Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Well, here's the stats and comments.
Eric, please add your comments.
Thanks to all that participated.

MF52009PortyShootoutStats.jpg

Procedure
Lift in Inches of Water, (Ave H2O Lift) We used a Bentley wand with holed glide and a hole drilled into the head to test vacuum at the floor. Measurements were taken as it was pushed forward and when pulled backward on dry carpet and then taking the average.

H2O Lift was measured at the vacuum inlet of each machine.
CFM was measured at the end of 25ft of 2” hose.
Amperage was the average measured when the wand was on the floor and off.
Accessories are not that accurate. Lacking info.
Apologies for lack of pictures. I believe Mark Cermack has some, if he would be so kind as to post them.

Water recovery test.
Preparing the machines, ie equalizing them. Enough water was poured into each machine, then sprayed and recovered till the water ran out. The recovery tank was then emptied with the machine flat, ie not tipping it. Since some water will remain in the soln tanks when the pump runs dry and some will remain in the recovery tanks, this preparation ensures that the quantity of water poured into the soln tank will be used and whatever water is recovered can be drained.

An AW29 non-glided wand was used for the recovery test because of it’s the normal wand sold with a portable. (note, I didn’t even look at the jets, I believe 02’s are stock on the AW29) It was also the best choice since there were malfunctions with the Bentley wands. Further tests were not made with a glided Bentley when it was fixed because we ran out of time. The same hose, 25ft of 2”, was used with each portable.

Since the Horizon has no soln tank, the AW29 was hooked up to it and sprayed into a bucket for 1 minute. That water level was marked and then that amount of water was added to the solution tanks of each portable. When we tested with the Horizon the “on jet time” was measured at 1 minute.
Only cold water was used to prevent any differences due to water temp.

A basic wand pattern was used, spray on the back stroke, dry pass on forward, moving sideways till all the water was used up. Then dry passes were performed in reverse.

All units were set at 250psi except the Sphere which only has a 100psi pump. It simply tool longer to spray out its measure of water.

Recovered water was poured into the same bucket that measured the fresh water to measure amount recovered.

Results/Observations/Conclusions/Theory

The Sphere did pretty good, as mentioned, it tool longer to spray out its measure of water since it only has a 100psi pump but still recovered 100%, even with 2” hose.
250psi seemed like a nice pressure to work with.
Each machine recovered almost 100% of the water, even the Sphere. The M5 recovered a little less than the rest, which since it didn’t make sense, we theorized that with its higher lift the wand was locking down on the carpet and therefore losing airflow and thus recovering a little less. We never had the time to test each machine with a glided wand which we believe would have shown more of a difference between the different machines performance. We were going to test with 50ft of 2” hose.

The M5, Master Force and Horizon had the switches all up top. The M5 and Horizon each has circuit locators which were nice to have. The M5 was the easiest to hook up with both vac and soln connections located on top plus having a cool cuff for its vac connection. The Recoil’s switches were located in a somewhat awkward location, at the bottom on the front, under a lip of the tanks, with that position and being non-lit they were hard to see.

The motor compartment of the Recoil and Sphere were bolted and makes them the hardest to access the machinery. The others were fairly easy to get into.

The M5 had the best CFM while the Master Force had the most lift. This is due to the different configuration of the vac motors, ie parallel and series respectively.

The theory with the Recoil was that since all three vacs were in parallel there was a loss of vacuum “through” the weaker 2 stage vac, ie sucking through it. This would explain the increased lift when the 2 stage was disconnected. Would have been nice to see a new machine.

Overall, I liked the M5 and Master Force best. Though the other 3 really weren’t in the same class. The Sphere isn’t meant for large area cleaning. The Horizon is mainly a flood extractor and for tile but since it was there we included it in the test. It would make a decent carpet extractor as well.
Of the M5 and Master Force, the M5 has some better tweaks, ie the connections are all up top, some cup holders to hold a spotter, or a beer. The dump is in the back away from the hoses. I find its easier to tip a machine from the back than from the front in order to drain the tank.

The machines could use a little larger fill hole for the soln tanks. At the end of the job they need to be sucked out and one needs to squeeze his arm in with the vac hose. Nothing major but something for future models.
The Master Force\s pump needs to be greased. It comes with a small grease gun. That’s an extra maintenance step the M5 doesn’t have to worry about. Would have to see over the long term which pump performs better.

As has been said, would have been nice to try all the machines with a glided wand and a longer length of hose. We got carried away with getting all the numbers which ate up the time. The numbers show that the M5 and MF are the best machines. However, the simple extraction test shows that they will all do the job, just the larger the machine, the faster the job will be completed. Plus, with the higher pressure, a cleaner job will be the result as well.

Can some one post the price of the Master Force and the M5? That will also be a big factor.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
Nice job Rob. Proves what we already know. There is sweat spot when balancing lift and cfm. The M5 is nicely balanced and thus delivered the best lift AND cfm at the end of the hose.

The Recoil has to little lift to start with and is not balance. The 2-stage vac motor is useless.

The Masterforce is the other extreme, to much lift and not enough cfm.

Where the M5 would really out shine the other two is with longer hose runs, basements with machine on the main floor, when pre-sprayed on the heavy side and when you take faster strokes.

Scott Rogers

Odin, why didnt they test your machine? I was actually looking forward to seeing its results. Do you have a standard configuration or are they strictly custom built? what price range do they run

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Thanks Ron!
Greatly appreciated

Bill Soukoreff said:
Nice job Rob. Proves what we already know. There is sweat spot when balancing lift and cfm. The M5 is nicely balanced and thus delivered the best lift AND cfm at the end of the hose.

did you read the same thing i did, Bill?
if so, I don't have a clue how you came to that conclusion. :roll:

the M5 recovered a little less than the rest..

that doesn't sound like the right "balance" to me

The M5 had the best CFM while the Master Force had the most lift. This is due to the different configuration of the vac motors, ie parallel and series respectively.

The Masterforce had the most lift. The Mytee had the most CFM
if the theorists were correct that wand lock down caused the poor showing of the Mytee, the Masterforce (the one with the most lift) would "theoretically" be the worst at recovery.
CFM is air movement and doesn't cause wand lock down...lift does

thanks again Ron, Eric and everyone else that helped test the portys
Your time, attention to detail and "doing the right thing" to the best of your ability is greatly appreciated

..L.T.A.

Brian L

Name
Brian L
Chris, there is no more than 50 hours on the machine. I took it out of storage a few months ago and put a 2" hose barb on it. That is the only thing I have done to the unit (besides glueing the hose connectors back on to the vac motors whenever they fell off.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Breviks machines remind me of Ken Harriss's Raptor. Its coming out next week. We are still waiting for the Raptor. Just like we are still waiting for Brevik's machines. Kind of like a Fairy Tale.

Golden Boy

Todd Anthony

wow , the h2o lift really diminishes at the end of the wand , I wonder if a machine like the steamin demon would do better and have more lift at the carpet ?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Good Report, Ron.

Accurate testing is very time-consuming.

I think the reason the Mytee had the most lift @ the wand was due to the new higher air-watt motors used on the machine.

To test further, would require the same vac motors hooked up in series on the same machine. Either way, I think it would have the highest lift numbers.

Air-watt power is the best way to compare the machine vac power.

Did anyone get any lift numbers on the same wand with any TM's ?

Larry

nrpepper

Name
Nathan Pepper
In answer to Ron's questions on pricing.

The 15 gallon M-5 is $2,505. Auto fill and pump-out are standard.

http://www.mytee.com/products/product.php?id=M-5

We also carry the 1005DX, which is the same basic unit in a 12 gallon body, without the auto-fill and pump out. Price is $2,009.

http://www.mytee.com/products/product.php?id=1005DX

We also are starting production on our vacuum booster, which was shown at the fest. The price is $599. No wbsite link yet, but we will be working on it, and I will let you all know when the page is up.

Thanks.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Larry Cobb said:
I think the reason the Mytee had the most lift @ the wand was due to the new higher air-watt motors used on the machine.

ya think?

i think it could of been as simple as inadvertently pushing down on the wand more.
Or possibly the carpet was worked more/less in that area.
lift measured ATM vac port takes those variables out of the equation
with or with out aIr wAtTs...

..l.T.A.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Thanks Ron, for the extra work you put in on this... Great job!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
lovin the Avatar Mr. Odin
Send me the link of the full size because when I squent it cuts off blood supply to Mr. Happy.

IMG_2531.jpg

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Don't forget Eric Valentine and Dennis ? (can't remember his last name) put in a LOT of work. Also Brett from Mytee was there at 730AM with Dennis to do some more testing.

Kudos to all these guys for getting all the numbers down.

Kevin

Why did the testing only use a short hose run?

A dual 2 stage setup will get the job done at 25ft.

Should have tested at long runs. Or atleast the standard 75ft most use with a porty.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
meAt said:
Thanks Ron!
Greatly appreciated

Bill Soukoreff said:

did you read the same thing i did, Bill?
if so, I don't have a clue how you came to that conclusion. :roll:

Meat, mayby I am reading the chart wrong :? , but this is the way I see it:

Which machine had the best CFM and LIFT at the END of the hose and wand?

One had higher lift at the machine, the other had higher CFM at the machine, but look what happened with the CFM at the end of 25ft of hose and the average lift at the wand. The M5 did better. The more balanced relationship of lift and cfm WON.

I agree that the recovery is odd, but I think further testing would have solved that abnormality.

I spent three months last year (when I was off work for a broken ankle) testing various configurations of vac motors and for a two chord machine you can't beat 2 high lift (min. 146") and high CFM motors in parallel with good plumbing.

Where did the 300 CFM go? The Recoil does not have enough lift and so the CFM drops off faster at the end of the hose.

I agree with Larry about these new motors, but Airwatts can also be deceiving:

motor_compare.jpg

As far as the age of the Recoil, I can't see how motors with less than 100 hours on them could make any difference.

The small 2-stage is the problem.

Name
Eric Valentine
I agree with Ron on the MasterForce and the M5 being the 2 top picks. If I remember right, the pump on the masterforce is basically the same pump that Judson used years ago on the TNT (the TNT used a higher PSI model, but the same basic pump). They can be bought at Grainger, and aren't very expensive.

I regularly use 65 feet of hose off of my dual 2 stage porty with a glided aw-29 wand. My machine seems weak compared to the Mytee M5 and the Masterforce.

Yes Mikey, portables do suck. I am getting a TM next week, and won't want to go back to my old porty. I guess I will just have to save up some $$$ and get a M5-GG, so I won't have too much of a performance difference.

Here are the prices as I could find them:
Kleenrite Sphere $1,419.00 list price (upholstery machine)
Mytee M5-GG $2,505.00 from Mytee
MasterBlend MasterForce $3,250.00 from ADCO PRO (MasterBlend Disty)
Kleenrite Horizon $3.369.00 list price (tile and grout machine)
Cross-American Recoil $3,395.00 (new machine that is close in specs)

Overall, based on the $745 price difference between the M5 and it's nearest competitor, the Masterforce, the M5 would be my first choice.

John Watson

Thanks guys, I know it is a tedious job trying to get all the different procedures together and get them reported. Some are going to bitch and moan, complain about this and that. I and many others here know you guys did an outstanding job. Thanks for donating your time. I just wish we could get numbers on all the different truck mounted units, stock from the Manufactor and after the different components have been pimped...Then many could see and make better decisions...

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
The arguments are all moot points .

Remember comparing OP machines with guestimating temps under the pad at 120 degrees?

Having started with a portable and struggling I can say with confidence that PORTABLES are at the absolute bottom of my choice to use.

I would rather use my 12 inch HESCO buffer and bonnet clean than ANY portable.

G

I agree with Odin; a 9 year old machine can't be a fair test against newer models. Although I think the results were documented fairly. Lift without cfm balance won't work from what I see in results. Hopefully someone will demo a Recoil XPS; A difference in the 2 machines is noticeable. A minimum of 50 foot versus 25; I don't even use a 25 foot hose unless i wanna cut down on extra hose.

SuperFly

That extra 2-stage on the Recoil would increase cfm/lift.. with its own stack to the
wastetank.. My 3x3stage 116765 with individual stacks and 2" guts is a killer at
100"... :twisted: If they were in series then i can see the diminishing cfm/lift.. :|

When turning on the 3rd 3stage WOW!!...................... :lol: :p

Believe it or not..... :p

Brett

What might be better? Addding the 3rd 3stage to the Recoil or adding a 3 stage booster instead. And would the booster work better if you sealed the 2 stage and didn't use it or keep using it. I might someday just buy a booster if my 2 stage ever quit or fell apart

jimmyb

Brett I added a 3 stage to the recoil, and bought the extra power booster. Works well 100ft+. I think three 3 stage motors would be at the top of the shootoff for cfm's but not for lift.

And when I use the recoil with 25 ft I never use the 3rd vac. Two work just fine. 50-75, I use all three vacs, 75-100 or over, I use the power booster.

These machines are all really the same aren't they! Adding vacs doesn't mean adding 2 or 3 times the lift or cfm, it just seems to add a little of each. I guess they all move air and water, and that's all I'm looking for.

Back
Top Bottom