Need some damn defoamer

Name
Steve Lawrence
DO NOT put much flammable stuff (wd-40, alcohol, Solvents in general, etc.) in vac hose of a portable machine as the spark from the motor may start a fire. Ha ha.

Reactions: SamIam

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
DO NOT put much flammable stuff (wd-40, alcohol, Solvents in general, etc.) in vac hose of a portable machine as the spark from the motor may start a fire. Ha ha.

It's possible but not huge risk on average porty job (there's wd-40 in waste tank anytime I use my porty) my Dad "lit it up" using trichlorethalene but he was "way more has to be better" type mindset

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Most acidic stuff will cut foam.
I've only heard of defoamer products possibly damaging carpets but never experienced it..
Many defoamers (and fabric softeners) use cationic silicones, which can bond with the factory applied fluorocarbon protectant on the carpet.

Just like spraying your car interior with Armor-All. You may create a sticky residue that attracts dirt and is almost impossible to remove. It's why the silicone protectant scammers of the world have mostly gone away; too many claims.

I'd recommend sucking handfuls of whatever you're using into the vac hose rather than casting or spraying on the carpet.

PS: I have seen carpet damaged by silicone sprays, only because it got dirty so fast (and couldn't be cleaned) that it was easy to point to who did it. In several cases the carpet had to be replaced.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
If you are using a liquid defoamer (professional, fabric softener, etc), and you have a portable, soak a sponge in the defoamer and leave it in your recovery tank. It will continue to kill foam even after you dump the dirty water.

With a truck mount, spray the inside of your vacuum hose where it meets the wand, as far back as your sprayer will go.

That pretty much keeps you out of the resoiling issue being a problem, and you'll use a lot less product.

Too many people spray liquid defoamer right on the carpet, especially if they have a spot that keeps foaming, thinking it will help remove the residue.

All it does is remove the foam, and add ANOTHER residue on top of the one you're trying to get rid of, as said above by Bryan.

I don't have much evidence that the powdered defoamers are an issue on the carpet, but they are messy and time consuming to use.

I just spray the inside of the hose.

Condog

Name
Tony

Many defoamers (and fabric softeners) use cationic silicones, which can bond with the factory applied fluorocarbon protectant on the carpet.

Just like spraying your car interior with Armor-All. You may create a sticky residue that attracts dirt and is almost impossible to remove. It's why the silicone protectant scammers of the world have mostly gone away; too many claims.

I'd recommend sucking handfuls of whatever you're using into the vac hose rather than casting or spraying on the carpet.

PS: I have seen carpet damaged by silicone sprays, only because it got dirty so fast (and couldn't be cleaned) that it was easy to point to who did it. In several cases the carpet had to be replaced.
I came to this because a client was moving his wine collection in a laundry hamper (construction), and the bottom broke out.
15 bottles of wine, wife and house cleaner applied who knows how much soap to kill stain and smell.
Nothing worked, so I get the call.
CFX kept filling with the soap foam.
Mike P. said this would happen, he nailed it.
I had a bar of soap, and salt in CFX and just had to keep stopping.

I wish I had known about the 15 gallon version of the CFX when I made the purchase.
I'll definitely keep a sponge on the trailer, and will have to try an acid too.

Condog

Name
Tony

Any advice for a portable with auto-pump out?
I was water-clawing carpet with 15 bottles of wine spilled into carpet.
Followed by wife then house cleaner working on stain and smell before they called me.

Keep applying defoamer or acidic juice when needed?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Any advice for a portable with auto-pump out?
I was water-clawing carpet with 15 bottles of wine spilled into carpet.
Followed by wife then house cleaner working on stain and smell before they called me.

Keep applying defoamer or acidic juice when needed?
For severe foaming, do what Jim suggested with the sponge but also spray through your vac hose with a liquid defoamer. You may have to do it often with something as severe as that. I've done similar when a customer dropped a bottle of laundry detergent. Get some in your waste tank before you start and keep spraying through vac hose periodically. A spray works better than a squeeze bottle. Do not put the defoamer on the carpet.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
This products works well. Pay attention to the instructions.

PXL_20220916_182112380.jpg PXL_20220916_182127539.jpg

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom