Connor

Name
Connor
Bob Foster said:
I'm going to dig a basement.

tc.jpg

That's kinda how I imagined Lisa's house. :mrgreen:

Bob Foster

If there's bad weather I'll leave my truck at home. If I get caught with it down there then likely I would have cancellations on work anyway. Not a big deal. A few gravel truck loads of crush is going to be put on the driveway over the next couple weeks.

Can't wait to get in there.

John Watson

No Noosh Nic? You going to shakin it at the lileys? What aboot floor drains? Waste tank offerings? You know thats what they does wit the islands stuff now don't cha. Dump her in the bay and the currant brings it to our beaches here in the USA....

GCP

very cool keep trucking, and i love your response your working hard for your clients. to impress them with great service. i agree with you there and will work hard to impress mine as well. you dont have to have the best shop or the best equipment, but you must work hard for you clients to keep them and gain more.

Ron K

Sewer or Septic or River. Looks like another spa in the woods. Still want my Wash-Pit and ??

Bob Foster

thathurts Ivebeensold Ivebeensold Ivebeensold thathurts Ivebeensold

I'm having second thoughts because of the steepness of the driveway. I was going to pay to have more road base put down on it but yesterday I received some quotes and the lowest quote is around $3500. Even though she was paying to have the ceiling dry-walled, I was going to have to buy the plywood and put it on the walls and paint it which up here my material cost alone would be around $1600.

Coincidentally the owner of another shop I was after phoned yesterday and accepted an offer I made the week earlier and it is every bit the shop the other one is and even more central to my work. Its slightly larger with a small attached office and only requires cleaning up to make it workable. But its also a few hundred more a month which is not a big deal. I'm leaning towards this shop seems to make more financial sense. Its on a small farm like where I am now.

Going to take the day to think about it. Pictures to follow.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Unless drywall was applied only to the upper trusses you'd lose the skylights (which will leak anyway), and the potential overhead storage. Would be a "fun" project..for free.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Bob, is all that hard earned money burning a hole in your pocket, just waiting to be spent.??

How desperate do you need new digs, (a shed).??

Why not wait a while and shop around, unless this is urgent..

You should know that a big trip starts with the first step, and making that first step a cautious one makes for a safer journey. !gotcha!

hogjowl

Idiot™
Yeah and answer the question about your heater vent ... I was wondering the same thing.

I was also wondering why Hoodie was looking for a shop too ... and he never answered that question either.

Bob Foster

I do need a bigger and better shop for many reasons. Rug production alone leaves me too compromised where I am because I can't control the environment the way I want nor do I have enough space to clean them, dry them or hang them.

Bob Foster

29 X 34 (986 sq ft) plus office and washroom. 11 - 14 ft ceilings

Plus it has a mechanics pit that I think I can use to put fans in and shoot air up onto a flat rack

shopoutside.jpg

epanel.jpg

ceiling.jpg

steelbeam.jpg

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
aint you bastards ever heard of asphault??? I swear every picture i see is like out of the 40s.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

John Watson

Bobby, how much snow do you get?? Sounds like chicken little running around. A bit of sand on hand if ever needed on bad snow days your stupid if you try to compete with the other fools who don't know how to drive in the stuff... Heavy snow, hire a plow to clear, sand and go. shop looked great to me even tho its out in the toolies.. Instead of wood on the walls, I used a cheap chip board 1 st 4 to 6 ft only. I used a 3/8 foam insulation sheet to add to insulation and cover studs the rest of the way. Can you do $500 per mo in rugs? Yes presto shop paid for, Oh you can do more Walla, gets you stuff to go larger when time and money is ready.... Come on where is your positivity I know.

Bob Foster

Your right. However I don't live in a very cold part of the country. It rarely freezes here - may be a few days a year. Its too bad the other place didn't work out but I have to get decent space for a lower price and that involves some shortcomings.

I won't pay the money they want around here for commercial property rental. I'm working to make money for myself and not some landlord.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Bob Foster said:
It rarely freezes here

Really????
Must be the Pacific keeping the temps up??

If that's the case, maybe those damn gaps in the garage doors won't be that big of a problem. They look like they will be impossible to draft proof.
Infrequent freezing may make the other shop's driveway even worse. I'll take nice frozen, hard ground over a soggy muddy mess anytime. Especially after parking your rig there after a couple of days of rain.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
That looks great Bob. What a deal compared to buying too. My place is rural too. 3K SF and there is still just barely walking room around the trucks and stuff. Nice to be in the woods.
Al

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
they are calling for a colder than normal winter this year. However, living on the coast moderates the temp, so the "cold" may happen farther inland. Seen it get to -10C a couple times. The biggest challenge is that because it doesn't get that cold here, the highway dept isn't really equipped to handle snow properly. Not worth buying the equipment.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Bob maybe there is another way to get in cheaper? or Do you need somewhere for your truck anyway?

The first one with the steep drive looks great but the floor space could get used up fast if you're doing multiple rugs.

Maybe you could look for a hall or church that would let you use the floor space for a couple of weekends a month or something like that? You could always trade them in cleaning for the use? At least until you build up a volume that would require a dedicated space. ?????

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Big Star said:
Bob maybe there is another way to get in cheaper? or Do you need somewhere for your truck anyway?

The first one with the steep drive looks great but the floor space could get used up fast if you're doing multiple rugs.

Maybe you could look for a hall or church that would let you use the floor space for a couple of weekends a month or something like that? You could always trade them in cleaning for the use? At least until you build up a volume that would require a dedicated space. ?????

Good tips.

I'm following this thread closely, but I'm in the opposite of Bob's, no rural here.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
If you are doing existing custy's it's probably fine if you want to grow a rug biz i'd be concerned having a drop location is important and what does a shack in the woods say to custy's?

How are you going to Market, clean rugs bob ? you can reply to me privately if you want as you know who often looks around here!

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Because where I live they don't allow you to park commercial/logo'd vehicles, so I need a place to store one or two.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Hoody said:
Because where I live they don't allow you to park commercial/logo'd vehicles, so I need a place to store one or two.

You have me wondering ... have you finally gone into business for yourself?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom