Project: The Making of a Rug Plant

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Tom,
Could you explain the layout with for the rug plant for flow of cleaning rugs, with the locations of each piece of equipment you are using? Also interested in where storage for clean/done and dirty rugs is with this lay out? Do you have this detailed on graph paper? I did see the sketch in the first few posts, just looking for more detail and understanding of space and sqft needed operate properly. Also what is the actual sqft used for the rug plant, minus all the office, show room, training area's? Thanks, really liking this thread!

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Nice set up Tom. I'm just wondering if you vent the area with the tumble duster or is it not necessary?

I am waiting on the delivery of my Dust Collector. It will draw air by ductwork from inside the room They were out of stock when I ordered it. Here is a picture of it:

g0440-06c8a2d546ffba0fc24244c67743129b.jpg

Reactions: Cleanworks

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
I was reminded to clean out the gutters after the high winds weaken them a bit. A contractor secured them better and subsequently cleaned them out today too:
20170324_084224.jpg
20170324_092742.jpg
20170324_092819.jpg

rick imby

Name
Rick
Excuse my ignorance---This is the unit that pulls the air from outside, heats it and then heats your drying room? With the Exhaust coming out of the Top of the room---grin--?

Are you going to harvest any of the exhaust heat? Maybe to preheat your hot water?

Reactions: T Monahan
Man, apparently I need to start becoming knowledgeable on oriental rugs so I may be able to do this one day.

I clean some wool rugs on site but honestly rugs kinda scare me.

Where's a good place for a rug newb to get started learning and training?

Reactions: T Monahan

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Excuse my ignorance---This is the unit that pulls the air from outside, heats it and then heats your drying room? With the Exhaust coming out of the Top of the room---grin--?

Are you going to harvest any of the exhaust heat? Maybe to preheat your hot water?

The moist or humid air is evacuated outside at the same cfm it enters the drying chamber. It runs on and off on a cycle. No plan was eveer intended for savaging the humid air. Think like a clothes dryer in your home. Same principle. It is more economical than dehumidifying.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Man, apparently I need to start becoming knowledgeable on oriental rugs so I may be able to do this one day.

I clean some wool rugs on site but honestly rugs kinda scare me.

Where's a good place for a rug newb to get started learning and training?

Aaron Groseclose or Ruth Travis instruct an IICRC RCT course.

rick imby

Name
Rick
My thought is build a water preheater heat exchanger like a TM.

Wrap 200 feet of copper Tubing around an 8 inch pipe to make a coil. Suspend the coil inside a 14" inside diameter Sewer pipe. The stick you suspend the coil on could have notches to keep the coils apart.

The air intake to this would be right next to your ceiling. Slope it down so the condensed water goes to one end to drain. You can run the drain into one of your trenches.

Run the water through the copper coil before it goes to your water heater.

Since this is all inside you don't need to worry about freezing.

There are no issues with overheating the water or high pressure like in a TM so this is really low tech, low risk.

I would bet this would have a very fast payoff.

Last edited:

rick imby

Name
Rick
With your fabrication skills I'm sure it would be much nicer than what is in my head---

The one I built in my head has about $300 in materials. The payback would be quick...

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
The weather this Saturday got above 60 degrees. Therefore time to paint exterior doors.

The Max Scherzer look to start things out:

IMG_00931.jpg
IMG_00941.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom