Need help in removing this pulley

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I'm trying to remove the middle pulley of this planetary machine. It is the one in the middle.

I called the company (onfloor) which basically said to use a gear puller. I've tried to heat with torch and use wd40 before using the gear puller. It's really 3 pulleys seperated by some thick washers. The gear puller has bent the washers but I still need to get this thing out.

Any ideas?....thanks

View attachment 1852View attachment 1853View attachment 1854View attachment 1855

Last edited:

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Have you tried to pull it again AFTER it completely cooled ??

Can you spin that puller with an impact wrench??

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
is that a retaining clip/lock ring of some sort at the base?

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
ok...not sure if it is the issue....and I really can't tell by the part diagram (similar model?) the exact location but there does seem to be a snap ring in that assembly

snap_zps2bb1ffd7.jpg
'

??????????

snap2_zpsa6d4698b.jpg

Last edited:

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Fred, that is basically the machine except it is the 20". It does have the snap ring, I thought the pulley comes out first then remove the snap ring to release the bearings.

I should take the snap ring off first?

Have you tried to pull it again AFTER it completely cooled ??

Can you spin that puller with an impact wrench??

I have tried when it's cooled. Problem is that the teeth on the puller don't grab that well.
I don't have an impact wrench but use a crow bar in between the legs of the puller.

thanks

FredC

Village Idiot
Albert....honestly I have no f'n clue. Just trying to help/provide a different perspective. I noticed the snap ring in the pic and assumed there may be a groove that it sits in on the assembly....but it could also only be held by the shaft screw

I can't see there being any issues with removing the snap ring and trying though. Its the most logical issue......one that could prevent the gear puller from working.........

Last edited:

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Thanks for taking the time Fred. The tech from onfloor didn't mention removing the snap ring prior to removing the pulley but maybe he assumed I had done that already. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

FredC

Village Idiot
if it fooks it up don't blame me :D,,,,I'm just a dumb hillbilly

I just can't see any mechanical issues (rust) overcoming the force exerted by the gear puller....there has to be something else involved...Is the snap ring that "something else"? dunno

Last edited:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
first off........clean the thing up really good so you can see better.......there is a really good chance that there is a roll pin in the there and you are just no seeing it.....

second.......I have the exact same puller........and from what I am seeing it is way to big for that shaft...you may be working one against the other...so you will need to put a long bolt in the shaft to keep the puller away from it so it will slide over it....

third........to much puller and hardly nothing to hold onto......you barely have any grip...........you need one of these.......

images-4_zpscb40347f.jpg

Reactions: GCCLee

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom