Ran Into A Couple Amish Guys Today.....

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I was on a fire job today, and 2 Amish carpenters were there working. All dressed in the clothes and hats and beards. They were intrigued by the Genesis, and both were checking out the TM. Wally and Aron.

I believe they were trying to figure out how to get a horse to run the equipment.....

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
rwcarpet said:
I was on a fire job today, and 2 Amish carpenters were there working. All dressed in the clothes and hats and beards. They were intrigued by the Genesis, and both were checking out the TM. Wally and Aron.

I believe they were trying to figure out how to get a horse to run the equipment.....
They probably figured it was the magic tool for mucking out stalls.LOL

Name
Lee Stockwell
I met an Amish man from up the road in KY who was a Maytag mechanic.

It seems his branch of the church was adamently against electrically powered machines, but thought gasoline engines had God's approval...go figure.

Thus he stripped Maytags of most running gear and replaced it with a Honda engine. Said he'd fixed dozens of 'em.

God smiled....and me too.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Lee Stockwell said:
I met an Amish man from up the road in KY who was a Maytag mechanic.

It seems his branch of the church was adamently against electrically powered machines, but thought gasoline engines had God's approval...go figure.

Thus he stripped Maytags of most running gear and replaced it with a Honda engine. Said he'd fixed dozens of 'em.

God smiled....and me too.

v]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB7IOIiWUiAv]

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
There are a lot of Amish around here, Ar-Dub.
The sign when you enter Middlefield (North west of you appx 30 miles) says it's the 4th largest Amish community in the world

I'm sure Zeb and Zeke are familiar with power equipment .
They're no strangers to it.
They use power tools to frame houses for hire and diesel saw mills to cut timber.
Most Amish furniture for sale is made in modern carpentry shops

as i understand it from talking to some Yoaders, the church/community elders have latitude in what is acceptable.
And it's deemed acceptable to use all modern tools for any and all work for hire and commerce related stuff

they might use gas lamps in their homes, but halogen work lights are fine at the job sites

..L.T.A.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Were they Amish or Mennonites?
Mennonites tend to be more tolerant of technology and the outside world than the Amish.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Goomer said:
Were they Amish or Mennonites?
Mennonites tend to be more tolerant of technology and the outside world than the Amish.

there are both here .
far more Amish than Mennonite though in our particular area (RW lives appx 25 miles east of me)

Mennonites drive to walmart in their own cars
Amish pile out of the Yoader bus they contract

I know several guys that haul Yoaders to and from work and shopping in the evening
Yoaders pay van owners pretty well .

One of the dudes I know has multiple vans and hires drivers

Yoaders have plenty money too...they're not cheap, but pretty damn smart with their money.
One of the drivers I know is currently hauling a framing crew to Cleavland.
Their construction trailer (they left on the job site) was stolen .
When they got there that morning and discovered it was stolen, Papa Yoader had the driver take him to Home Depot where he promptly spend several thou$and in CASH for new tools

..l.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i come from a Mennonite-Seventh-Day Adventists background ......
grandad was a chisled in stone Amish break-away........
and grandma was the most God fearing person on the planet.........

i found it all so stupit.............

hogjowl

Idiot™
dc klaatu said:
i come from a Mennonite-Seventh-Day Adventists background ......
grandad was a chisled in stone Amish break-away........
and grandma was the most God fearing person on the planet.........

i found it all so stupit.............

Yeah, and look how well yOU turned out to be! :shock:

amygeorge

Supportive Member
Name
Amy Lorance
we used to have Amish men come out and build barns, etc. they would sleep in the barns and the landowners brought them food. i was just worried because they didn't bathe daily!

hardest working fellas ever!

amygeorge

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
amygeorge said:
i was just worried because they didn't bathe daily!

LOL...
you might get used to not bathing daily if you had to heat water on a wood stove for the morning tub

hardest working fellas ever!

a project manager I know says you have to watch them like a hawk ..cause they'll do some slipshod work if not.
things like skipping every other nail in roof shingles and subflooring (to save money on nail costs)

when they buy timber ,(or contracted to cut ) they leave the site a MESS

The Mexicans are the hardest workers up here

..L.T.A.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Sen. Scott Beason (one of our wonderful legislaters) has run off all the Mexicans in Alabama. So, now we have no one to pick our vegetables.

That idiot.

John Buxton

When I lived in Ohio on a Clydesdale breeding farm we had a bunch of amish help us work and repair. We always had a cold case of bud on hand. they arent supposed to drink but... Every 4th of July we had a cookout for all of their families new and old order amish. Their kids would line up for me to light their sparklers like quiet well behaved dressed alike kids that thought they just got a hundred dollar bill. Great people and they may have the right idea.

Lars

Name
Lars
Mardie said:
rwcarpet said:

They probably figured it was the magic tool for mucking out stalls.LOL

Hahaha, Right!

Name
Nate W.
Everything I think of Amish people, it reminds me of the movie KingPin... :lol:

x]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUtSazFb5qMx]

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
The amish are some of the most notorious puppy mill breeders around. Known for kitchen table c-sections with no anesthesia and de-barking dogs by shoving pipes down their throats. The pretty, picturesque barns and sheds often hide some cruel and horrific dog breeding conditions.

Take care,
Lisa

Connor

Name
Connor
Bawb, why did you bring that into the conversation??

Seriously?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom