Some suggestions please (pump problem)

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We are also fortunate to have a distributor just 20-minutes from our shop.

I can feel Dave's frustration, nothing is worse than not having a TM or a truck up and running.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Jim you are right and over the past month I learned more about this machine then I want to know. I find it odd that I take heat for not being able to figure out the problem when 2 tm distributors have had it in their shop and can't figure it out and yes I have been through every scenario with Cobbs serviced dept at least 5 times trouble shooting ideas while on the phone. Ray and Larry have been very helpful and are always there to answer questions. Thing is I don't want to know what or why. There are more important things to do. Once we try all the basics on a tm that needs service and can't figure it out we just take somewhere and to fix it, Done end of story and we go do what we do best, make money and build a business I'm at my shop maybe 20 hours a week and problems like this I just want to take it somewhere and have it fixed. It shouldn't consume so much of my time. I appreciate all the suggestions and some sound good but without seeing what is really going on you can't offer a real guess as to how to fix it. The problem is not that it will not prime (although it won't most time) sometimes it will but won't last. In the end I'll find someone that just by sheer luck will stumble across a fix.

Last year I had a new heat and air system put in my house and from day one it didn't work. The company installing it could not figure it out so the manufacture had 4 service companies out before this one guy who looked about as Redneck and backwards as could be figured out that a tiny valve in the copper line going to the air handler in the attic was not opening to let the Freon flow through to the system. This is just how the tm situation will play out. A simple fix hiding in plain sight.

correct me if I am wrong..but isn't this machine home grown by Cobb....???....it not like it is a Hydro master..or a Butler or any other major brand that is out there that most mechanic's see on a daily bases...so you can not expect any distributors mechanic to know its process...they may all squirt and suck..but they all do it different....

being that is the case..then there is only a small handful of people out there that are even qualified to even think they know what is going on..and I am surprised that Larry or Ray have not been able to figure it out.......

Reactions: Desk Jockey

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
Jim my guess this is something they have not encountered before. Ray did mention yesterday that the supplier Cobb was using for pressure regulators changed the spring in them because most companies buying them were building pressure washers. They did not inform the tm builders about this and because they use a lower psi the water was bypassing the regulator and not always able to build pressure. He is fairly confident that this machine didn't have that regulator but I think its worth replacing the spring anyway because it sure sounds like that is whats happening.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I wonder if it would be worth shipping it back and have them fix it and send it back to you. I know that's a bit of a pain but it would be over and done with. :errf:

FredC

Village Idiot
correct me if I am wrong..but isn't this machine home grown by Cobb....???....it not like it is a Hydro master..or a Butler or any other major brand that is out there that most mechanic's see on a daily bases...so you can not expect any distributors mechanic to know its process...they may all squirt and suck..but they all do it different....

being that is the case..then there is only a small handful of people out there that are even qualified to even think they know what is going on..and I am surprised that Larry or Ray have not been able to figure it out.......

Just curious Jim........are you in this small handful?

It is exactly the machine they see on a daily basis. A small engine turns a pulley that in turn turns a crankshaft that moves pistons/ plungers that move water. The features that are uniique to the unit (mainly heat exchanger) can all be isolated

Last edited:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
No...unlike some...I don't sit around and pretend I know everything and have all the answers...I try to give just basic suggestions off of what I read.....thats all anyone can do....

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I am surprised that Larry or Ray have not been able to figure it out

it's not a complicated machine is it??
Maybe Cobblet will fly Lockhart out to fix it.
He knows and likes Cobb-o-Matics ..

has the local "pressure washer" mechanic been on the phone with Ray while the unit is in front of him?
(or any of the other TM techs that have found nothing wrong)

You know as well as i do, there's just not that many things it could be on a basic system like that.
most any mechanic that understands pressure wash systems should be able to talk to Ray and troubleshoot the whole system from one end to the other

..L.T.A.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
it's not a complicated machine is it??
Maybe Cobblet will fly Lockhart out to fix it.
He knows and likes Cobb-o-Matics ..

has the local "pressure washer" mechanic been on the phone with Ray while the unit is in front of him?
(or any of the other TM techs that have found nothing wrong)

You know as well as i do, there's just not that many things it could be on a basic system like that.
most any mechanic that understands pressure wash systems should be able to talk to Ray and troubleshoot the whole system from one end to the other

..L.T.A.

I doubt that it is that complicated and just because they all spray and suck..does not mean they all do it the same way...more so when it is a home grown unit...and when the guys that made it are struggling...then there is something strange going on...

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Time is money and so far this sucker has cost Dave big time money. I'd cut my losses with one of theses 3- choices.

1) Drive that unit to Texas and back
2) Pull it, palletize it and ship it back for repair.
3) Fly Cobb's mechanic up to Knoxville.

I'm sure once Cobb gets hands on they can figure it out, fix it and get it back up and running for Dave.

Reactions: Jim Martin

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
3) Fly Cobb's mechanic up to Knoxville.

round trip airfare would likely be the least expensive option .
Couple hundred airfare, $100 for Motel 6 and dinner and whatever Cobblet charges
(if Dave didn't get some kind warranty with the used unit)

and even if did get some kind of warranty, it's unreasonable to think it includes coming to Dave

shipping there and back would the most expensive option .

and when the guys that made it are struggling...then there is something strange going on

we don't know if Dave has the mechanical aptitude/capacity to understand what's being said over the phone.
(that's NOT a knock on Dave, i promise) many folks just aren't mechanical enough.

Kind of like I am with techno stuff...i'm barely functional with a calculator ...what is simple to you and most others, fries my brain trying to grasp it

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
It's not like a TM can fall off a freight truck.

depends on the hillbillies hauling it I reckon ......

article-0-0BF3DDF700000578-129_634x481.jpg

.L.T.A.

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
Jim my guess this is something they have not encountered before. Ray did mention yesterday that the supplier Cobb was using for pressure regulators changed the spring in them because most companies buying them were building pressure washers. They did not inform the tm builders about this and because they use a lower psi the water was bypassing the regulator and not always able to build pressure. He is fairly confident that this machine didn't have that regulator but I think its worth replacing the spring anyway because it sure sounds like that is whats happening.
David, If you would give me a call pretty sure I can help you.

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
Well as predicted it all came down to a simple fix that should have been found fairly quick but was missed. I want to thank the several helpful members that posted some suggestions for us to look for and the many phone calls I also received from guys offering some advice. Of course as always there were a few haters here who blasted me for not know how to run a tm, not knowing how to prime a pump, running the pump dry, buying the wrong tm and so on but I always expect that.

I guess the most frustrating part of this is that 2 large tm shops didn’t find this and the other member who looked at it told me I just didn’t know what I was doing and there’s nothing wrong with the machine just because it primed for him. He ignored the fact the we told him the prime would come and go depending on the day. Just because it primed when he tried it didn’t mean it was fixed and he never looked for the real reason there was an issue. Instead he reveled in the fact that he could try to make me look clueless about how to fix or operate a tm. But enough about the haters and bullies. So what was the problem?

Well it took TCS in Atlanta only 30 minutes to find it. There was a small crack on the back side of the chemical injector that would suck air and not let the pump prime. It was on the backside and only visible if you removed it and looked at the back. In the beginning the crack was small enough to still let the pump prime intermittently and depending on vibration, heat and other factors it just got worse to where it would not let the pump prime at all. So in the end it cost me $1158 to fix a $60 part.

Attachments

• meter.pdf
    42.1 KB · Views: 371

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
Again Mike your wrong , they both looked at my vans & were very nice to me, they each have looked at my trucks a few times since the 1200 incident 1.5 years ago. Last year when I was talking to Matt at Cleaners Depot I even mentioned that I doubt they would want me to bring a van in for service and he said nothing was further from the truth and they would be glad to be our service provider and he even sent me a few cases of their products to try. Many times your inflated ego and head think you and your board have more influence then you think. The smart ones here know to believe half of what you say.

As for Fred getting his panties in a wad I still stand by my statement that he glossed over the problem. I appreciated his offer and effort but when he accused me and my techs of not knowing how to prime a pump or run a machine it showed his true intensions all along of just wanting to show us up and make it seem like were didn't know what we were doing. His first words to me when he called after looking at the machine were " there is nothing wrong with your machine you just didn't know how to prime it" If his candy ass feeling get hurt thats tough. So you can continue to spew your hate and contempt along with your half truths thats fine. The smart ones know better. Like I said I had many emails and phone calls from people that really care and understand the situation and they far out number the haters here.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Dave,
Glad to hear you got your machine fixed. We learn from every experience, good or bad. While I don't enjoy these situations, I always appreciate the help I get from smarter people than me.

FredC

Village Idiot
for Fred getting his panties in a wad I still stand by my statement that he glossed over the problem. I appreciated his offer and effort but when he accused me and my techs of not knowing how to prime a pump or run a machine it showed his true intensions all along of just wanting to show us up and make it seem like were didn't know what we were doing. His first words to me when he called after looking at the machine were " there is nothing wrong with your machine you just didn't know how to prime it" If his candy ass feeling get hurt thats tough. So you can continue to spew your hate and contempt along with your half truths thats fine. The smart ones know better. Like I said I had many emails and phone calls from people that really care and understand the situation and they far out number the haters here.

I don't know what to say David except here is your money back you useless POS.

fudavid.jpg

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
Hoses were changed on the chem feed system beyond that I did not know what else to check on it. Like I stated fixing things aint my deal thats why I pay others who should know better. Nice try Mike but think about this...why didn't Fred look at that ummmmm?

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
I'm done except to clear up any lies posted . I just wanted to let everyone know what is was. To continue a soap opera drama is not on my agenda. I know you thrive off it but I will just address the lies.

Mikey P

Administrator
changing hoses is not isolating.

Why? I'd imagine because he got it to work, and work and work.

If you had let him know right away that it failed again, and had him come up I'm pretty darn sure he would have checked that as well.

Name
Lee Stockwell
David your gratitude is amazing.

Years ago Bob Savage drove several hundred miles to help after you bought second hand one of his machines and a generator.

You then ripped him on the boards.

Same response to all who tried to help with the 1200.

Now this latest saga provides the common element in each case: YOU.

Reactions: Mikey P

Able 1

Name
Keith
Last time I took my machine on for service at the local supplier(2006) I paid like $600 for a $10 diode.. At that point I knew I had to dig in and learn all I can about how my truckmount worked,or get used to paying alot for service. Another thing I chose to do is stay with the same manufacturer

Reactions: ronbeatty
J

JS41035

I have a property that I work for. It has been constant drama. All the property managers only text. No phone calls. They won't even answer. It amazes me how quickly problems escalate. How bad motives are assumed. But when I drive to there office and talk to them everything is quickly resolved and we both leave laughing.
I think some private phone calls should be made. Talk to each other one on one. Bad communication and stubbornness has destroyed a lot of friendships.
So many people have had bitter arguments online. They could have resolved it with a phone call.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom