Premature Wear...a tough app topic..

Mikey P

Administrator
Not sure how to handle this topic...

@Jim Pemberton

My 1st attempt:

Premature wear
Unfortunately, some carpet manufacturers create low cost carpeting and hard surface products that will show wear almost immediately. While it’s not our place to get into the economics behind flooring choices and misleading marketing, we find that the adage of “you get what you pay for” is certainly true when it comes to flooring goods.
If your flooring is showing what you consider to be premature wear after cleaning by a IICRC Certified Technician, we highly recommend that you contact the flooring retailer and arrange to have a Mill Representative come out to inspect your flooring concerns.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Premature wear is wearing out before the manufacturer says it will. In the carpet warranties I have seen, they talk primarily about fiber loss. They don't warranty against high traffic areas, people in wheelchairs or who are shuffling their feet, etc. We are seeing more wear related issues with polyester carpet. All types of polyester including higher end triexta. I'm not sure how involved the average carpet cleaner wants to get except for, "I've tried everything and it doesn't respond" type of answer. We don't want to be telling the customer that it's their fault for buying cheap carpet.

Reactions: Willy P

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Because we want to keep our customer. It's a delicate balance explaining the differences in quality. I do have that conversation with some of my customers, usually in regard to recarpeting. Many will call me for advice before purchasing carpet, where I usually recommend a higher quality, stain resist nylon. Unfortunately, that carpet is becoming rare today.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
My email response to you Mike:

I'm wondering if this needs to be addressed differently.

I'm not certain that a technician is qualified to be a carpet/flooring inspector, and for them to bring up what could end up being a battle with the flooring retailer isn't necessary a good outcome.

Perhaps instead of "premature wear" (as even the term "wear" is not defined by the carpet manufacturing industry the way that we define it) we could look for wording that addresses texture change that causes the appearance of soil when instead its a light reflectance issue related to changes caused by traffic.

This might take some careful vocabulary, but in my view having wording that implies the product is cheap and/or not servicable is dropping a nuclear bomb in the middle of the room.

A diplomatic owner/operator talking face to face with their customer can work around that with some verbal legerdemain, but if its provided by a technician with wording like that, I can only imagine the responses....especially if the flooring dealer or designer recommended the service company.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
It's all in the delivery Ron...

That's my point:

You could charm your way through that conversation.

For that wording to come up in an ap from a technician to a customer would likely create conflict.

The concept is good, but I'm concerned about the words like "misleading marketing"

Reactions: Cleanworks

Mikey P

Administrator
Ideal new client today...

No premature wear...
PXL_20201124_173852372.jpg
PXL_20201124_181710701.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom