Our Average Joe--Greg "minuteman" Fargo--

Mikey P

Administrator
It's my pleasure to introduce Greg Fargo to you all.
Greg's attitude caught my attention during the past week so I asked him to sit on the hot seat tonight

I'll see you all in a little while but in the meantime here's Greg..

Hi all, my name is Greg; I own and operate Minuteman P.C.S. in L.A. California. I started out in the early 70’s as a window cleaner working for my brother in law and after a year and a half he went on to better things and sold me the business. Went broke in a year and a half ‘cause I didn’t know a thing about business, customer relations, Oh Hell I didn't know my a** from a hole in the ground! But I didn't give up, I attended the school of Hard Knocks and kept on learning. Pretty sure I’ve made every mistake one can in business.

in the early eighty’s I added carpet cleaning, started with a Rug Doctor and a Holt shampooer, got a partner and we went out and got a Bane unit, added a Bane Mini Mount and the CC took off for us, within a year and a half so did he, with the cash and the equipment, I only lost a few K on that experience, but I sure did learn a hell of a lot. Then came a Steam Genie HydroMaster from a friend for $250.00 “it was a basket caseâ€Â

Mikey P

Administrator
Alright folks here we go...
Greg can you tell us a bit about your business at this point?

What is your residential to commercial ratio?

What type of marketing do you do?

minuteman

I have the Ford Box Truck and a Ford Pic up with a Hotsy 1260 in it and behind the Box truck I pull an All Amercian, have two guys one is strictly pressure washing and window cleaning and the other rides with me. Most of my work is Com. But next year I'll be making a major push back to Res.

RickL

On the truck

greg in an average day staring out what do you typically carry on the truck. Equipment (other than TM ) and Chems

minuteman

As for Soda I like it, but most jobs I use sand. The biggest difference is I do not compete with them with any cheap pricing.

minuteman

I work all over the place, from west side out to Upland. When I pull out at any time its a full on water damage rig and sometimes a water blaster also.

Mikey P

Administrator
You mentioned that you charge .75 a foot for residential carpet cleaning..

How do you go about finding clients who will pay that much when you're surrounded by 1000's of coupon cleaners?

Mikey P

Administrator
I have to admit that your name is not familiar to me. I noticed you posting a bit lately and thought a new guy would be good on the Hot Seat. Possibly encouraging other new guys to break out of their shells and post more.

Can you tell us how you found this Board and if it's been any help to you so far?

minuteman

I found the board through Delco.com, and has it helped? Hell yes, in my opinion I think it is becoming the best board out there. I never heard of using 2.5 hose to up the air flow or a Bayco or a Knuckle, till I got here.You can take a chem class in some of the rooms .Its a Great Board!

minuteman

No I didn't get mugged. but I have top go through a spell check and it is slooooooooooooooooow!

Mikey P

Administrator
I use to work for a POG company in L.A.

We were Apartment cleaners mostly....

I see where a guy like Jose Smith is taking advantage of the big money clients down there and running with it as an Owner Operator.

How do you plan to get into the "Movie Stars" home to clean?

If you're willing to deal with the congestion and horrible traffic down there the sky is the limit as far as income goes for a guy like you..

minuteman

I can not tell you my client list but lets say I met a bunch. And the traffic Sucks all the time.

G

what about family life...

do you have a wife and kids...

How do they put up with you cleaning..

What are your hours usually and how does the family take it?

Chad

G

As for the hi roller customers...

How do they treat you? As an equal...or a mexican janitor?

G

What kind of a goal per guy do you give yourself to turn per week, month, or year?

minuteman

Have a Lady 15 years younger than me, I like it that way, and my kids are on there own. Son Jeremy, is 27 and just made me a GRANDPA with a new baby boy Named Conner, and my daughter, Antionette is 24 and on her way to being millionaire in interior design, big money in that business and the Viking thing was too you Chad.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
How many trucks do you run?.

I see you've been in business for a long time, do you advertise or all word of mouth?.

Albert

Mikey P

Administrator
Screw the spell checker Greg. Just pound out the answers.

We're all dumb ass broke dick carpet cleaners here Bud, no one is going to think lees of you if you spell there "their"....

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
Do you work in Orange County?

Forgive my stupidity, but I am learning the LA area.

I have been to culver city, compton, long beach, ontario. I guess Barstow was my favorite.

minuteman

Goals per guy, if they don't pull in two clients a month they get chewed. As for rich clients they let you know they are rich Yup like a bean.And yup the Cowboys too! But My Packers are still alive!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom