New Machine I bought/with pics

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Re: New Machine I bought

you're going to have a project much like my Big Red turned into, only you've got the advantage of this board. I had to figure things out for myself. Met Les and Jeff after the fact.
Though my Big Red was fully functional when I bought it.

Name
George Valliant

Did somebody say "Big Red" ? Why does that ring a bell. Wasn't there a truckmount back in the 80's called a big red? or, maybe i'm thinking about a cleaning company.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug

oh god tell them all to stfu....

dude get it, $1500 is decent, yeah some money has to be dumped on it, but hey almost what used one doesnt...

I have one of them tanks, and while i wish it was a few more things, it has made it sweet to pimp...you can get your true flow of CFMs and lift through that....

I hate the fookin filter set up in it though...little nubber things...but what ya gonna do??

of nothing else and you have to buy a motor or blower or what have you, at least you have a frame to place stuff....hell how much is a frame to get made??? let alone to make sure you have the right spacing...

I havent torn through those exchangers, but kelly over at steamaction supply (no relation to the machine) has re-built a few and could help you out...

if i had the cash in a heartbeat...plus you have to like to tinker with things...

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner

My Big Red was originally purchased in 1980. Gary Heacock was there the day Carl took possession of it. He was telling me of it at MikeyFest. This unit will run and run and run. Just needs a few tweaks and TLC along the way.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Re: Need your advice

This place just keeps getting better and better. Well put John!

Greenie

Larry Cobb said:
Chad;

One of our customers has a Steam Action TM.

He said that the parts are not made anymore,
so keep that in mind for the proprietary parts like the HX's, etc.

Larry

I don't want to bust on Larry, but something tells me if I call the SteamAction 800 number right now, they will make me the HX I need for that unit.
But....it'd have to be pretty F'd up to need a new one, they were built like tanks, any decent welder could put it back into action.

The engine and blower are worth $1500 right now to someone that needs one, or some dude in N. Cal that is using a #3 blower 16hp machine.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter

Gene Bates of Lawndale Ca made the Big Red......i bought THE FIRST ONE made........it was running twenty years later when i sold it.....Perkins 4 cyl!

and Chad...don't worry....the hurt will go away...but you'll still be stuck wit a POS!

Chads

Supportive Member

Dang it, anybody got a 25 hp kohler, first took spark plugs out well one at least the other took awile to get because it was frose in there and strip the threads out coming out, so I ran around to find a heli coil and got back and started messing with the machine was able to put the old spark plug back in and spun it over and didnt shoot out so I thought well I'll try to start it now. so I hooked everthing up to just start it ran it for a few seconds rev it up a little and it was running just fine and then hell broke loose like when you blow a motor but no noises leading up to it. look like the sparks and small junks of alluminum came from the front like where the air cooling fins are no visual marks of what broke I know the motor wont turn over right now so I've got to tear it apart to find out what happened. this thing is aready starting to bite me. but blower sounded fine.

Farenheit251

Damn, If you would have blown the engine before you bought it I bet you could have got it for $500. My Kohler 25 with only 43 hours cost $1500.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug

depending on what exactly you thought or wanted it for...

just remember at least there is a frame to work with..

Chads

Supportive Member

Well I went out there again when I had a little time and tore into it and got so far as the fly wheel and didnt want to go find my puller for the night but I found part of the problem there is looks like a 2 inch bolt that is stuck in between the fly wheel and the crankcase and the alluminum chunks look like little bits of cooling fins so until I have taken it apart all the way I wont know the extent of the damage. will update yall though. I kinda miss spinning wrenches.
IMG_2736.jpg

Name
I'm Rick James
Shit happens when you buy a used machine. If the blower heat exchanger, pump works you'll be in good shape. If you have to dump a couple to a few G's in it you'll still come out with a good working machine and you'll know every sq inch of it and can do any repair yourself. I think we all knew that some $$$ was gonna have to be put into it.

Think positve and this could be a good experience for you.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
why don't you guys listen to me. I have sold more used equipment then just about anyone here in case you all FORGOT. Sheesh. I don't just make shit up. Chad if you really wanted a new used machine I have a steam genie with 3k hours new cat 3cp and clutch and 65000 btu little giant less then 1 year use and willing to take 3k plus shipping

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
yes yes we know john....

and yes i know we are suppose to be CARPET CLEANERS not wrench turners..

but there is also great satisfaction in fixing/building/add what ever you want in here.. something yourself....

he has a running unit, if he can take a bit of time and a few $$, he will have something running great that HE has done...not only will he know how to fix what, he has the satisfaction of what he did..

sometimes its about more then just the money or ease of buying new....and you cant over look that..

now if you dont know shit about how to fix things...then yes by all means stay away from used and buy a new one everytime the lease is done.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
keep the exchangers if you can....i have a damn good propane, and still wish i had a exhaust exchanger, for small jobs or furniture, or to help keep the cost of propane down...or to help increase the speed at which it heats up, or, or, or...lots of reasons id love to have a little extra boost

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I was talkin about what he paid for it.It has froze see the gauge? so pump is probably gone and maybe the hx and those are not as bullet proof as greenie thinks but they can be fixed I know we've fixed those same ones 4 times now. Next it is covered in dust which has been wet more then once so the blower probably has rust an the engine would be iffy which we now know. all these things put the machine at 500 or less. Now some people said the parts are worth xxx well the used parts market aint what yo think it is. I have 5 blowers sitting here and they aren't flying off the shelf same as the used engines or pumps. So i'm not bustin' his balls for buying it but anyone that said it was worth more then $500 and that might be a stretch.

Chad if there is anything we can help with call me i'll stop bustin' your balls and start helping now :)

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I agree wit John.........

Most people don have the slightest idea HOW to shop a TM.......
I DO KNOW..

Once you go Direct Drive...
you NEVER go back!

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
A piece of the Carb on the 27hp Kohlers rattles loose and falls into the engine and trashes it. (Found out on the south side of the factory warranty to the tune of FIVE GRAND!)
Look for something like that on the 25HP... bound to have something like that...

"It's not a flaw, it's a feature"

Chads

Supportive Member
Well she is back together and running like a champ hook up some water lines and got a couple leaks but pump is working I think the pressure guage is jacked up. Blower works fine good suction still some reworking to go on.

Name
I'm Rick James
Ignition coils look good along with the alternator. How is the flywheel? Looks like there is no major damage.

Back
Top Bottom