161
Scott,
I actually bought a Eastwood Tig 200, It is not a huge tig welder, but I love it....I have never had one before, I did a bit of web research and watched a ton of videos amd most were really really happy with it. It can do aluminum also, It just runs on 110 so it is maxes out on 1/4 but I figured if I neded more than that I would just have to have the guys at Torr do it for me.
I have never welded so easily it take a little to get used to but the welds on finer parts is so FLIPPING awesome. For guys looking at there first machine I give it two thumbs up.
Super easy to set up, small, and under a 1000.00 bucks.....I bought this so I could get the wands done just so I could go to Mikeys Fest in Nashville, along with a Smitty Mill and Lathe combo.....two weeks before MF in Nash just to get these wands ready to go I think we spent @ $5500.00 total on tools to allow me to keep my promise to show up for Mikey and his fest....
BEST thing I have done in a long time. I know these are not for the hardcore guys but they helped me get what I needed to get them done...they both do awesome and super happy with both and more than enought to get the little things done I needed to get done.
http://www.eastwood.com/tig200acdc-53012.html
https://detroitmachine.tools/granite-max

Name
Scott Turknett
If you're not using it professionally it is hard to justify the big tools. I have a sweet mig welder because I used to use it professionally but I am just playing with tig for now ( I did it professionally too, but not nearly as much)

Scott,
I actually bought a Eastwood Tig 200, It is not a huge tig welder, but I love it....I have never had one before, I did a bit of web research and watched a ton of videos amd most were really really happy with it. It can do aluminum also, It just runs on 110 so it is maxes out on 1/4 but I figured if I neded more than that I would just have to have the guys at Torr do it for me.
I have never welded so easily it take a little to get used to but the welds on finer parts is so FLIPPING awesome. For guys looking at there first machine I give it two thumbs up.
Super easy to set up, small, and under a 1000.00 bucks.....I bought this so I could get the wands done just so I could go to Mikeys Fest in Nashville, along with a Smitty Mill and Lathe combo.....two weeks before MF in Nash just to get these wands ready to go I think we spent @ $5500.00 total on tools to allow me to keep my promise to show up for Mikey and his fest....
BEST thing I have done in a long time. I know these are not for the hardcore guys but they helped me get what I needed to get them done...they both do awesome and super happy with both and more than enought to get the little things done I needed to get done.
http://www.eastwood.com/tig200acdc-53012.html
https://detroitmachine.tools/granite-max

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom