Rainbow international on undercover boss

Becker

Name
Becker
Hope his is not as pompous as the guy from Diamond Resorts. :roll:

That guy watches the apprentice and try to be The Donald.

I'll set the DVR..

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
It should be interesting as rainbow intl is just one of the companies Owned by the Dwyer group. We also need to remember that rainbows are franchises and not companies owned.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Mikey P said:
what is the premiss of the show?
The CEO gets disguised as a new employee and goes "undercover". They explain the cameras as the company is filming a "documentary" or "training film". (My question is given the success of the show people will start catching on but whatever ...)

Steve

PS Some of the shows are pretty entertaining and take the idea of Putting on the Customer's (and Employee's) Eyeglasses to a new level. Hmmm ... I know some suppliers in this industry that could benefit from this concept!

Connor

Name
Connor
That show tries to portray a CEO struggle as the common grunt so he can see the first hand trials of those in the trenches, as if employees will be shown consideration and gratitude while the executives are supposed to be shown some "mile in his moccasins" humility. I saw the Roto Rooter episode. blech.

My friends who've worked for corporate owned RR franchises know that the corporate rule is to make the employees starve so they will turn more work.

I wonder how this fairy tale of Dwyer Group will pan out. Dwyer group franchises haven't stuck in this area. All eventually give up on how they're treated and drop from their group.

Rainbow Inter'l dropped them and so did Air Serve. They offered to court me into a Mister Rooter Franchise while the last guy was circling the drain. I told them no. The current guy is now seems to be making progress, but they all do till the lights get shut off.

The idea of franchise branding is to build consistency, but statewide, the quality and pricing standards can vary greatly.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
the belfor episode was funny. I wonder how the other employees felt knowing they worked just as hard as the people in the episode if not harder and they got nothing.

the problem with rainbow, is they still want like 9% gross last I knew. thats 9% off the top before any expenses are paid. What do you get for that 9%, very little if any name recognition, and some technical help. The technical help could be had for free from your local supplier. The name recognition isn't worth 9%. imagine if you just hired someone full time to pimp your business and paid them the 9% instead. who is going to be money ahead??

I have a unique prospective on rainbow in particular because in '95 I started in this line of work, working for them at the home office franchise in waco texas. It still the funnest job I ever had, but that was because we were straight commission and the owner was really cool. We got to take the vans home and use them for personal use. when slow we had a giant bone yard of old equipment and I would go pimp out my equipment and modify other things for my uses. Most of the time all the techs would have lunch at one of the best places in town because we knew the area. anyways does anyone know who they are going to feature from rainbow on the show. I might know them??

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Her names dina. Her father started the company. Rainbow sent me an email about it for some reason

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I went thru their school way back and was supposed to work for the local guy.
He wanted me to rent the equipment/chems and get my own van to put them in.
I said WTF when I was supposed to go out and get my jobs too.

Back then It was a shampoo and rinse method.

I could have bought some territory from the franchise in the BAD PARTS of town .

Nobody knows the name around here , it's not like SS.

I don't believe the show .
How do you explain to the workers why a camera is following you around?

I just see it for what it is.......MARKETING to get the company name on TV.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
They grew to 3-4 trucks here in the 80's, they did most of the apartments in town and then imploded after a divorce. I think one of the owners moved on to be a corporate trainer.

They look more positioned for fire and water than when they were here last. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before the get a new one here. They called and emailed us for years trying to get us to sign up or at least come take a tour. :roll:

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman
I was a franchisee for my first 10 years. Last I knew it was 9% or a set amount per week($75-150) depending on your volume.They wanted you to buy chems from there supplier, get your insurance thru there company, get all your marketing and advertising thru there company. After about five years, I figured out that all these companies were run by family members. They wanted all your money to be sent there way. All there services they offered was at a premium price. I still have a 20 year old rainbow extractor in my cellar, blue in color and a see thru bubble top.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
joeynbgky said:
Her names dina. Her father started the company. Rainbow sent me an email about it for some reason

dina dwyer, yes I have actually cleaned her house before. hard to believe they are still at it after all these years. they used to have a shampoo called super super premium, that was some great stuff nothing else really like it on the market. back then they told us it crystalized in the carpet and would vacuum out. little did anyone know what it was really doing was encapping!!! and it would one day become an excepted cleaning method by itself.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
Hope his is not as pompous as the guy from Diamond Resorts.
damn, that guy sure was

he sure was, I was glad when Dish Network settled with CBS in my area or I wasn't gonna get to watch that or one of the football games

C

cucu

the show will be
some guy putting on a wig and glasses, of he goes to learn the job
along the way he will come across 3 or 4 sad storys from chimps that work for the company
he,ll cry and weep at the pain of these people , and promise to be a better boss...
oh and come across one wack job that needs to be re trained
then he,ll call them all to his office give them a little extra bunce (money) to make them happy . and we all go away thinking he,s a good guy

call me jaded but its all a crock of s---

Name
Lee Stockwell
cucu said:
the show will be
some guy putting on a wig and glasses, of he goes to learn the job
along the way he will come across 3 or 4 sad storys from chimps that work for the company
he,ll cry and weep at the pain of these people , and promise to be a better boss...
oh and come across one wack job that needs to be re trained
then he,ll call them all to his office give them a little extra bunce (money) to make them happy . and we all go away thinking he,s a good guy

call me jaded but its all a crock of s---
x2

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
The show is F'n gay.

I would sell stock in any company that’s CEO cries like a baby whey the get in the trenches with comom folk .

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Like I said it's just a commercial to market the company on TV.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Lyman said:
I was a franchisee for my first 10 years. Last I knew it was 9% or a set amount per week($75-150) depending on your volume.They wanted you to buy chems from there supplier, get your insurance thru there company, get all your marketing and advertising thru there company. After about five years, I figured out that all these companies were run by family members. They wanted all your money to be sent there way. All there services they offered was at a premium price. I still have a 20 year old rainbow extractor in my cellar, blue in color and a see thru bubble top.

locally we have a company called Rainbo they started out as a Rainbow franchise got tired of paying the royalty went outside and took the W off their trucks and continued right along. at the end of the day giving up 9% of your profits is likely giving up 1/3 of what you take home at the end of the day, that is way too much off the top for the very little brand recognition it gives you. I never understood why they marketed so heavily to existing companies. For me the only way I would consider a franchise is if I was just starting out and the name alone brought with it a certain amount of business. Like servicemaster has the farmers account, servpro advertises and may have some insurance accounts. thats where the value is. I also don't think their royalties are all that much different from each other. so go with the one who brings the most business.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
In the 1980's, when I first got into this industry, one of the things I accomplished was gaining 125 Rainbows as customers, to the consternation of their home office. (I sold the first truckmount to a Rainbow- Joey Phillips of Winston- Salem, NC., which opened the door to others doing the same.) Our dyes were more concentrated and they liked our dye chemicals better... and the REALLY liked the "spray- dyeing" we taught, better than the shampoo- fed scrub- in dyeing Waco taught them, since it was as much as twice as fast as the way they were taught... and had no issues with doing the corners of rooms... :lol:

Along the way, I heard a lot about "Waco", as they called the home office. And one of the more interesting stories I heard from several of our customers (including Don Ramsey, who was one of the original Rainbow franchisees... Durham, N.C. ... who left Guarantee) was this:

Don Dweyer, founder of Rainbow, was a V.P. for Guarantee systems. While there, he set up Rainbow and ran it from inside his office at Guarantee, until he got caught at it by Guarantee and terminated for it. By then, he was more than ready and had enough inertia to keep on going and build Rainbow International Carpet Dyeing and Cleaning Company to over 1,200 franchisees at it's height.

In 1986, Waco sent Don Dweyer's son and a V.P. out to see us... apparently to try to intimidate us into not selling to their people. (They'd become aware of the fact that over 10% of their franchisees were dealing with us at the time.) It was pretty funny... and a wasted trip for them.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
duane, sorry to tell you but rainbow taught spray dyeing. doing it as a scrub WAS a method but not the primary one. primary was fill up a portable extractor with dye and connect a spray want. scrubbing was only used for tint jobs and making the dye penetrate better. it was all a moot point once the stain resistant carpets came out, yeah they could be done just not very well as the dye would never penetrate all the fiber to the base.

as for chemicals rainbow had some good proprietary stuff that to this day I would still buy if I could. super super premium shampoo and their original kill odor, knowing the EPA the kill odor is probably long since banned, other than a few proprietary chemicals most of rainbows line was off the shelf prochem stuff.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Steve:

No problem.

I know that over 100 customers didn't lie to me. It's true that some did spray, with a fan jet, vs. the cone jet we taught, but it wasn't the predominant way it was done.

They used a shower- feed brush, connected to a rotary scrubber with a solution tank. And it was essential that they overlapped precisely and consistently to get an even job. They had to do the corners of a room separately and by hand, which they really didn't like and wanted a better way to do. And they had to scrub the rooms vertically as well as horizontally when dyeing.
Many of the ones I dealt with "tinted" on most jobs. They considered it that routine... and the considered it to be a marketing advantage.

Later, they tried a new design that used brushes that were on rollers, and it was a disaster aggravated by a design flaw that slung the solution up and into the drive motor. It was touted to be faster and better, but was neither. And the franchisees who had them, shelved them, either going back to rotary, or bucking the system entirely and going to truck mounts.

Premium and Super Premium Shampoo, BTW, were actually "shampoo", in that they contained SLS. They had a fragrance in them that was unique and sort of a very sweet lemon, or lemon - bubblegum. If I remember correctly, the difference between the two was how concentrated they were. (We copied it way back then and sold it by the bucket at a lower price than Waco did.)

They also had, "Dye Shampoo".

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
From what I saw years ago prochem was their main chem line.
And Nilium was their favorite deo. and I believe nilium also made the shampoo.

The skunk odor removal deo now reminds me of that stuff.

Very strong.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Well..............they didn't show the carpet cleaning side.. but.....I would buy a franchise from them..... the ceo was pretty awesome. Anyone else watch it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom