Question for northern cleaners with direct drives

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
How do you clean when the temps are 20 or below. We had some rare cold weather here in Tn last week and I was not able to let our new Sapphire 1200 go out and clean. The first day we could not get water. Turns out the transfer pump froze. The van is parked inside at night but the 40 minute ride to the first job was enough to freeze the pump and hose that supplies the fresh water. The next day I had the guys take a space heater and extension cord and plug in at the customers home and face the heater right next to the pump. Worked fine on the first job but the two quick connects on the front panel froze on the drive to the next job so that van had to be taken off the road for a week. My 3 slide in's were fine because they produce enough heat from the engine.

This week the weather is back in the 40's and 50's but still can't get heat past 175 degrees from the Sapphire 1200? Atleast the lines are not freezing.

Nothing fun about wrenching on a brand new machine :( Hopefully we can get it running right before we get busy.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Hey David,

Take a look at this article and the youtube videos I did for the article.

http://mikeysboard.com/2013/12/18/s...making-a-living-and-thriving-in-cold-weather/

Also, since this article, I did a bunch of other youtube videos on cleaning in cold weather. Tried to make them short as well to get to the point.

I use Butlers and with the door closed and the lid up on the unit, I can usually generate enough heat also in the cabin of the van to keep everything from freezing. definitely don't want any doors open very long if you have too.

A week ago, I was cleaning in -35 degrees below zero. Today we were cleaning in a Balmy 11 degrees above zero. Seemed like T shirt weather after the past week or so.

I invite you to call me anytime as well. My cell is 218-259-9099

My contact info is also on my web page as well. I talk to others from all over the cold climates and those that get sudden cold snaps about cleaning in the cold.

Hope it warms up soon for you.

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com

Here is my youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi9UefjEixJPGgxWPTnEUhg

Reactions: Russ T. and Newman

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Sounds like they had the doors open WAY too much buddy : (

You have to keep the doors closed as much as possible, heater stay on high.
Here we go wit Doc's Favorite word again: PORT HOLE
Mine your supposed to shut the heat or air off before engaging the unit. I accidentally did it once and it all sounded the same whoops. Someone else posted about their biggest fear was the cold air rising through the floor of the rig between jobs. 15 degrees flips me out! Hotter Stat if its fluid exchanged or High Output alternator (Should have them already!) and a Inverter to run a heater would work.

I actually ran a few jobs, not at peak though. Had to sheet and geet with it during the sunshine : )

PCCN

You say the "transfer pump" froze up? Hmmm, I have been looking at buying one of these and was told it didn't have a transfer pump. Seems like someone from sapphire didn't know what they were talking about when they tried to sell me. Thanks for the info.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
my cut off point was -5.........after that you start hurting equipment or worse.....
when i was a young buck an' needed money for the bar that nite.....
i devised a tent with snap on's as an entrance to the side doors....
the HX's usually would keep the back of the van warm.....lik a hot water radiator

FredC

Village Idiot
You say the "transfer pump" froze up? Hmmm, I have been looking at buying one of these and was told it didn't have a transfer pump. Seems like someone from sapphire didn't know what they were talking about when they tried to sell me. Thanks for the info.

or maybe they do and the transfer pump is required due to David's water pond?

Name
Jesse
It may be possible to delete the transfer pump and water box by using a very large diameter supply hose. I'd try 1.5 or 2" hose all the way to just before the pump. I really don't like transfer pumps or water boxes.

What kind of heat were your slide ins producing? Maybe a 2nd coolant exchanger will be needed since your in an area that gets pretty cold.

Name
Jesse
I'd also warm the machine up before leaving the shop. If your blower and blower exchanger are hot then you'll have a little more heat back there.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Get your van hot inside as you drive, blast your heat. If it's too uncomfortable, take your coat off. Turn your machine on when you arrive at the job and recirculate your water back to your fresh water pond, ( you'll need to attach a quick connect to a male garden hose connect from the hardware store), keep those doors shut and the van hot. It's too easy to freeze water with cold wind blowing in.
If your Pro1200 isn't putting out 240 degrees, you may to bleed the HXs and add more antifreeze. It's been six or seven years since I had to bleed mine, but I think I filled mine from the blower HX on top of the machine and undid the plug on the lower HX until coolant ran out. As soon as I did it ran at 240 and within a day I burst two high pressure water lines on the machine. LOL

Chris A

Name
Chris
That's interesting because I have the same problem with my slide in truck. My CDS/van stays toasty once the van warms up. I only shut the doors if its below 20 outside and I never freeze anything.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
10 degrees is my limit.
I can't haul my old fat ass fast enough to make sure things don't freeze.

I suppose if you have to do apartments and late night restuarants you'll have to figure something out.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I'm quite interested in learning why your unit is not able to put out the required heat. I understand the freezing aspect of your post, and agree with the pork holes. I have advocated them for years.

If your heat issues are not easily fixed, it will have an impact on my next purchase.

I REALLY want to buy a 1200 from TCS.

So let me know.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I'm quite interested in learning why your unit is not able to put out the required heat. I understand the freezing aspect of your post, and agree with the pork holes. I have advocated them for years.

If your heat issues are not easily fixed, it will have an impact on my next purchase.

I REALLY want to buy a 1200 from TCS.

So let me know.

I'm interested by that too. Even my almost 4000 hour old c.d.s. will put out 210 atm with a 09 flow wand at 50 degrees.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Has to be something minor.

On the Butler there is a ball valve that controls the temp, it's located inside the cowling. Turn it towards blue it it reduces the temp, red and it produces hotter water.

It's so simple even Porkchop could figure it out.......well maybe with some help from Jim Martin. :p

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
210 at the truck and when you are dragging it across ground when it's COLD your temps will be much lower.

Use your tact pie and compensate for lack of heat.

If I was to run a PTO in the southern HELLHOLE states I would be propping my hood up on every job.

Reactions: GCCLee

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Thanks for the input. Looks like a port hole is first on the list so we can shut the doors all the way.

Thats what we do with butler.
Never have had a freeze inside the butler, couple times had a line freeze because it sat in a snow bank too long.

Kinda weird, they must have had those doors wide open and the wind just caught it right.

Buck1955

Name
John
If you cant put a port hole in use a bungee cord to keep the door as closed as possible. Maybe even use a door guard on the truck. I don't work unless I have to in sub zero temps, too hard on the equipment and the ol man.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Pipe insulation works great on hoses that touch the floor or are draped in by the door step also..

Name
Jesse
If I was to run a PTO in the southern HELLHOLE states I would be propping my hood up on every job.

Our PTO's are fine with the hood closed even in 120F heat during the summer. Starting out I was concerned about running all day in the summer. Years later and after many jobs running 8+hrs in 115+F we've never seen a temp gauge move upward at all. No chevy's here though.

Name
Jesse
My opinion on why most pto's are in Chevy's is that the motors won't last as long as a ohc Ford.

Do they have similar hours/miles Doc?

doylebloss

Supportive Member
Name
Doyle Bloss
David, here is an article we put together for our customers on cold weather operations. You can see if there is an idea or two you can use. Mark Saiger's video series is outstanding too.

I have also asked our technical support team if they have ay ideas specific to your situation since we are so familiar with direct drive operations in cold weather. I will let you know if they have an ideas that are not already posted here.

Name
Steve Lawrence
Hmm, I can't understand why any PTO would be a problem in the cold--at least when it's installed in a standard van. Isn't your heater on making the cab and machine area cozy warm?

We keep our heater on high while in the job. We also preheat our hoses by running the machine and circulating water back to the fresh water tank--gives you plenty of time to lay hose out on frozen ground without a freeze-up.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
My Cleanco has been great in this cold. I'm pretty sure there isn't a transfer pump though, it's gravity fed. I don't even really worry about rushing through set up unless it's down in the teens...and I work alone. I ran Hydramaster CDS units in Summit County, CO for a few years and don't remember having issues there either. That area sits at almost 9000 feet and Winters are loooooooong! I think you are giving up a little heat by running a CDS but I'm willing to pay that price for convenience. Watch Saigers videos, he cleans in any cold with his Butlers. There's no reason you can't learn to do the same. Oh, I've never used port holes but am going to install one on my Ford/Cleanco. I'm sure that would keep it toasty in there so I don't worry about the valves in my tools freezing.

The Clean Machine

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom