New shop - diamond in the ruff...

Bob Foster

800 square feet 5 year old building for cheap. Great size for a modest rug studio and shop.

Lots of insulation plenty of power with water and heat.

12 foot ceiling (great height for hanging rugs) Nice open clear span area for a pit/flat drying.

Lots of lights, windows, and three skylights.

10 foot overhead door that will allow the truck to fit in the shop I had to.

Lots of parking including behind the shop.

They are going to drywall it (and I paint it) for me before I move in after Christmas. All the junk in there is going to be removed. I get to keep the nice work bench.

doorandtruckheight.jpg

southwallfromohdoor.jpg

westsidewall.jpg

eastsidewallcorners.jpg

electrialservice.jpg

Name
Shawn Forsythe
danielc said:
Looks like a garage in the middle of nowhere to me.

Still cool anyways.

You are confusing it with EZ TM's World Headquarters.
I'm sure Bob's is much more modern, with grounded outlets.

That place will be nice, Bob. 8)

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Looks great Bob.
Buying or renting?

Anyways, it looks like you are making some serious commitments and knowing you from MB, I am sure you will make it work well for you.

Best of wishes.

Bob Foster

danielc said:

Still cool anyways.

Exactly what I want. In the heart of my service area but secluded enough that I can build a sound proof torture room like Terje has.

drivewaymud2.jpg

Bob Foster

Ofer Kolton said:
Looks great Bob.
Buying or renting?

Anyways, it looks like you are making some serious commitments and knowing you from MB, I am sure you will make it work well for you.

Best of wishes.

Renting.

I'm paying $500 a month including utilities. For around here that is a drop dead steal. The new shop is in the middle of my main service area where my old one was a little bit more of a drive than I liked.

Yes I am making commitments, I'm working hard to impress by customers with high quality service and its working very well. Between dropping my second yellow page ad (which was useless) my net expense doesn't change. Also, not that I'm going to get rich doing it, my rug cleaning side is showing steady growth.

I should have taken a picture of my old shop. I have a one foot walk way around most of the open area of the floor because I have 4 rugs flat drying on them and two rugs waiting for room.

The move makes complete sense.

Here is what I was using for a shop.

IMG_0136.jpg

shoploaded-1.jpg

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
500 is freaking steal! Nice catch Bob, clean 4-5 rugs and rent is paid for....you can't argue with that at all.

I'm looking for something similar.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Bob Foster said:
[quote="Ofer Kolton":2ycjijfk]Looks great Bob.
Buying or renting?

Best of wishes.

Renting.

I'm paying $500 a month including utilities. For around here that is a drop dead steal. The new shop is in the middle of my main service area where my old one was a little bit more of a drive than I liked.
[/quote:2ycjijfk]

Around here you'd get a "shared" 100 sqft office with an old desk (utilities not included). Did I mention "shared", that's that "old room back there in the back that the engineering company has no use for".

I should move.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Sweet.
What kind of heat does it have??
Might be tough to bring it up to temp with those open rafters.

Bob Foster

Electric base board but I think I will use a oil filled catalytic style heater as its more efficient. I won't keep it very warm unless I am drying rugs

G

That looks nice Mr. Foster. I hope it works out good for you. Where do you live? That looks like some real nice woods there. Oh. I see now. You're up there somewhere in BC. I bet yall have some big deer up there.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Bob Foster said:
danielc said:

Still cool anyways.

Exactly what I want. In the heart of my service area but secluded enough that I can build a sound proof torture room like Terje has.

drivewaymud2.jpg

And the shithouse looks nice and close.

Bob Foster

I live on Vancouver Island in a small town called Sidney BC. One of the most beautiful places on earth.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Is that outhose a one or two holer? Always good to have a double in case somebody needs some encouragement.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Bob Foster said:
Electric base board but I think I will use a oil filled catalytic style heater as its more efficient. I won't keep it very warm unless I am drying rugs

run a wood stove in it!

Bob Foster

There is one in the shop for the asking. You can see the some disassembled stack in the corner of one of the pictures. I refused her offer because I didn't want the liability of it.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Hoody said:
500 is freaking steal! Nice catch Bob, clean 4-5 rugs and rent is paid for....you can't argue with that at all.

I'm looking for something similar.

For what?

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Good for you Bob! Looks great, beautiful spot, plenty of power. But what about water and drains :lol: :lol:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Bob is land expensive there? What would your payments look like for a small lot and a putting up a building? You could always rent out half of it to another service business to help cover the payment.

It's a nice building and a good price but I agree if it snows you might have some difficulty getting back up the hill. I think our box trucks would anyway.

Bob Foster

The lowest price single family house sells for half a million on a postage stamp sized lot. A home with an acreage with a suitable area for a shop would start at a cost of around $700,000 at the low end without the cost of building a shop on it.

An acreage zoned industrial would be in the millions. A single bay condominium 1600 square foot shop would sell for 400,000 and the same one to rent would cost triple net for $10-12 per foot plus around $5 per foot common costs and tax.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Onya Bob, all the best.

Funny how people have a different perspective of situations.

Some mentioned having problems getting out when it snowed.

As soon as I saw the photo, I thought "how the heel would I get out when it rains".

Another couple of thoughts............

Security to keep the place safe from thieves, it seems very isolated.

The insulation, looks like fiberglass to me, won't that blow all over when your fans are running.??

Finally, the dunny, I hope it doesn't overflow and all of Willy's crap run down into the rug shack.

Take care,

Shorty down under

Bob Foster

ShortyDownUnder said:
Onya Bob, all the best.

Funny how people have a different perspective of situations.

Some mentioned having problems getting out when it snowed.

As soon as I saw the photo, I thought "how the heel would I get out when it rains".

Another couple of thoughts............

Security to keep the place safe from thieves, it seems very isolated.

The insulation, looks like fiberglass to me, won't that blow all over when your fans are running.??

Finally, the dunny, I hope it doesn't overflow and all of Willy's crap run down into the rug shack.

Take care,

Shorty down under

Security is not an issue. Many people in the area don't bother to lock their homes.

It snows here where it actually sticks on the ground any where from no days per year to 10 days per year. Mostly about 3 or 4 days a year. For those days I just take my truck home and not use the shop for fill and dump.

The place will be sheeted and painted completely before I move in so the insulation will not be exposed.

No shitter in the place so that is a draw back but then I'm in the woods so I can figure it out.

The hill - yup there is a hill and before I rented it I did a few trial runs up and down it to see how the truck would do and its no problem.

Have a look at the hill.

Drivewayup.jpg

drivewaylongshot2.jpg

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Get a winch capable of pull the box truck, mount it to the front bumper. Then hook a cable to a tree up across the road. In bad weather winch it up, unhook and you're good.

You'll never get stuck anywhere again! 8)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom