Sir Dyson, Lord of the Flock..

Mikey P

Administrator
Are modern Dyson vacuums still RIPPING apart wool carpets?

This bastard is viscous!

20121019_094454_zps00d340ac.jpg

4 years of abuse...

20121019_093321_zps5c209b31.jpg

Loaded with fluff and plaque residue...:errf:

20121019_093837_zpsc4d6c510.jpg

and no one to blame but herself and her lack of reading warranties and doing some research..

20121019_092923_zpsad5e5d0a.jpg

I guess the Dyson doesn't offer close to the edge grooming after all...

20121019_092910_zpsdff43fad.jpg

What are you Dyson owners seeing?

Has the twisted roll

been replaced with the tubular roll?

and is it any gentler?

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I think today's beater bar is better than the one you are showing in the picture above. Even though we use Dyson's a lot, very rarely on wool. Today's Dyson also has a selection mode for setting the bar height. That one there is an auto adjust, if it does auto adjust.

Mark Saiger

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
The tubular roller has been around many years. The DC17 Absolute has had the tubular roll for years. It does not get loaded up like the other one but it is still to aggressive for wool or even some fine polys. I turn the roller off when working on wools.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Dyson is the best vac on the market. I haven't found a vacuum yet that will edge close to the baseboards, but the Dyson comes with a nifty tool that you can use to edge with ... it's called an attachment hose and tool. Most cleaners have no idea what that is or how to use it. Pitiful!

And, another thing, the Dyson is one of the few vacuums that does not lose suction when the attachment hose is removed.

Dyson gets a bum rap from some cleaners like bucky the bulletin board baron and my idol Ladwig, but I have no idea why. I guess success is something to be resented in todays world. I have not found a better vacuum. The Shark could be, as good, if they would get serious.

Last edited:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Also with all the models they have the $300 version with a twisty beater that doesn't work to good on the animal version they have the round beater bar.

Much better needs belts replaces I have 2 a dc33 and a dc17, the 17 is way better but is an animal.

As for edging the dc17 hose comes out real east edges are a breeze Dyson hides much better then the sharks brittle hose.

My question to mike in a previous thread when he got the shark pro was how do the hoses hold up? They look better.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I've never had a problem such as you describe above with any carpet, apart from berber that has already had prior damage where if you don't inspect and snip prior to vacuuming, you will get a zipper.

We also don't get many wool carpets where I am compared to down south.

Just not popular in the tropics here.

Best Dyson we've had was the old DC04 which was made in the U.K.

Shorty.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Dan gave me a consumer reports mag that showed my Shark at #7 and and there were cheaper models rated higher. He's a party pooper!

Shark is a nice vacuum, very strong good costruction and easy dump dirt bin. I just don't care for white but all the rest are positives.

Ron K

The issue os the Red Bristle on some Dysons have no give in them and are just like wooden dowels. I think there is a rug manufacturer that says if you use a Dyson you void their warranty.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Mikey;

The CRI speaker at Connections said that the Dyson,

would NOT be a "green label" recommended vac in their testing.

He stated damage concerns.

Larry

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
The issue os the Red Bristle on some Dysons have no give in them and are just like wooden dowels. I think there is a rug manufacturer that says if you use a Dyson you void their warranty.

I believe MANY wool carpet manufactures say that Ron.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
The dyson suction is great. If you do use it on wool use the floor selection rather than the carpet. There is no adjustment on the dyson . The floor is suction only . Carpet as you know run the brush with no adjustment. The bristles are to stiff and to agressive for wool. Like Ron said if you use it on wool you void the warranty. I get so much pamplets in the rolls that state do not use dyson. Some say do not use a beater bar or roller brush , suction only.

Mikey P

Administrator
yeah but suction alone is not going to remove much fine dirt/sand.

Where would you say the balance lies in a uprights performance when it come to the brush roll's ability to whisk up the soil and the vacuum's lift to take it away to the cup or bag..

I'm going to say that 70% of the actual soil removal is dependent on the "whisking"

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
I agree with you Mikey. I, don't use the Dyson for the reason I do so much wool . But I do let my customers know not to use it on the wool products.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We have the second one, bought at Walmart. Looks a light in the loafers but vacuums like a beast.

Love it, one of the guys bought one for his own homes after using ours.

Reactions: Derek

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
thanx! so how does the hose & wand compare? the Dyson's is a great design and very long and practical.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I could probably see it happening if the dyson was used daily on a wool carpet with the real aggressive beater bar..........but I have used the DC14 for 8 years now on everything out there and it has never hurt anything....probably one of the most reliable tools on my trucks........I have had to replace one..but it did not break...it just simply wore out.....never sank a penny into to it.....the wand on it is so easy to edge with....take it a part and wash it all out once a month and it is good as new...........

Mikey P

Administrator
well yeah, one visit a year from you and your Dyson aint going to shred it like the one above.

Hers obviously did over a 4 year span

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
hiyas Joel :) let me know what you guys think of it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom