Payroll Advances

I don't have this problem now, but I think back to my former job. When hired, we were given two pairs of Dickies work pants. We could choose Khaki or Dark Navy Blue. We were given three shirts, long or short sleeve, again Khaki or Dark Navy Blue. At 6 months, we were given a 4th shirt. At our service anniversary, one pair of pants, two shirts.
If something came up, the clothing was damaged or you just wanted more, you could ask for one extra pants or shirt, the cost of which was deducted from your next check. You could do it once a year, only for one piece of clothing. That was the extent of payroll advances, but it was a nice thing to do for us. Do you advance on payroll under any circumstances? I think as a company policy, I will write that into the employee handbook I'm working on. Right now it is only me, sometimes my brother-in-law (who has plenty of work clothes) and his son, my nephew, who only has what I gave him. He needs an extra short sleeve shirt. He only has one. He's sweating up a storm already. I know he will not go and buy one, but will take one if I advance it to him.
What do you think?

Mikey P

Administrator
So after busting his ass all day humping a wand you want him to go home and do laundry for one shirt?

JHC.

GIVE your employee at least 6 work shirts (polos, tees..whatever) a jacket and a long sleeve over shirt or three for the winter

When he started, he asked for 3 long sleeve. I told him to get one short sleeve. The only short sleeve he has is the one I gave him at 6 months. Maybe I am too stingy with uniforms. I went through it. I remember having two pants and fours shirts, getting a 5th shirt from the advance and making it for a year on that. I'm not saying it was easy or fun, but that's about the only reason I can think of that I would give an advance on...

Mikey P

Administrator
So if he shows up with a dirty shirt that reeks of yesterdays cat job then what?

Did you know that customers don't give a shit if their carpet cleaner is wearing a T Shirt with a company logo on it that only cost 8 bucks?

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I think my shirts cost about 20 bucks each with logo. So 5 of them would only be around a hundred bucks. Why are you being so stingy? Heck with 7 shirts that I keep for myself they only stay looking nice for about a year. If I only had one then it would only look good for about 2 months.

I require tan dickies or equivalent. I recommend they get 4-5 pairs. Pants tend to last longer but they also are only 20 bucks each.

Dmreed4311

Supportive Member
Name
David Reed
Queensboro.com
I supply all my guys with free embroidered polos and tees, they are responsible for thier pants.
As many as they need i will give them with in reason.

F

FB7777

I don't understand the payroll advance for company uniforms

If your company is requiring a specific uniform, it should be provided free of charge

Go research uniform rental companies costs and see if throwing in a half dozen extra shirts on your dime isn't a better deal

I provide logo jacket, hoodie and t- shirts

Depending on weather, cargo shorts not gym shorts may be worn

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
I can see limiting the uniforms while an employee is in the first three months, probationary period, but once past that time, I would give a full set and any more they might require. It's YOUR company they represent, so you want to do all you can to HELP them look/smell good.

Take care,
Lisa

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Wow. Send a guy out with truck and equipment that are worth 50K not to mention your reputation and shirts is where you are going to save a buck? Penny wise and pound foolish in my opinion. Now if a careless guy comes back with paint on a nice 75.00 embroidered Carhart Hoodie then I say the next one you buy.
Al

Opie Cleaner

Give enough shirts and pants that he'll always look good, 6&6.

I don't do long sleeves, too hot in winter, I have a sweat shirt and fleece pullover.

I bet he thinks your a cheap ass for not giving him enough clothes, especially if he lives with a girlfriend/wife - they probably hate you :twisted:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
This is the stupidest thread topic question ever.

Geez man!! Keep your help looking good and it's money in YOUR pocket.

Looking like a pro starts the sales procedure off on the right track from the start.

A good tech can probably make enough to pay for a year of uniforms by noon.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I buy it all for my employees even the ones that work once and a while(want to make them look like they do it everyday). My main guy got 3 pair of tan cargo pants,4 polo's, and an embroidered Carhart jacket.

As far as payroll advances I gave him $200.00 to hold him over the first week before he got paid...

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
we keep the shirts on the truck. we wash them all together. in the past people took them home and always faded them out. i like the uniforms to look nice and pressed. somedays we go through one on every job. it's hot and sweaty work especially when the humidity is around 90%. i replace all just about every year.

gene

Well I've increased his clothing allotment. He's also been with me almost 6 months. He now is in possession of 3 pairs of pants, one being new, 1 pair of shorts for super hot work days, 4 short sleeve shirts, three being new and the three long sleeve shirts he started with. In October I will get him a lined Ike jacket and at least one more long sleeved shirt.
As for my past experience of being the employee and receiving only 2 pants and 3 shirts when starting, one additional garment being considered being an "advance in pay" was wrong. P)art of why I started my own business is to not do things the way they were done before by my former employer.
For the record, a truckmount is not in my budget, nor does it fit my business model. I do a lot of late night restaurant jobs. Can't have an open door. I also think I am generous with the pay. I give him my state's minimum wage, plus 10% of the billable work. Cuts down on redos, because they pay so little, nobody wants to go back to fix a problem. He is able to completed $600-700 billable per shift, so he gets $60-70 per shift for the work and $58 for his time. He grosses $650-670 a week and has health insurance.
He's my first employee. I am still learning. His father is a recently retired janitor at age 49 with 27 years service. He has helped me about 5 times so far. He tells me he has over 10 pairs of new pants and over 20 new shirts left over. He says don't worry about him needing uniforms.

Faraday

I didn't understand this payroll program. I don't if there is any problem or I am simply a dumb person. Can anyone here please make me understand it. I shall be very thankful for his or hers effort.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
In the People's Republic of NY you have too also compensate employees for laundry on any uniforms you provide.
Around $500 a year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom