Question: How do you know a pump is done?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Out on a job today and I hear the belts squeeling I shut everything down and take a look, nothing I can see(didn't have a flashlight). I turn the pump back on and it runs for a couple minutes, just enough to finish(thank god) the part of the building I presprayed and I look and see smoke coming out of the van. I run up and the belts had basiclay melted and snapped in the same spot.

I shut everything down called Marty to hop over as soon as he got out to finish and I drove to a vacant area to fully investigate. Both belts snapped loose, the belt drive on the pump was moving fine until engaged then it was locked down. There was no loss of pressure, no issues at all just bang, snap no water. I am trying to get a hold of the mechanic but wanted a bulletin board diagnosis first.

Name
Lee Stockwell
How's the oil? If it is near full, drain at least some of it and look for metal.

However, I suspect you ran it out of oil.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I run up and the belts had basiclay melted and snapped in the same spot.

the only way that this is going to happen is if the system locked up...........something made it stop turning....and the main drive cooked the belts......

not knowing what you are running..could of been an idler pulley...could of been the pump bearings...or as Lee stated...might of locked up the pump...

Name
Lee Stockwell
Depending on the pump, and the length of time without oil, it may not be fatal. I've filled one with WD -40 and gently rocked the pulley back and forth until it turned over. Then drained and refilled oil...and went back to work for many months.

If you take off the pump and it rattles when you shake it...it's toast. :-)

Always have a spare.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
It is on the apex. Never bought a pump before. what should I look for?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Becker must be behind it in some way.

Like the other problems in your life.

Just saying...............

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I believe mine is 4.1 gals flow rate but does anyone know if either of these would work?
http://www.cobbcarpet.com/tmacc.html

General Pump
w/Teflon Seals
#GN9951 .. $479.95
Run Dry Capability
Hi Flow- 3.5 GPM
Freeze Proof Head
Ceramic Plungers
Largest Pump Manufacturer in World

General Emperor Pump
Run-Dry Pump
w/Teflon/Graphite Seals
#GN9952 .. $549.95
Hi Flow- 3.8 GPM @ 2000 PSI
Freeze Proof Head
Ceramic Plungers

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Thanks Kevin.

I was unaware I had any problems Dave. I think life is pretty good.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
you can make nearly any pump work, Greg

it's just a matter of how much of a PITA it will be installing compared to a pump that will be a direct replacement ....IE..no hardware modifications, etc

google your pump model number (serial # too if applicable) ..check pricing and availability that way

..L.T.A.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
that is why I am trying to match meAt. Thanks. I checked the specs on the one kevin said and ordered it. It will be the mechanics problem now. Luckily only 2 trucks running until Saturday so I am overnighting it.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Ditto what Larry said. I put a General from Cobb on a 405 to replace a Cat.

Had to drill two holes and use a different bore pulley.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I know this is probably a stupid question but what is the difference between an upgraded pump and a cheaper pump?

I ordered a cheaper one because I could not find the one with the specs of mine and it match upped the closest.

Now I plan on buying one as a back up what is the benefit to a more expensive pump?

Name
Lee Stockwell
You likely won't notice a nickel's worth of difference. Over the years I've swapped many pumps on many machines.

Unless you are pressure washing or using extreme flow or extreme incoming heat they are all the same.

Just keep oil in them.

Mike Draper

When my Bulter Cat pump went bad they told me their pump is the only one that works. $1,600. or some bullshit number like that. I bought a different cat pump for $450.00 threw it in and it works flawless to this day on my old Butler. You just have to make sure the rpm's and pulley are going to work with the new one. BTW, did you check your clutch?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Clutch is fine.

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help. I have no clue about the machine but I learn each time something happens. In a bag in the shop is spark plugs, pump oil, oil, filters all waiting for maitenance day. Curses

It could not have happened at a better time to be honest. That sucker should be in Weds Night or Thursday morning and ready for the weekend.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
XTREME1 said:
I ordered a cheaper one because I could not find the one with the specs of mine and it match upped the closest.

it's not so much the specs, Greg.
PSI and GPM aren't a big deal for our applications (provided it has sufficient PSI and GPM flow capacity to run your highest psi and flow tool)
I'd guess that would be one of the tile tools .
The pumps you listed are more than enough ....actually most pumps for our application

It's the pump body and shaft size that makes it an easy or PITA change .
a pump that has the same physical size and shape, w/same mounting holes , shaft size and length is what I'm referring to when i say "direct replacement"

..L.T.A.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I know meAt that is why I chose one that fit the best. I wanted to know when I ordered the next one for back up what would be better.

Thanks

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Carry a spare pump? Give me a fookin break. Ive seen too many cc machines. Mine is easy to get at. Aint gettin changed in somebodys fookin drive way. Drill holes. LOL. Stockplie. You are so full of it.

Golden Boy

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
for the shop waldo, we have 3 vans. I would be screwed if this week wasn't slow. I can only imagine what overnighting is going to cost just to make sure this one is up by friday

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
$311 plus shipping (overnight will probably hurt) and if I used the place Kevin told me it would be free shipping and $309 but they are on vacation. So I figured when up and running drop 3-5 hundred and save a future head ache

Name
Lee Stockwell
Waldo you moron. I don't think you are Mike Waldron because I remember him being smarter than that.

Of course I meant you should have a spare at the shop...good grief. I have a new 5cp on the shelf.

If you are changing from a Cat to a General Emperor you will have to drill two holes (2min job). The G also has a larger shaft (25mm if I remember right) that means the Cat clutch won't fit. Motion Industries or such will get you back in business.

On the truck I do carry spare belts and electric fuel pump, never needed to change in a "driveway" or anywhere on a job.

Able 1

Name
Keith
XTREME1 said:
$311 plus shipping (overnight will probably hurt) and if I used the place Kevin told me it would be free shipping and $309 but they are on vacation. So I figured when up and running drop 3-5 hundred and save a future head ache

Is the pump the Kevin posted the one you ordered?? I thought pumps were like $800, at $309 definitely worth it to have a spare! I wonder if I could put that pump on my Peak that has the 3cp?? How many hours do you have on that pump?

I went to my supplier last week and they tried charging me $25 per pint of Gen. pump oil, the Apex takes around three pints! :shock: So I called the Hotsy (general pump) guy in the area and he said just run 30 weight non detergent oil for a grand total of $9.. :x

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I came up with (what I think) is a good idea. As luck would have it the pump took a day longer to deliver, it won't be installed until Friday afternoon and who knows what can go wrong on a Friday before the weekend. I have everything needed and it will get done, I have a ton of confidence in the mechanic but if it didn't I would have to shuffle jobs around and possibly lose some. Even if I had a spare pump on the shelf I would probably be down for atleast a day.

So what I am doing is buying some 115v 200 PSI pumps with extension cords. If belts break or pumps go or anything that would cut the pressure all I have to do is shutdown the pump and redirect the hose to an electric pump to get through. The only issue is with the everest because if one belt goes most likely they are all going

Back
Top Bottom